Two teens plead guilty to microwaving cat

Jarlaxle 56

Oh God, this again Hermit? :rolleyes:

:D

Yeah,.. "this".. again.., wanna be.

It wouldn't be a legitimate animal cruelty thread without "this".

..you know that, bud. B)

:hippy:

I'd rather have explosive diarrhea.

Research factory farming practices and you'll probably have explosive vomit.

Or.. I s'ppose you can choose to remain in the comfort of denial and self-delusion.

:rolleyes:

:beer:

I don't need to research anything, your War and Peace-sized posts provide me ample reading material and links with which to further my exploration.

And I'll enjoy eating my organic beef and not supporting people who put cats in microwaves, TYVM.

What does organic have to do with it? I mean I may make an exception if your a lobster?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organic_beef

In my family, we try to eat organic meats, as much as possible. Beef, chicken, even fish and shellfish. We eat organic dairy as well. It's more expensive, but it's worth it I feel.

You're not the boss of me, sweetypie. ;) I'm posting in this thread because afaic this is a thread about animal cruelty. And if you've been paying attention, you'd realize that my beef (pun intended) is not with people who eat meat; it's with the hypocrisy of people who eat factory farmed meat products (ie, people who support an industry steeped in animal cruelty, abuse, and torture) while they express outrage over a cat being killed in a microwave oven.

Digest that... mixed with mustard for all I care. B)

This thread is not about your personal choice of diet It's about two fuck ups that decided to microwave a cat. They and the act itself are the issue. Only you could turn this into a debate about something else. You can try all you want to connect the dot's but you will not be able to. Are you really saying that this is OK. You condemn the slaughter for food but you don't condemn the killing of this cat. Who's the hypocrite. Clearly, you are. Maybe cat and dog are eaten elsewhere in the world but I can't find anyone who thinks that it would be a good idea to do so here in North America. Christ man, if we were to listen to your advice we would fucking starve.

This thread is not about your personal choice of diet It's about two fuck ups that decided to microwave a cat. They and the act itself are the issue. Only you could turn this into a debate about something else. You can try all you want to connect the dot's but you will not be able to. Are you really saying that this is OK. You condemn the slaughter for food but you don't condemn the killing of this cat. Who's the hypocrite. Clearly, you are. Maybe cat and dog are eaten elsewhere in the world but I can't find anyone who thinks that it would be a good idea to do so here in North America. Christ man, if we were to listen to your advice we would fucking starve.

Some people feel the need to turn one situation into another to push their own agenda.

That "act" is the issue because.. it's an act of animal abuse, cruelty and torture. Duh.

Of course I condemn the torture of that cat, ally. Duh.

Those who condemn that "act" of animal torture but who also support an industry that

is steeped in animal torture.. the factory farming industry.. are the hypocrites. Duh.

Christ man, you will NOT fucking starve if you don't eat factory farmed meat products. Duh.

There,.. I hope that clears all that up for you, ally. ;)

1. It is the manner in which the animals are factory farmed (housed, treated, and slaughtered.. all phases of the process, not just the slaughtering method) that constitutes cruelty, abuse and torture, Del. The fact that you continue to refuse to acknowledge the grotesquely abusive practices that take in factory farming tells me that you are either totally ignorant (perhaps conveniently so) about factory farming practices, or you simply choose to live in denial of the truth.

No, I just don't care. A farm is a business just like a car wash. The more cars you wash, or the more cows you raise and slaughter... the more money you make. It's just that simple.

We've been slaughtering animals by all sorts of means for thousands and thousands of years. Predator vs. pray baby, that's all it is.

2. "Because it is done for human benefit" is a completely morally bereft justification for suspending a live cow upside down by one ankle.. while its still alive.. and skinning it.. while its still alive. And that's just one example of MANY examples of cruel and torturous practices that take place in factory farming.

I'm sure that some of them get past the "knocker" (the guy using a pneumatic hammer on the cattle's skull) without dying. But that is not a majority of them!I've been to a slaughterhouse on more than one occaion, and I can assure you that it would be a lot more difficult, and a lot less efficient, trying to gut a kicking cow than a dead one. I just don't buy your 'Upton Sinclaire style' description of what goes on in a slaughterhouse.

You think suspending a live cow upside down by one ankle.. while its still alive.. and skinning it.. while its still alive MAY BE UNPLEASANT for the animal involved, do you? Yeah,.. if by "may be unpleasant" you mean "absolutely is frightening, painful, and torturous".

You ever go fishing and when it comes time to clean the fish on the stringer -- you think they are all dead until you stick your filet knife into the anus of the fish to gut it, and the damn thing starts wiggeling all over the place.

Like I said, not intentional but it happens sometimes.

You think it's "our prerogative" to torture animals for the sake of human "benefit",.. ie for the sake of human "dining enjoyment"? Dude, you can't be serious. That's an argument equivalent to supporting the clubbing to death of baby seals just so women in New York or Paris can wear baby seal fur coats to the latest award show. When it comes right down to it, I doubt you really hold that position. If you do, it speaks volumes about your ethics, friend.

I have no problem with killing baby seals for fashion any more than killing cows for fashion. Most of us wear leather (even you I am sure). So if Eskimos can make some money hunting seals for profit, it's their business. I see no differnce in that than I do fishing or ranching... it's not personal, it's business.

I find it amusing that some people refuse to acknowledge that eating meat is not a human "need"; it's a human choice. Having said that, I'm not outright opposed to people eating meat. My point is threefold: 1. factory farming is a practice steeped in animal cruelty, abuse, and torture;...

Okay if you say so...

Next!

2. people who consume factory farmed meat products, are by nature of their choice to so so, supporting (condoning) animal cruelty, abuse, and torture;...

Okay...

Next!

3. people who consume factory farmed meat products who cry foul at a cat being tortured in a microwave oven are being hypocritical because they themselves support and condone animal cruelty, abuse, and torture by way of their support of factory farming.

I didn't like the way they killed the cat either, I've said so. But I'm not going to lose too much sleep over it either. I was way more upset about the way Terry Schiavo was killed...

but then that would be taking this thread way off topic.

:whistling:

Del, I don't doubt that you will would be willing to kill an animal to eat it, and in that regard it is true that you are not being hypocritical. But I tend to think that if you were raising animals on your own farm would not treat them the way they are treated on factory farms. You wouldn't because the way animals are treated in factory farms is absolutely abusive and torturous. If you don't know this about factory farming then you are ignorant of what goes on in factory farming and I'd think you might feel some moral responsibility to research the issue. If you are already aware of the practices that take place in factory farming and yet you buy factory farmed meats products anyway.. while at the same time saying you don't support animal cruelty and torture.. then you are being hypocritical, my friend.

I don't believe farming is cruel, in any of it's forms. I eat veal, shellfish and lots of things that might not have been too comfortable for the animal... and with a clear conscience. These animals exist fo us in my worldview. But I respect that in your worldview things might be different.

bbq.gif

That "act" is the issue because.. it's an act of animal abuse, cruelty and torture. Duh.

Of course I condemn the torture of that cat, ally. Duh.

Those who condemn that "act" of animal torture but who also support an industry that

is steeped in animal torture.. the factory farming industry.. are the hypocrites. Duh.

Christ man, you will NOT fucking starve if you don't eat factory farmed meat products. Duh.

There,.. I hope that clears all that up for you, ally. ;)

I'm tired of this debate Hermit. The more I talk about it the more I realize that we will never agree on this so I'm calling it a day. You do need to understand one thing though There will never be enough people that will make the choice to avoid meat and stop the slaughter on the basis of your argument. If you wish to campaign for a more humane way to slaughter animals for the food chain then you might actually find that I'd be agreeing with you. For the moment though, I'm going to make sure that none of the kids in my neighborhood throw any of my pets in a microwave.

He does have a point though, a lot of the stuff they do is a bit disgusting. Like castrating livestock...

(Though I understand it's so they don't go crazy and hurt other animals and whatnot, so you have a double edged knife in that example)

I fully agree. But I simply disagree with the notion that eating meat means that you support animal cruelty. If ignorance does not matter, then even a vegetarian who ate meat on accident without his knowing would also be supporting animal cruelty then.

I just didn't want to start this argument again. We've had it...what...2 or 3 times before Hermit?

I'm tired of this debate Hermit. The more I talk about it the more I realize that we will never agree on this so I'm calling it a day. You do need to understand one thing though There will never be enough people that will make the choice to avoid meat and stop the slaughter on the basis of your argument. If you wish to campaign for a more humane way to slaughter animals for the food chain then you might actually find that I'd be agreeing with you. For the moment though, I'm going to make sure that none of the kids in my neighborhood throw any of my pets in a microwave.

I'm not asking you to agree with me, ally. I'm merely stating the FACTS.

You deny the facts as it's apparently your choice to live in self-deluded denial.

That's your prerogative, my friend.

One more time: the FACT is that by choosing to eat factory farmed meat products, you are choosing to support an industry that is steeped in animal cruelty, abuse, and torture, and therefore your condemnation of the cat being tortured and killed in a microwave oven is hypocritical.

You can deny the facts all you want,..

..but your denial doesn't change the facts.

Bon appetit. B)

My kid won't eat at KFC, since she found out about the conditions for the chickens. I love KFC :( I've only been there once in the past 4 or 5 years, though. I guess there are a lot of things we could be thinking about, re: what actually goes into the convenience factor of the goods we buy. I think about it from time to time, but don't do much about it.

My kid won't eat at KFC, since she found out about the conditions for the chickens. I love KFC :( I've only been there once in the past 4 or 5 years, though. I guess there are a lot of things we could be thinking about, re: what actually goes into the convenience factor of the goods we buy. I think about it from time to time, but don't do much about it.

My roommate in college got me eating organic. She herself was a vegetarian, but she ate organic fruits and vegetables, dairy and other such products. One of the smartest decisions I've ever made.

My roommate in college got me eating organic. She herself was a vegetarian, but she ate organic fruits and vegetables, dairy and other such products. One of the smartest decisions I've ever made.

Do you feel better physically, since you've done that?

Yeah, I do. I know I'm eating foods not pumped full of hormones and doused with chemicals and pesticides.

I'm afraid to think about how much of that shit I'm eating :unsure: I got out of the overeating and fast food habit about 10 years ago, but I know the next thing will have to be actually reading the friggin labels :lol:

I'm not asking you to agree with me, ally. I'm merely stating the FACTS.

You deny the facts as it's apparently your choice to live in self-deluded denial.

That's your prerogative, my friend.

One more time: the FACT is that by choosing to eat factory farmed meat products, you are choosing to support an industry that is steeped in animal cruelty, abuse, and torture, and therefore your condemnation of the cat being tortured and killed in a microwave oven is hypocritical.

You can deny the facts all you want,..

..but your denial doesn't change the facts.

Bon appetit. B)

OK Hermit :rolleyes: If it's any consolation to you, my wife totally agrees with your position. I'm sleeping with the dog tonight :D

I'd skipped this thread until this evening. I had a hunch the news story would be nauseating (it was). I had a hunch Hermit_ would bring in his factory farming stuff (he did) but he left the pictures out this time, so some of y'all are lucky. I've already admitted to being hypocritical regarding the animal cruelty/torture thing, so I have no need to get into that debate again. There's some part of Hermit_'s argument that doesn't quite add up but I can't quite pin it down and until I do, I'll pass on further debate.

Here's the fun kicker to all this. We have barn cats. Some of them are young and are still learning to hunt. It isn't pretty and I don't care to watch, but I recognize that it's a part of the process. Predator and prey as Del mentioned a couple pages back (except that Del typed predator and pray, which tickled the hell outta me given the context in which he wrote it... I wonder if it was deliberate or an oops...).

Anyway, our 18 year old barn cat is going to be euthanized tomorrow afternoon. Taking her to the vet tomorrow for euthanasia will be a lot kinder than the alternative. The decision wasn't made easily or haphazardly, but only after a few vet visits to find out what was wrong and what the options were. I'm not looking forward to it... but I know we're doing the right thing, and for the right reasons.

So, assholes microwaving a cat for thrills... well, 'nauseating' doesn't quite cover it.. ya know? (And I don't give a damn if that makes me a hypocrite, or not).

Edited by Lake of Shadows

I'm sorry to hear about your kitty, Lakey. A few years ago we had a pug and he had gotten up in years and had a myriad of health issues and we decided that it would be more humane for him to die painlessly and with us there than continue living in constant pain. It's one of the few times I remember seeing my dad cry, but it was what was best. You never lose that feeling of thinking a member of the family died.

Thanks. Gray is/was such a spitfire... this little tiny cat with a voice like Edward G. Robinson and a glare that could stop you in your tracks. She'd sit patiently for hours staring at the rodent hole in a horse stall, knowing that sooner or later one would come through... and she was right... and she'd have a nice dinner. (OTOH, her bringing a young dead rabbit into the tack room, eating half of it, and then hiding the rest of it under the saddle racks in mid-summer was quite disgusting. In the summer, the tack room easily gets to 95-100 degrees, and after a couple days... oh lawsy, it was awful).

I'd skipped this thread until this evening. I had a hunch the news story would be nauseating (it was). I had a hunch Hermit_ would bring in his factory farming stuff (he did) but he left the pictures out this time, so some of y'all are lucky. I've already admitted to being hypocritical regarding the animal cruelty/torture thing, so I have no need to get into that debate again. There's some part of Hermit_'s argument that doesn't quite add up but I can't quite pin it down and until I do, I'll pass on further debate.

Here's the fun kicker to all this. We have barn cats. Some of them are young and are still learning to hunt. It isn't pretty and I don't care to watch, but I recognize that it's a part of the process. Predator and prey as Del mentioned a couple pages back (except that Del typed predator and pray, which tickled the hell outta me given the context in which he wrote it... I wonder if it was deliberate or an oops...).

Anyway, our 18 year old barn cat is going to be euthanized tomorrow afternoon. Taking her to the vet tomorrow for euthanasia will be a lot kinder than the alternative. The decision wasn't made easily or haphazardly, but only after a few vet visits to find out what was wrong and what the options were. I'm not looking forward to it... but I know we're doing the right thing, and for the right reasons.

So, assholes microwaving a cat for thrills... well, 'nauseating' doesn't quite cover it.. ya know? (And I don't give a damn if that makes me a hypocrite, or not).

*Hugs Lakey* There isn't a whole lot to say that makes losing a pet go down any better.

The boys who microwaved a cat should be taken out to the woodshed, and should exit wishing they had never seen a microwave in their lives, and I don't know where I heard this before but "Meat is murder...tender, juicy, glorious murder!" B)

Call me what you will, but my creator equipped me with teeth designed to rip into meat, and a 38 inch grill to help things get onto my plate in delicious form!

:P

Predator and prey as Del mentioned a couple pages back (except that Del typed predator and pray, which tickled the hell outta me given the context in which he wrote it... I wonder if it was deliberate or an oops...).

I have dyslexia...

hope I speelled it right.

And sorry about your cat.

The boys who microwaved a cat should be taken out to the woodshed, and should exit wishing they had never seen a microwave in their lives, and I don't know where I heard this before but "Meat is murder...tender, juicy, glorious murder!" B)

My son has a t-shirt that says, "Meat is murder! Tasty, tasty murder." He has another one that says, "I LOVE ANIMALS... THEY ARE DELICIOUS!"

Oh, the cool shit we buy at the gun shows. :D