IS LED ZEPPELIN THE TRUE GODFATHER'S OF HEAVY METAL?

IMO the only led zep song that sounds anywhere close to metal is communication breakdown. what came first communication breakdown or paranoid?

thank you, finally!

uhhhh, communication breakdown.

Led Zeppelin is not heavy metal... but every heavy metal band owes their existance to LZ...

IMO... the first speed metal song was not Communication Breakdown... it was the Beatles' "Revolution"

and... IMO...

"Helter Skelter"

"In a Gadda Da Vida"

"I Can See For Miles"

"Iron Man"

"Whole Lotta Love"

these are the most important songs to the creation of heavy metal

IMO the only led zep song that sounds anywhere close to metal is communication breakdown. what came first communication breakdown or paranoid?

LZ made thse metal songs

Communication Breakdown

Immigrant Song

Black Dog

Rock and Roll

The Ocean

The Rover

Achilles Last Stand

Nobody's Fault But Mine

Wearing and Tearing

• 3 weeks later...
Led Zeppelin is not heavy metal... but every heavy metal band owes their existance to LZ...

IMO... the first speed metal song was not Communication Breakdown... it was the Beatles' "Revolution"

and... IMO...

"Helter Skelter"

"In a Gadda Da Vida"

"I Can See For Miles"

"Iron Man"

"Whole Lotta Love"

these are the most important songs to the creation of heavy metal

Dood... What about 21st Century Schizoid Man?

Gotta go (as usual) with Beatbo. :D

Black Sabbath were a heavy blues band called Earth. They decided "Let's scare people". MAYBE that was the birth of metal. Blue Cheer? Heavy sound, but metal? Likewise Steppenwolf. Perhaps the term was coined, but what is Heavy Metal? Personally I think Heavy Metal began the day Rob Halford stepped into an S&M shop, lol! Saxon's Denim and Leather. Some call bands like Def Leppard the "New Wave of British Metal" or whatnot. Leppard metal? Long since cut from that herd! :rolleyes:

Nah, Zeppelin were heavy, but not metal. Those were amped up blues numbers before Sabbath came along. Whole Lotta Love vs NIB? Advantage Sabbath.

That said, Zeppelin, IMO, gave the better of the metal bands inspiration as regards making a the heavy more powerful by balancing it with softer parts. But "Godfathers of Metal"? No.

That would be like saying Bach was the godfather of Yngwie. Things were borrowed. Inspiration was taken. But it ends there. Industrial Birmingham was the crucible of metal. And even though Plant and Bonham were Brummies, Plant was a blues/folkie and Bonham was a funkster. It took Page to inspire the "heavy". And he was no Brummie.

Ozzy, Geezer, Tony and Bill were though. The lot of them.

Up the Sabs! De-facto godfathers of heavy metal. ;)

I think Achilles is the closest Zep came to sounding like what we think of as quintessential Heavy Metal today, Iron Maiden style up-tempo Metal.

Zep could definitely do that genre, and they touched on it at times, but that was clearly not their focus the way it was for Sabbath.

Venom...

"Prime influences of the band are Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Motörhead and Kiss. Other bands cited by Venom as an inspiration are The Who, Deep Purple, Sex Pistols, Van Halen, The Tubes and Rolling Stones."

from wikipedia....there ya go, all of those bands helped create "Heavy Metal".

I have spoken to many people many times through the years about this topic and because of this, I would like to ask all of my fellow hard core ZEPPELIN fanatics this question. Is LED ZEPPELIN the TRUE Godfather's of Heavy Metal? In the 1970's and 80's, LED ZEPPELIN was hailed as the Godfather's of Heavy Metal. Today, believe it or not, many music critics as well as music fans do not feel that ZEPPELIN'S music is Heavy Metal. In my opinion, I truly feel that ZEPPELIN'S music is Heavy Metal in its earlier stages as compared to Heavy Metal in the 1980's and beyond. Believe it or not, there are critics that truly believe that the songs "You Really Got me" by THE KINKS, "Ticket To Ride" by THE BEATLES, "Passing The Time" (Long Version) by CREAM and of course, "Paranoid" by BLACK SABBATH are also Heavy Metal music in its earlier stages. What do you think?

no their the true GODS of rock and metal ROCK ON!thebull.gif

What is missing here is the term "IT SOUNDS LIKE HEAVY METAL FALLING FROM THE SKY".What is also missing is my memory as to who exactly used that phrase,but it was not used for Zep.I'm sure it was some early DJ who used the term to describe Sabbath's early stuff and it stuck from then on.

Did we all forget about Motorhead ? :D

• 3 weeks later...

There is a book and DVD called Led Zeppelin Origin of Species. It shed a lot of light on this subject for me. There was a lot of interaction between the members of Zep and Sabbath before Sabbath got noticed. Jimmy was already a star and already playing Dazed w/bow with the Yardbirds. It seems they were all trying to make scary or evil music for someone at this point. Obviously Zep got signed and on the road much sooner, and well before Paranoid came out, but compare the songs Communication Breakdown, and Paranoid. And w/ the big Guitar Break in Dazed. Still Sabbath stayed heavy and therefore influenced other bands who stayed heavy. But without Zep, I don't think you have Sabbath. Zep played heavier(Bonham), Jimmy played better(at that time). JPJ was a bass genius, and w/out Roberts vocals Ozzy would never have sang that way. Zep 1 gave everyone the blueprint. As far as Deep Purple, they were all skilled musicians and didn't know what to do. Ritchie Blackmore himself said that they had no Idea what to do until Zep 1 come out. Still I have to say, Blacksabbath are the Godfathers of heavy metal, and Led the Godfathers of all hard rock, and 80's hairbands.

There is a book and DVD called Led Zeppelin Origin of Species. It shed a lot of light on this subject for me. There was a lot of interaction between the members of Zep and Sabbath before Sabbath got noticed. Jimmy was already a star and already playing Dazed w/bow with the Yardbirds. It seems they were all trying to make scary or evil music for someone at this point. Obviously Zep got signed and on the road much sooner, and well before Paranoid came out, but compare the songs Communication Breakdown, and Paranoid. And w/ the big Guitar Break in Dazed. Still Sabbath stayed heavy and therefore influenced other bands who stayed heavy. But without Zep, I don't think you have Sabbath. Zep played heavier(Bonham), Jimmy played better(at that time). JPJ was a bass genius, and w/out Roberts vocals Ozzy would never have sang that way. Zep 1 gave everyone the blueprint. As far as Deep Purple, they were all skilled musicians and didn't know what to do. Ritchie Blackmore himself said that they had no Idea what to do until Zep 1 come out. Still I have to say, Blacksabbath are the Godfathers of heavy metal, and Led the Godfathers of all hard rock, and 80's hairbands.

Thats a great point "Johnnie Gestappo!" ROCK ON!

Ewwwwwwwww!!!

I know! I wasn't saying it was a good thing. I am an 80's boy, I graduated from H.S. in1987. My first jump into Hard rock was Motley Crue(Shout at the devil) and Wasp. I was obsessed! And then eventually disappointed. I never liked any of the other 80's bands. Poison,winger, Oh forget it there's too many to name. Thank God for my stoner step-cousin from Seattle who got me into Zep and Aerosmith.(Pre-comeback)

Archived