Oil now $144 a barrel

Hermit_

I love Hermit. :rolleyes:B)

So everything on earth is going up, and up, and up.....no end in sight.

My secrect wish would be that all the right wingers (since THEY can handle the prices... <_< ) would be to have it reach, say 20 bucks a gallon.

:hysterical:

hell, they don't mind. :D

About the only good thing I can say about the high oil prices are that they're helping to get all of the god-damn SUVs off the road. Which is a good thing. Not only for the environmental aspect, but also because people who drive SUVs seem to take more liberties while driving-i.e. cutting someone off because "their vehicle is smaller than mine, and so they'll slow down."

There is definitely no other way than getting independent from oil. It´s finite like most other raw materials, and it will get just more and more expensive. The day will definitely come when oil is no longer, and its price will just keep on exploding. But there are alternatives: I mean, the sun will keep on burning for the next 5 billion years, isn´t that an option?

I've been in the heating industry for 30 years. We've known this for even longer than that. People can blame whatever leaders or terrorists they like, all this still would have and will continue to happen. Few are willing to change their lifestyles, so they can just keep on stubbornly blaming the incumbants, and foolishly clinging to the empty promises of our future leaders...

Well, I have to agree. I am very frustrated with gas prices right now. I'm a student, you see, so I can't afford to spend a lot of money on things.

I am spending more money now on one tank of gas than I did the entire month a year ago. And my gas is worse-quality. In our area, they have decided to start doing ALL 10% Ethanol, which means my car runs rougher and my gas mileage has dropped from 35 mpg in city to 25 mpg in city.

All the while, I'm robbing Peter to pay Paul to get gas in my car to go to work.

I drive less than 10,000 miles a year, (based on my car's mileage and the difference since I bought it), and I can't afford to put gas in my car.

Now everyone who CAN afford to spend over $100 a month in gas, go for shit. Drive your SUVs and drive like bats out of hell, consume, consume, consume. Who cares who else it affects? As long as you have what you want, it's no big deal.

Me on the other hand, I just want to be able to get to and from work so I can finish up my college degree in December.

About the only good thing I can say about the high oil prices are that they're helping to get all of the god-damn SUVs off the road. Which is a good thing. Not only for the environmental aspect, but also because people who drive SUVs seem to take more liberties while driving-i.e. cutting someone off because "their vehicle is smaller than mine, and so they'll slow down."

You sure about that Bonnie?

I see more people in small cars like Honda Civics, Toyota Tercels and those damn Saturn chunks of shit, cutting off larger vehicles, including large trucks, just because they think they can.

I've got no problem with people owning SUV's per se, although I personally hate the whole goofy style of them, I own a regular truck myself. However, I'm just too economically saavy to commute in my larger vehicle, and that's why I commute in a Honda Accord during the week.

But if people can afford to waste their money driving around by themselves in an SUV or other larger vehicle -- well, I guess that's just their business. I couldn't give two shits about the so called "enviromental impact" of an SUV over Toyota Prius, because it's all a bunch of hyped up political bullshit anyway, just to make some of the electorate 'feel good'; like they have done their good deed.

Besides, I don't want to see legislation forcing SUV's off the road. It's a personal choice, and in a free society we should be in favor of personal choice. I know many people who choose to drive larger vehicles because they are much safer in an accident. I have no problem with a family wanting to keep their children safer in a large vehicle. I've seen these new "smart cars"---and bullshit if they are smart! Damn things are death traps waiting to happen.

But in terms of the price of oil Bonnie; well, I will agree with you that it will be by market pressure that forces people to change their driving habits and transportation choices. And that is okay with me... free market all the way I say!

:thumbsup:

Well, I have to agree. I am very frustrated with gas prices right now. I'm a student, you see, so I can't afford to spend a lot of money on things.

I am spending more money now on one tank of gas than I did the entire month a year ago. And my gas is worse-quality. In our area, they have decided to start doing ALL 10% Ethanol, which means my car runs rougher and my gas mileage has dropped from 35 mpg in city to 25 mpg in city.

All the while, I'm robbing Peter to pay Paul to get gas in my car to go to work.

I drive less than 10,000 miles a year, (based on my car's mileage and the difference since I bought it), and I can't afford to put gas in my car.

Now everyone who CAN afford to spend over $100 a month in gas, go for shit. Drive your SUVs and drive like bats out of hell, consume, consume, consume. Who cares who else it affects? As long as you have what you want, it's no big deal.

Me on the other hand, I just want to be able to get to and from work so I can finish up my college degree in December.

Sappy liberal! :P

I love you Manders BUT... If you only travel less than 10,000 miles per year -- WHY AREN'T YOU WALKING OR RIDING A BIKE TO WORK/SCHOOL?

I'm sure another person would make the arguement that you just want to maintain a vehicle for your own personal convenience, regardless of how that affects everyone else on the planet. :whistling:

That's not my arguement, I don't care. If cars could only run on whale oil, I would still be using mine. But do you see my point? I happen to work at a company that practically shares a parking lot with a Metrorail Station. But based on the train schedule, I can't use the train because they stop running after 8:30 PM and I work till midnight. Even me, the guy who doesn't get all sentimental about the enviroment, would use the public transportion option; and mostly because it just makes more economical sense. I could actually have one less vehicle to maintain, insure and have to wash every damn week!

As George Carlin said:

" I'm tired of these self-righteous environmentalists, these white, bourgeois liberals who think the only thing wrong with this country is there aren't enough bicycle paths. People trying to make the world save for their Volvos. Besides, environmentalists don't give a shit about the planet. They don't care about the planet. Not in the abstract they don't. Not in the abstract they don't. You know what they're interested in? A clean place to live. Their own habitat. They're worried that some day in the future, they might be personally inconvenienced."

:P

:lol:

I love you Manders BUT... If you only travel less than 10,000 miles per year -- WHY AREN'T YOU WALKING OR RIDING A BIKE TO WORK/SCHOOL?

I'm sure another person would make the arguement that you just want to maintain a vehicle for your own personal convenience, regardless of how that affects everyone else on the planet. :whistling:

Del, if I had time to ride my bike or walk to work and school, I would. But since Boise isn't a town that has good areas for people to walk on main roads and in the dark, I won't. There have been waayy too many people hit and killed by cars in addition to raped and murdered when taking walks in the dark.

Also, I drive that many miles in a week because I do things like drive on roads that are business loops on the interstate, thus pedestrians aren't allowed.

The time factor is also a major deal. I sometimes have a half an hour in between school and work. I couldn't walk or bike the ten miles to school and work and change my clothing and be on time to work. I'm late all the time as it is. :D

Del, if I had time to ride my bike or walk to work and school, I would. But since Boise isn't a town that has good areas for people to walk on main roads and in the dark, I won't. There have been waayy too many people hit and killed by cars in additioned to raped and murdered when taking walks in the dark.

Also, I drive that many miles in a week because I do things like drive on roads that are business loops on the interstate, thus pedestrians aren't allowed.

The time factor is also a major deal. I sometimes have a half an hour in between school and work. I couldn't walk or bike the ten miles to school and work and change my clothing and be on time to work. I'm late all the time as it is. :D

Also don't forget that with the temperatures here in southern Cowstate, you'd be sweating and be close to heat stroke by the time you got to work. That really says, "Welcome to our store!" doesn't it? I thought about walking to Applebee's this summer since it's pretty close, but then my dad made the good point that sometimes it's better to not be admitted to the hospital with serious dehydration than to save a few bucks on gas. Either way, I should convince my coworkers that we need a skateboard carpool. We'd still sweat, but not as much. Maybe I should just take a cow to work...

Anyway, 100 degree summer days... don't you love this craphole?

I love heat--but only if I can run the A/C on my way to work.

Nothing's hotter than when a person who works in a grocery store shows up to work with pit stains and a big wet spot on their back. :lol:

Did I mention that there's no where for me to put my bike at work, other than outside (and we have about six bike thefts a week outside the store)? Not to mention that there is absolutely NO where for me to change into my uniform when I get there...and the lockers...what a joke. My purse doesn't fit in the lcokers. :lol:

I usually lock my purse in my trunk and carry my phone, car keys and wallet into work with me.

Del, if I had time to ride my bike or walk to work and school, I would. But since Boise isn't a town that has good areas for people to walk on main roads and in the dark, I won't. There have been waayy too many people hit and killed by cars in additioned to raped and murdered when taking walks in the dark.

Got you going didn't I? :D

FOR SHIT SAKES MANDERS! You make it sound like you live in Beruit or something! Hell, I grew up near East Los Angeles, have worked in Hollywood (before it was cleaned up) and also in SOUTH CENTRAL... you know, the home of the Blood and Crips... and I'm not as afraid of the dark as you are (no pun intended).

FOR SHIT SAKE YOU LIVE IN IDAHO! Land of potatoes and pick up trucks.

Oh please, my sides :hysterical:

But I was wrong, you don't need a bike...

you need an armored car! :hysterical:

oh... I mean a hybrid armored car.

:D

:banana:

Nothing's hotter than when a person who works in a grocery store shows up to work with pit stains and a big wet spot on their back. :lol:

Oh yeah. That's hot. I wonder how many times you could do that before someone talked to you about it. Oh wait, aren't you the boss? I would do that every day if I were you. Actually I would probably take my air conditioned car and douse myself with water when I got work to make it look like I had walked. I just like messing with people. It's my favorite pastime. If you need more ridiculous suggestions, you know where I am. :)

^haha

I'm just saying that in the past year I have seen about fifteen people get run over by idiots in their SUV's on their cellphones or hopped up on crack. I don't want to risk getting run over.

Also, it's common knowledge around here that if you're in the dark at night and you're a female, you're just begging to be raped and murdered by some psycho. Granted, I'm sure it's not as common here as it is in LA, but I still don't want to take that risk.

I've got no life insurance and I want to graduate college.

Butthead.

Oh yeah, and your answer for this weekend, Tahoe? NO! I can't afford the gas.

I love heat--but only if I can run the A/C on my way to work.

Did I mention that there's no where for me to put my bike at work, other than outside (and we have about six bike thefts a week outside the store)? Not to mention that there is absolutely NO where for me to change into my uniform when I get there...and the lockers...what a joke. My purse doesn't fit in the lcokers. :lol:

I usually lock my purse in my trunk and carry my phone, car keys and wallet into work with me.

Like I said, "personal convenience."

You're not a real enviromentally friendly liberal.

You're a an Al Gore groupie!

2008-04-16_211318.jpg

Gore_4.jpg

yeah...Al Gore groupie...that's the ticket

I've never seen "An Inconvienent Truth," Del.

Actually, I prefer Obama, thanks. :D

I'm just saying that I don't have anywhere that I'm allowed to put a freakin' bike and a backpack and etc.

Also, in order for me to keep a job, I can't be to work any later than I already am (there are NO scheduled shifts later than the ones I work). Not to mention that my school schedule is down to one class at this time of day; another at the opposite end...etc. I have no choice if I want to graduate.

Get off it, dude.

Still can't make it to Tahoe. STILL can't afford the gas. :lol:

^haha

I'm just saying that in the past year I have seen about fifteen people get run over by idiots in their SUV's on their cellphones or hopped up on crack. I don't want to risk getting run over.

Also, it's common knowledge around here that if you're in the dark at night and you're a female, you're just begging to be raped and murdered by some psycho. Granted, I'm sure it's not as common here as it is in LA, but I still don't want to take that risk.

Butthead.

So tell me again how 'your reasons' for driving one of those nasty carbon footprint mobiles [aka: cars]. Is any less valid a reason than anyone else's reasons for driving their carbon footprint mobiles... no matter what the make or model? Maybe some of those SUV owners just want a safer mode of transportation, right?

:whistling:

I've got no life insurance and I want to graduate college.

Why would you need life insurance? You're not married and you've got no kids!

Do I have to make all of your consumer decisions for you Manders?

Oh yeah, and your answer for this weekend, Tahoe? NO! I can't afford the gas.

No, you just don't want to show up all sweaty with no place to lock up your bike.

:P

I would need life insurance to pay for my burial, at the least Del.

Enbalming and burial, obituaries, headstones, etc. are all very expensive. Just ask me. I'm still paying for my dad's headstone. He didn't have life insurance.

and if I showed up in Tahoe on my bike, I could guarantee that showering would be the least of my problems. I probably wouldn't be able to sit down for weeks. LOL

yeah...Al Gore groupie...that's the ticket

I've never seen "An Inconvienent Truth," Del.

Actually, I prefer Obama, thanks. :D

I'm just saying that I don't have anywhere that I'm allowed to put a freakin' bike and a backpack and etc.

Also, in order for me to keep a job, I can't be to work any later than I already am (there are NO scheduled shifts later than the ones I work). Not to mention that my school schedule is down to one class at this time of day; another at the opposite end...etc. I have no choice if I want to graduate.

Get off it, dude.

Still can't make it to Tahoe. STILL can't afford the gas. :lol:

:hysterical:

I love you Manders, you always make me laugh. I love teasing you like a little sister...

but sort of like a little sister in Alabama.

You know, where it's okay to have those kinds of thoughts.

But all of this made me think of a good thread topic idea. I'd call it "THE EDUCATION OF MANDERS"

:wub:

^from the bike riding...

:rolleyes:

and the 500 miles I'd have to ride...

and that road up to Tahoe from Carson isn't exactly a flat one.

Yeah, I'm sure that would be the reasons you would be giving people at work for that certain soreness in your neck, back and especially your lower extremities.

cute%20girl%20rider.jpg

:whistling:

Archived