Astronomy - Planets , Stars & Heavenly Bodies

The Rover

1 hour ago, LedZed66 said:

^ Great video, thanks for posting.

Yesterday's lunar eclipse. Pictures taken by Mr. LedZed

1_DSC_0062.thumb.jpg.9ebf7d17834f3807e27237688992e742.jpg

1_DSC_0062_2.thumb.jpg.0c4a5e6b52501852d2c4b7741658c175.jpg

1_DSC_0090.thumb.jpg.5be5cda000c1840ebf924d1768fecc5f.jpg

Was  looking forward to that last night but we got clouded out here in North West England.

If you have clear skies tonight, you can get a good look at the Red Planet Mars tonight. At 12:45am CDT, Mars is in the Southern sky, about 45 degrees up from the horizon. It's the closest Mars has been to the Earth in 15 years (since 2003).

On 7/28/2018 at 10:43 AM, JTM said:

Was  looking forward to that last night but we got clouded out here in North West England.

It was spectacular because of the perfect, bright sky. I must admit I find eclipses boring, but it was different this time.
The moon was still near the horizon, so it appeared quite big and the red color was beautiful. And it was magical when the eclipse ended and the sun started to illuminate the moon. It would have been a perfect moment for Thus spoke Zarathustra

On 8/2/2018 at 2:19 PM, chef free said:

Mars is close and looking good through a modest 130mm telescope.  Polar cap clearly visible.

Is it closer to us at this time of year?  I know that Venus and Mars have always been "morning stars".  People think they are stars but they are in reality the planets Venus and Mars.  I believe Venus is more visible more often?  But we can see it with the naked eye on most clear mornings. I always wanted a good telescope but I learned its a waste of time where I live.  Near Rochester and Lake Ontario its a horrible place for an astronomer to live.  Visibility is rarely good for seeing stars.  Going out on a ship in the mid Atlantic would be ideal, unless you are on the Titanic.  I would like to see the southern hemisphere sky at night.  The southern cross for instance.  a constellation that is visible only in the southern hemisphere.

3 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Is it closer to us at this time of year?  I know that Venus and Mars have always been "morning stars".  People think they are stars but they are in reality the planets Venus and Mars.  I believe Venus is more visible more often?  But we can see it with the naked eye on most clear mornings. I always wanted a good telescope but I learned its a waste of time where I live.  Near Rochester and Lake Ontario its a horrible place for an astronomer to live.  Visibility is rarely good for seeing stars.  Going out on a ship in the mid Atlantic would be ideal, unless you are on the Titanic.  I would like to see the southern hemisphere sky at night.  The southern cross for instance.  a constellation that is visible only in the southern hemisphere.

Mars and earth are on the same side of the sun right now so we're pretty close, about a mere 35,000,000 miles, that's close for another planet! 

I hear ya about lack of dark skies, I've lived in the SF Bay Area for my whole life, the difference in darkness in fifty years is shocking, it NEVER gets dark here anymore, three times as many people, lights, etc.  I got a "go to" telescope, you program in your longitude and latitude, then point it at three bright stars, now it "knows" where it is and can point itself at objects you can't see with the naked eye.  I also have a filter that blocks some of the light that street lights make, it doesn't make the stars brighter, it makes the sky darker.

Now a trip to the southern hemisphere for some star gazing would be awesome! I'd love to see the Southern Cross, I've heard the Tarantula nebula is as cool as the Orion nebula.  I've also heard about a dust cloud that blocks all the stars behind it, it's called the Coal Sack.  More bucket list stuff...

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Strange show on You Tube about the moon being hollow with possible alien censors inside?  I doubt it.  The probes sent out in the 70s they said would not reach the first solar system outside of ours for 80,000 years!!!!!!?  Unreal.  To put it into perspective, that is 40 times as long as when Jesus last walked the Earth.   I wonder if our planet will still exist then. Look at what has changed in 100  years.  From horses and no phones to driving around with cell phones with computers attached.  

Many many probes have been sent out.  Some now far superior to the ones I previously mentioned.  The Mars rover a huge success.  The Jupiter orbiter is too.  And many more on their way to distant worlds.  Speed is the question I guess and potential collision with asteroids

• 7 months later...
On 7/15/2019 at 4:46 AM, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Strange show on You Tube about the moon being hollow with possible alien censors inside?  I doubt it.  The probes sent out in the 70s they said would not reach the first solar system outside of ours for 80,000 years!!!!!!?  Unreal.  To put it into perspective, that is 40 times as long as when Jesus last walked the Earth.   I wonder if our planet will still exist then. Look at what has changed in 100  years.  From horses and no phones to driving around with cell phones with computers attached.  

Many many probes have been sent out.  Some now far superior to the ones I previously mentioned.  The Mars rover a huge success.  The Jupiter orbiter is too.  And many more on their way to distant worlds.  Speed is the question I guess and potential collision with asteroids

The speed issue we will probably overcome within a 100 years once we can produce a warp engine (theoretically they exist) or learn to fold space (artificial navigable singularities). We are woefully ignorant in regard to physics and with quantum mechanics and spooky entanglement, the light speed limit really has no bearing. Collisions with asteroids are a non-issue as space is incredibly empty. The asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter is a good example. You could fly through it for days and not see a single asteroid and the Ort Cloud is even less packed. One thing we do have to worry about are solar system boundaries. As Voyager II was leaving the solar system boundary recently, it encountered a "ring of fire" or extremely intense radiation. No human could ever survive the solar boundary without shielding tech we do not have.

Space is interesting as Hell. Heaven, not so much, just a bunch of Mormons up there.

The saucepan (Orions Belt) is now directly overhead early in the evening sky. About to be gone for the winter and is always missed. It reminds me that summer is over, winter lays around the corner. Nothing like seeing it in late spring for the first time. The promise of summer, and Christmas, and holidays!

On 3/7/2020 at 5:15 AM, PeaceFrogYum said:

The speed issue we will probably overcome within a 100 years once we can produce a warp engine (theoretically they exist) or learn to fold space (artificial navigable singularities). We are woefully ignorant in regard to physics and with quantum mechanics and spooky entanglement, the light speed limit really has no bearing. Collisions with asteroids are a non-issue as space is incredibly empty. The asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter is a good example. You could fly through it for days and not see a single asteroid and the Ort Cloud is even less packed. One thing we do have to worry about are solar system boundaries. As Voyager II was leaving the solar system boundary recently, it encountered a "ring of fire" or extremely intense radiation. No human could ever survive the solar boundary without shielding tech we do not have.

Space is interesting as Hell. Heaven, not so much, just a bunch of Mormons up there.

I happen to see that religion and science can co exist.  But lets get off that subject and talk about speed again.  You are right about the possibility of a warp drive, Einstein suggested it was possible to "fold the universe "  though in theory, is quite different from actually pulling it off.  I disagree with you on the asteroids.  The Hubble has found just a storm of them and many just miss Earth and some will indeed hit us.  The idea of perpetual momentum could gain tremendous speeds.  But obstacles would have to be avoided.  And could humans actually survive such a journey.   What they did in Planet of the Apes, might be what has to be done?  Suspend the body.  Aliens could have far greater life spans than us.  They likely would have advanced in medicine far beyond us if they have the capability to get here?  I am starting to actually believe they indeed have been here.  In 97 and 2004.  In 2004 there was the Nimitz Encounters and the military and Navy pilots have released the data.  They have those tic tac shaped objects that defied all of our laws of physics right in front of our pilots on tape.  On sonar also.  A show worth watching on You Tube.  And the Chicago and Phoenix lights that happened and also  is on tape.  There is no worldly explanation for these events.  I have taken  Astronomy and I was a strong skeptic understanding the time and distance in space.  But perhaps they have overcome this with advanced ways of travel and perhaps they can live much longer than us?  The Phoenix Lights occurred on March 13 1997.  Chicago was 3 months  before and the Nimitz was in 2004 to be correct on the dates. 

Well I just joined SETI @home.  You can actually help in the search for alien life.  By downloading software and data being constantly observed with listening type telescopes in a remote region and reporting anything unusual.   Anything well higher than 1200 MH.  But I have not yet downloaded the software.  I want to know how large the file is and i may have to connect a backup computer if I choose to do this crazy thing. 

7 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Well I just joined SETI @home.  You can actually help in the search for alien life.  By downloading software and data being constantly observed with listening type telescopes in a remote region and reporting anything unusual.   Anything well higher than 1200 MH.  But I have not yet downloaded the software.  I want to know how large the file is and i may have to connect a backup computer if I choose to do this crazy thing. 

DON'T DO IT MAN!!! Its actually a program utilized by the shadow government to track you. Its not as invasive as Facebook but they're working on it.

On 3/12/2020 at 4:53 AM, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Its getting shut down anyway.  So thanks

Just F'ing around, being silly.

Though Coronavirus...accident of nature? I think not!!!! Some Chinese bio-weapon breeches research facility and BAM!!!! No more toilet paper! WTF??? I need TP for my bung-hole!!!!

On 3/13/2020 at 10:04 PM, PeaceFrogYum said:

Just F'ing around, being silly.

Though Coronavirus...accident of nature? I think not!!!! Some Chinese bio-weapon breeches research facility and BAM!!!! No more toilet paper! WTF??? I need TP for my bung-hole!!!!

Luckily I have toilet paper.  Just no brown eggs.  LOL

• 4 weeks later...

With much lower air pollution levels, there have been a few night skies that have been brilliant these last 2 weeks. I hope that continues. Both crosses are now visible for me to the south as the Saucepan (Orions Belt) recedes over the western horizon early. The two crosses always look like a 'gateway' of sorts. You can slingshot through them to the outer reaches. A nice little daydream to imagine while seeing them in the Autumn/Winter sky.  I'm looking forward to a few nights with a fire going in the backyard weather permitting! I just hope my wood pile lasts....