Robert Plant and Sting

A few years ago Robert and Band were opening for Sting on his World Tour.

Somewhere along the line Robert and Sting had a falling out which led to a number of quotes by Robert criticizing and needling Sting. These remarks incl. Sting's lifestyle and performances.

At the time there seemed to be some connection to Sting's song "Desert Rose" and something that Robert was working on, maybe a similiar song or lyric?

Does anyone here have some more info on why they are not friends to this day?

Jason told a great story about his Dad knocking Sting out with one punch back in the day. I also think there was bad feeling about Sting using Hossam Ramzy and his orchestra and acting as if he was the first person to ever think of doing it. As for specifics - wish I couldhelp, will try to find out.

Jason told a great story about his Dad knocking Sting out with one punch back in the day. I also think there was bad feeling about Sting using Hossam Ramzy and his orchestra and acting as if he was the first person to ever think of doing it. As for specifics - wish I couldhelp, will try to find out.

Thanks Kneb, I'm just curious as to what, if any, the song Desert Rose may have to play in their animosity.

Funny how that song could have easily been written and sung by Robert with its Arabic, North African roots as well as the call and response vocals. The dramatic string arrangements were amazing and has this tremendous mystical feel to it thanks to Cheb Mami's other-world singing.

I wonder if Sting and Robert had any collaboration that went wrong somehow...

Awesome! B) Dude deserved a good whack, in my opinion...

June 19 2001

Warsaw, Poland Gwardia Stadium -Telekomunikaacja Polska S.A. Music and Film Festival

(Robert Plant & Strange Sensation billed between Polish vocalist Kasia Kowalska and Sting)

July 11 2001

Athens, Greece Herodes Atticus Odeon

(Robert Plant & Strange Sensation billed as opener for Sting)

I've never seen any definitive proof that the gig in Athens was actually held)

It's worth noting Robert specifically cited being in the company of Sting, among other

"celebrity performers" at the 12/10/98 Paris Amnesty International Concert: The Struggle Continues to commemorate 50th Ann. Universal Declaration of Human Rights as a

catlyst for leaving Page/Plant to return to low-key performances on his own terms with his own band the Priory of Brion.

:lol:

John Lydon on Sting: "He's a soggy old dead carcass"

Jason told a great story about his Dad knocking Sting out with one punch back in the day.

Hahaha! That's great.

Although could you imagine getting socked by Bonzo? If his drum playing was any indication as to his power I doubt anybody could take a blow from him and walk away. :blink:

Hahaha! That's great.

Although could you imagine getting socked by Bonzo? If his drum playing was any indication as to his power I doubt anybody could take a blow from him and walk away. :blink:

Yeah, no kidding...it's not much of a fair fight, is it? Bonzo vs. Ronnie Van Zant, on the other hand...now that would've been a serious knock-down, drag-out!

Uh, sorry, didn't mean to get off on a Celebrity Deathmatch tangent here... :huh: Any word on the Desert Rose connection?

This is my only celebrity story. Maybe a dozen years ago, I was with some friends at the Checkerboard Club in Chicago, a legendary but by then overrated blues joint. We were there to see Junior Wells. Now Junior could be great or a disaster, depending on how drunk he was when he came onstage. This was not his best night. Still, we enjoyed the first set.

Between sets Robert Plant walks in with a smallish entourage, just a manager and a groupie. This caused a stir among the white clientele, while the blacks were impressively unimpressed. ("Who is he?" the waitress asked me. "Led Zeppelin? What did they do?") When Junior Wells staggered back out he announced that he was being joined by "a very good friend...good friend...London...who is he? who?...Robert Plant!" Plant jumped on stage and gave a very respectable set of blues, backed by Junior's shaky harmonica and his awesome band. (Every southside Chicago blues band is amazing.)

After the second set some of us went up to Plant to say hello. Alas, the conversation was dominated by my Sting-obsessed friend Justin. "Robert!" he said, "Tell me, did you ever meet STING?" Plant admitted that he had. "Wow! You've met Sting!" my doofus friend exclaimed, as the rest of us (especially Plant) flinched. "What is he like? Are you friends?!"

"Well," Plant said, "Sting is rather the definite article, where as I am an indefinite article."

"Robert, I am not sure I understand you" said Justin, despite being an English major.

"Sting is a 'the' whereas I am an 'a,' " Plant explained. He really was a sweet and patient man, and may have been the only sober person in the bar.

http://www.memoryarchive.org/en/Robert_Pla...ard,_late_1980s

I gather from that assertion that Robert was trying to say "Sting is a self centered prick, whereas I am who I am and I don't think I'm any better than anyone else".

Seems about right. The reason The Police called it quits after barely 6-7 years together is because Sting and Stewart simply couldn't get along. Copeland, whom I've briefly met, is definitely a nice guy but was very headstrong while in The Police. Sting, of course, was the center of attention and it showed in everything they did. They clashed... the band broke up... end of story.

Robert and Sting are like apples and oranges. Different tastes from a different tree.

I thought that the Police were one of Bonzo's favorite bands?.....am I wrong here?

I thought that the Police were one of Bonzo's favorite bands?.....am I wrong here?

According to Jason he loved them and so did Bonzo. So Bonzo approached him to get an autograph for Jason. Sting refused, Bonzo decked him.

According to Jason he loved them and so did Bonzo. So Bonzo approached him to get an autograph for Jason. Sting refused, Bonzo decked him.

:o Never heard that one! Wow. Not saying he should have been decked, but why the hell would he refuse to give him an autograph???

I actually did want to deck Sting, about 10 years ago when he was bragging about his sexual endurance. Talk about a mid life crisis. Putz.

I thought that was funny at the time. It came from a Q interview with him and Bob Geldof where they discussed Tantric sex. It was totally blown out of proportion (excuse the pun ) and taken out of context, and he suffered for it. But hell, he deserved it. And I have a soft spot for him too.

I thought that was funny at the time. It came from a Q interview with him and Bob Geldof where they discussed Tantric sex. It was totally blown out of proportion (excuse the pun ) and taken out of context, and he suffered for it. But hell, he deserved it. And I have a soft spot for him too.

Oh, okay. It just rubbed me the wrong way ( :P ) at the time. It was like when McCartney made sure he was seen buying a sex book with Heather whatshername. Ew.

Yeah, I had a couple of Sting's solo albums in the 80's and they were excellent, I thought.

Well not really - Sting was massively more successful at the time.

I guess it's all in ones tastes.Sting has put out good music,but to me,it is a paled comparison to the music of Robert Plant.Also, having seen both artists a few times,who can command a stage with their presence better than Plant?No one in my book.

you said:

"and I have a soft spot for him too" hahahah now there is a pun.....just kidding :D it sounds kinda funny considering.

I can only assume stupidity, it would have taken a braver man than I to decline such a request from Bonzo! :D

But I don't know why he'd even want to decline. Oh well, maybe there IS more to it. Who knows.

Archived