Sound Quality in Unofficial Releases

Dirigible

how the hell do you "remix" something that was recorded on a cassette tape recorder?

i.e., an audience bootleg

You can apply compression and equalisation etc to the audio - this is a 'remaster' rather than a 'remix' and can have limited success in bringing out different frequencies.

how the hell do you "remix" something that was recorded on a cassette tape recorder?

i.e., an audience bootleg

Remixed is an action verb, man!

Don't forget Badgeholders is a Mike Millard recording on a 1975 Nakamichi stereo recorder. He used AKG Acoustics studio quality mikes. Nakamichi was the first to use a three-head recording technique in a cassette deck. Separate tape heads were used for playback, recording, and erase. Prior methods combined the playback/recording function into a single tape head. The three-head mechanism optimized each head and allowed the user to monitor the recording quality as it happened. $2000 tape recorders (a lot more money in 1975 than it is now) had recording level gauges among their many bells and whistles. The three-head feature was limited to their higher end units, which Millard certainly had. Those decks were portable but about the size and weight of an early VCR so he probably had to stash the recorder under the seat of his wheelchair.

In the studio my friend basically tweaked the graphics, trying to bring up the existing highs, the bottom was already there in abundance. I did say 'to almost no avail.'

Remixed is an action verb, man!

Don't forget Badgeholders is a Mike Millard recording on a 1975 Nakamichi stereo recorder. He used AKG Acoustics studio quality mikes. Nakamichi was the first to use a three-head recording technique in a cassette deck. Separate tape heads were used for playback, recording, and erase. Prior methods combined the playback/recording function into a single tape head. The three-head mechanism optimized each head and allowed the user to monitor the recording quality as it happened. $2000 tape recorders (a lot more money in 1975 than it is now) had recording level gauges among their many bells and whistles. The three-head feature was limited to their higher end units, which Millard certainly had. Those decks were portable but about the size and weight of an early VCR so he probably had to stash the recorder under the seat of his wheelchair.

In the studio my friend basically tweaked the graphics, trying to bring up the existing highs, the bottom was already there in abundance. I did say 'to almost no avail.'

ahh i see now

that makes a lot of sense

haha i'm the same way with bootlegs

i'll pay $30 and listen to it once or twice

haha i'm the same way with bootlegs

i'll pay $30 and listen to it once or twice

Been there, theremin, yeah! And maybe just maybe someday I might get tired of clean pristine Led and decide to listen to something recorded a quarter mile away. I can if the spirit moves me because I have some of the worst crap that ever drizzled from the anus of collectordom.

If I may wax poetic.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Everyone,

I was hoping someone could PM me with info on how to acquire boots, if that is allowed.

Thanks

The official site probably isn't the best place to ask this, much depends on what country you live in, I can only speak for the UK an it is very diificult to find anything and when you do usually CDRs of variable quality (often unlistenable because of digital noise) and expensive, so I no longer bother looking. Having said this the internet is a far reaching tool do some searches and you will be surprised what you can find. Try searching on something like Led Zep ROIO.

Great pity that Zep haven't done what some other bands have done and release their own bootlegs often using cleaned up illegal sources would be ironic to see a bootleger trying to sue them for bootlegging him.

Andy

Archived