What was your first instrument?

I just felt in love with a little black mandoline I saw at the little music store in my lovely little hometown. Unfortunalety my mum doesn´t allow me to spend the money I´ve been putting on bank to pay for my driving lessons("That is very important and very expensive and you will always need a driver´s license" - as if I wouldn´t know that) on this adorable instrument. If I don´t get a job during summer holydays(what is very probably <_< ) I can wait my ass off untill christmas. Hallelujah!

A nice small Mason & Risch upright piano. It doesn't have the power and tone of a grand, but I still enjoy playing it.

My mom got it because she'd wanted to learn piano, but she stopped soon after. But my brother started and eventually me as well.

My first instrument was an old yamaha classical nylon string, strung upside down (not that it really mattered on that guitar) for left handed playing.

that was when I was 6. needless to say, while taking guitar lessons, playing soccer, basketball and doing karate, my parents decided I needed to drop a hobby and I wasn't particularly good at guitar so... yeah.

Of course, I picked up up again years later (I play righty now), and... yeah. Haha.

So I presume I could kick your ass with one hand tied behind my back and you could play circles around me on guitar right? LOL. Im only kidding.

Ironically, I ditched karate when I picked the guitar up again :D

Though I took a bit of a break my first two years of college, I'm getting back into it after the realization that I am quite mediocre for someone whose played nearly 8 years now LOL.

When I was 4, I started piano lessons. A few years later, my younger brother got a classical guitar, started lessons, and promptly stuffed it in his closet and forgot about it. I didn't. I'd wanted a guitar for years. I hated piano lessons! So I snatched it from him. I still have it. I couldn't say what make it is, but it's so beat up, it looks like Willie Nelson's guitar, lol!

My first electric I got when I was 10. It was a Saleen Explorer copy. When I was 12, I tore the guts out, sanded it off and striped it like Eddie Van Halen's Strat. I also replaced the stock pickups with a single DiMarzio Super Distortion and went to the single volume knob and left the neck pickup cavity empty and exposed. I did all the soldering myself! It blows my mind when I think back to how young I was and yet savvy about things like DiMarzio pickups, lol! I was devouring Guitar Player magazine at a very early age, and my young mind was a sponge.

Now it's more like a hunk of wet clay. :wacko:

A Violin when I was 7 years old. It was played by my grandfather and my graet-grandfather and so on. It is more than a hundred years old and has...personality. I learned to love it like afriend and it will always stay important to me. I try to play it nearly every day.

My first instrument that I purchased and played seriously was a Fender American Jazz Bass with a sunburst finish and rosewood fretboard. It is still in very good shape and I play it every day. I now own other basses, guitars, a keyboard, a ukulele, and many other instruments, but I still play my Fender Jazz Bass more than all the others combined. It was hands-down the greatest purchase I ever made.

My first guitar was my mom's that she'd had since high school. I have no idea what kind it was... it wouldn't stay in tune for more than 2 minutes, and it just generally sounded like crap. I was stoked to be learning, though. I was taking piano lessons, too, but this was a lot cooler, of course. B) It was right-handed, and I'm left-handed, so that was a little weird at first, but actually, I think it's worked out better...I don't do a lot of fancy picking, so it's kind of nice to be able to use my dominant hand for the more complicated chord change stuff. I've been playing right-handed ever since.

edit: Oops, I forgot to say that it was acoustic. And now I can't remember if it was steel string or nylon, but whichever it was, it had the wrong strings on it. I think it was a steel string, but when I took it out the first time it had nylon strings on it, lol.

My first guitar was a real cheap copy of a Gibson SG my godfather gave me when I was 15. My grandparents bought him that guitar when he had 15 too!

It came in a quite cool home-made wooden case, all padded inside. Covered with a really marvellous orange Duck Tape!

The guitar was so "basic", I could nearly hear my voice through the pickups.. That's without saying all those electric shocks... B)

But I played 10 hours a day for a whole summer on her! Diggin' the 'basic chords' and trying to make a decent rhythm over classic newbie repertoire. Songs like About a Girl, Wish You Were Here, Bob Marley's Redemption Song. Oh man! That G major chord! A minor is always a good friend and the very loveful D and C and his cousin C minor...

Oh! Those were the days.

When i was 5, with my moms pressure, i started taking piano lessons..... My First intrument was Zimerman grand piano.... That was my Grandmothers instrument. . . . She bought it in Moscow back in 40 ies.... I hated taking piano lessons(i thought that music was for girls), untill i saw "The Miracle" video(i already was Fredy Mercury fan, but i didnt know that he played the piano and i didnt even know how he looked like) and saw that kid playin on it and i thought that Freddie Mercury was that little boy and i got realy jealous.... So that became my inspiration to continue taking lessons..... 4 years later i found out that Freddie also played the Guitar . . . . . :D Then i (with my own money, that grandma gave me on my 9th birthday) bought a little classical acustic guitar that had perfect sound and started learning it. . . . sadly i dont have it anymore. My big dum dog knoked it down from my bed and broke it month ago. . . . . I cried like a baby whole night through. . . . . so thanx to Freddie and My grandma I play both piano and guitar. . . . .

My first instrument was a recorder.Then, in 6th grade, I got a piece of crap acoustic guitar and I took lessons from my uncle who was a music teacher. A year later from mowing lawns, I had enough money to get a Les Paul knock-off at the local guitar shop. Another year later, I got a real Gibson SG. It was used an only cost $150. I managed to put down $75 and get credit for the rest. I was only in 8th grade, but the guy also owned the music shop next door and knew the owner of the Schwinn bicycle store down the street where I worked under the table fixing bikes. My parents couldn't believe it.

At one point, I had 4 guitars. All kinda junkie, except for the SG. For the life of me, I can't remember what they hell I did with them back in high school. Wish I still had them.

My girlfriend was driving me insane. A friend advised getting a hobby, make my girl less than the 'central' focal point of my life. Sounded good to me, but what? I'd been to a Zeppelin concert two weeks earlier and the strong urge to play drums remained. I told my girlfriend I intended buying a set of drums and she said she'd leave me if I did. Promise? By the end of the week I had a kit, or most of one.

Friday was payday and on Thursday I had $40 left in the bank. Driving through the neighborhood I saw an orange drum set at a garage sale. Screeeech, Bat turn!! How much do you want for those drums? $40. Surely the hand of Fate was pointing out my destiny. Soon I was the proud owner of a bass drum with pedal, rack tom, snare on a stand, hi-hat with cymbals, and a broken cymbal and stand. All I needed was a better bass pedal, a few more cymbals and a floor tom. Intuitively I knew how to set everything up and, much to my surprise, I could play the universal entry level beat: dute dute DUH, dute dute DUH. God had not only given me a sign, but a mission!

Right away I got a proper bass pedal and cymbals, not long afterward I found a perfectly matched orange sparkle floor tom in a huge retail drum warehouse. The drums had no badges so I've no idea what brand they were. No matter, I lost them for a set of Ludwigs six months later. My girlfriend? There was no losing her. So I transferred to another part of the state with my job. C'ya.

My first instrument was technically a recorded. We had to learn it in primary school. This was long long before my rock days!!! :lol: But I must say, I can't remember how to play "Hot Cross Buns" on recorder, so it can't have influenced me musically!! :lol:

It was a HUGE Slingerland Drum kit! The bass drum was like 32 inches in diameter. My stepfather gave a gallon of whiskey for it! I played drums from age 10 until 18, but guitar became an overwhelming passion around age 12. The Ukelele at 10 also....my second instrument! I learned accordian, organ, piano at the same time.

I was obsessed with music from that time until now.... 39 years later!

a recorder (required in music class at school --- 2nd grade as we learned songs like, "Hot Cross Buns")

with 3 older brothers who all played guitar, I quickly picked up the guitar. I had a cheapo sears guitar until I became a teenager (13 or so, when my oldest brother bought me one of the very first Squier Stratocasters (it has a low serial number and is sunburst). Over the years, I've collected/add a few guitars as well as other instruments (yamaha drumset, keyboards, Fender Precision Bass, etc...

R B)

My first instrument was a crappy little £50 Classical guitar when I was 7 (I think I still have it somewhere), but as for the one that's now mine and has been in my family for longest, is a Classical (I really can't be bothered to go and get it to check what make it is right now...) guitar that belonged to my Granddad, which Ewan MacColl picked out for him to learn on.

• 2 weeks later...
My first instrument was technically a recorded. We had to learn it in primary school. This was long long before my rock days!!! :lol: But I must say, I can't remember how to play "Hot Cross Buns" on recorder, so it can't have influenced me musically!! :lol:

hahaha i remember having to learn that on the piano...i had to learn it using some fancy thumb technique, and it was driving me nuts!!! my 1st instrument was a yamaha keyboard...then a year later i got a $140 acoustic fender starcaster(crappiest model ever). now my dad's getting me a martin :) and i'm trying to convince my mom to get me an electric(i have my eye on a gibson at the local guitar center) i also hope to maybe get another keyboard so i can do the double-decker thing

I first started playing drums but after watching The Song Remains the Same, Jimmy had hooked me to playing guitar so now I just can't put down the guitar :) and I watch The Song Remains the Same basically everyday now to try and get something out of it to play guitar to.

• 2 weeks later...

My first instrument was/is my Washburn D10SSB acoustic. Almost 2 1/2 years ago. After shopping around for 3 months trying to decide someone over at LedZeppelin.net reccomended Washburn to me. I tried out the D10S models at George's Music I was just about sold. They were dead knockoffs of a D-28 IMO minus the Rosewood. I was flirting heavily with Ovations. Someone sent me a pic of a D10S model in Sunburst hence the SB. Beautiful. I knew immediately that was the one for me. The production was something like 211 on them and were clearing them out for $130. Sell for $250 normally. Gambled and won with the mail order.

Since then I broke and repaired the headstock myself. Had a recent setup with bone nut/saddle installed. It's not worth much to anyone but me but has a character about it now and that's my baby. I don't doubt that she'll hold her own in most situations. Always remember your first.;)

Archived