Made In Japan

jmorton

I've been listening to Deep Purple's Made in Japan. You forget what a formidable live force they were. Child in Time is breathtaking. Blackmore and Lord are stunning. Gillan is screaming his arse off and Glover is as competent as ever....The guitar and organ duels are amazing

It's weird how Purple is kind of dismissed in the overall history of music. The curse of "Smoke on the Water" I suppose. The fact that they arent in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is a tragedy. Even Mk III with David Coverdale and Glenn Hughes was great to see live.

I'd be interested to know what Jimmy thinks of Ritchie Blackmore. I believe they've known each other since the early sixties session work they did.

Jeff

One of the best live albums ever, no question (which is one of the reasons why I included that classic quote from Ian in my sig). Ian Gillan...what an incredible rock voice he had in his heyday. From start to finish, it's a tour de force...simply brilliant.

I'd be surprised if anyone here hasn't got it...but if you haven't, get it pronto :D

One of the best live albums ever, no question (which is one of the reasons why I included that classic quote from Ian in my sig). Ian Gillan...what an incredible rock voice he had in his heyday. From start to finish, it's a tour de force...simply brilliant.

I'd be surprised if anyone here hasn't got it...but if you haven't, get it pronto :D

I'd wager that Purple was twice the band onstage that they were in the studio. Partly that is due to rather shoddy album production. Live though....wow. Space Truckin' is a barnstormer. Blackmore can be the most amazing guitar player when hes interested.

If anyone has heard Mk III live versions of Burn you'd be stunned. So good.

Once again, it's a tragedy that the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has shut them out.

Jeff

coverdale(or cover version as plant called him) just could'nt live up to gillan though.

*sigh* If Robert told you to jump off a bridge....nevermind. Not worth it...

Live in London is a great Mk III album. But Made in Japan is just so spot on....everything works.

Jeff

I think Blackmore definately blazed his own trail. He's a hard man to pin down and his rather....uhhhhhh....shall we say "antagonistic" personality makes him hard to deal with.

As for his new music...well....at least he's doing his own thing....I guess.

Jeff

who was on guitar?...was gillan on vocals?

The current line up of Deep Purple:

Vocals - Ian Gillan

Guitar - Steve Morse

Bass - Roger Glover

Keyboards - Don Airey

Drums - Ian Paice

I've been listening to Deep Purple's Made in Japan. You forget what a formidable live force they were. Child in Time is breathtaking. Blackmore and Lord are stunning. Gillan is screaming his arse off and Glover is as competent as ever....The guitar and organ duels are amazing

It's weird how Purple is kind of dismissed in the overall history of music. The curse of "Smoke on the Water" I suppose. The fact that they arent in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is a tragedy. Even Mk III with David Coverdale and Glenn Hughes was great to see live.

I'd be interested to know what Jimmy thinks of Ritchie Blackmore. I believe they've known each other since the early sixties session work they did.

Jeff

How-bout Vocal and Guitar duels on Strange Kind Of a Woman..... Brain busting..... It realy is the Best live show in Deep's history..... MK2 was, is and alwys will be the best..... They are in my top 3 bends of all times....

I just dont understand why they arnt encluded in Hall of fame.... That realy kills my heart... Maybe thats becasue of those replacements and changes that were made in Deep Purple.... I agree with MK3 but I just hate the fact That David(Though I love Coverdale Very Much, But in my opinion Gillie is Much better) replaced IAN GILLAN and Glen replaced Roger..... Love Deep Purple.... They Rock And ALways Will!!!!!!

Made In Japan was my first "rock" album and I still play it on a regular basis.....and I still laugh at Plant's "David Cover-version" comment.

As David said....."verbal wimbleton" Do a youtube search; Deep Purple, Mistreated, California Jam. David does rock on that one....

• 4 weeks later...

Yes MIJ is a fab live album, and some on here know how much i love all Deep Purple from MK I to Mk VIII, although MIJ is one of if not the best live album, I do prefer the IN Concert duoble live which has 2 concerts, one from 1970 and 1972, this is much more raw and not as polished as MIJ but again the songs are longer and it kicks your butt !!

Seen Purple many times, even the latest lineup with the awsome Steve Morse on guitar, they always have delivered live and never come away dissapointed.

Burn is such a great rock riff and the the keyboard and guitar solo's are top draw, You should check out some of the Steve Morse era ( and this from someone who thinks Blackmore is God and is Purple) albums, songs such as , Ted The Mechanic, hey Cisco and Rapture of the Deep sit alongside, Wring that neck ,Highway Star,Burn, You keep on Moving, Perfect Strangers etc.

Went off topic there but back to MIJ, Classic Rock mag did a best live LPs of all time and they forgot MIJ...WTF !!! ??? amazing to think that for years it was considered the best live rock album of all time at one point, but it went over their heads.

Archived