What was your first instrument?

• 3 weeks later...

I started piano at the age of 7 and I loved it . 5 years later I am still playing it. but at the age of 12 I started listening to hard rock and fell in love with led zeppelin. also my sister had gotten her own fender strat along with an acoustic that was both hers and mine when I was ten. so at the age of 12 I took the acoustic (my sister wouldn't allow me to play the electric) and I got a learn to play guitar book and printed out the intro to stairway to heaven and tried to learn guitar. I eventually became an expert at that intro and I would sneak into my sisters room and play her electric.I remember the first time I held it I thought "I feel like picasso would have felt holding his first paintbrush. now my sisters strat is pretty much mine and I am one of my guitar teachers best students. but I never stop playing my piano either.

wow that was really long. Sorry!

general music class,4th grade-teacher had 1 student play the kick bass,another play the snare,hi-hat.etc...at the end of class every1 was walking out and i jumped on that kit and played for 20 seconds (in time) before any1 realised it was 1 kid playin the whole set lol.i got a piece o shyt drumkit the next week and by the time i was 15 i was playin in bars and clubs w/ my band.

picked up guitar over-nite by the age of 14,playing live by 19.and the whole way thru LedZep was there to teach me ,,, along w/ other great bands.so here's a big thank you to Bonzo,John,Robert and Jimmy for letting me ride so close .......

My very first instrument was the trumpet aged 11 - got on really well until after about 18 months my teacher gave up teaching due to a rather nasty accident involving a lawnmower and his right hand fingers :( !!! New teacher was crap so I gave up the trumpet. Then aged 16 I bought a crappy spanish guitar and started teaching myself (using music theory I'd learn't before), got on really well with this and then bought a white Les Paul copy (made by Antoria) to which I fitted some Dimazios - this was great and I stayed with this until was 19 when I could afford (after saving all summer) to buy a second hand Gibson Les Paul, which I was told was a 64 Burst (latter found out that this was bollocks as they didn't make Burst from 61 - 68)!!! On relfection it was proabbly a mid 70's (certainly weighed a ton) and had a flatish top. I then packed up playing altogether in 84 and only sarted again a 18 months ago; I was amazed at how after a little time my fingers still new what to do!!!! I now have a chambered 2007 R8 (1958 re-issue Les Paul) - best guitar I've ever played :) , a Crafter acoustic and a sky blue Telecaster.

A blue sparkle drum kit out of the Sears & Roebuck catalog. Can't remember what my folks paid for them, but not much over a hundred bucks. I was 12 years old and can remember it like it was last week. We picked them up on a Friday night and my dad said I couldn't put them together and play them until the next day, because he had to work, and didn't want hear all the racket. So I didn't sleep a wink that night and was up at 6am assembling the kit. Man, when i sat behind them and started playing, it was like this is what i'm meant to do. There are things in life you receive and completely forget about, but this is something that will be stored in my brain until they throw dirt over me. Except for the birth of my children, it ranks up there with my fondest memories.

It was supposed to be a flute in fifth grade but there were none left so it was the clarinet. I hated it and wanted a guitar in eighth grade but my father said, and I quote, "the guitar isn't for girls". :angry: This was 1989!!!

I guess it was okay to be a dweeby clarinet player but not to play a smokin' guitar. He obviously didn't "get" his daughter. Or, maybe he did and that was the problem! :D

Luckily, I am an adult now and can finally financially consider some lessons and eventually get a decent guitar. Unfortunately, I have fewer years to learn/play. :-/

• 2 weeks later...

My first Intrument was a guitar, a Mexican stratocaster that came out around 2004. although i played guitar before that time i never had one to call my own. One day we walked into the local guitar shop, (we = me and my girlfriend) And i saw this this Beautiful white stratocaster with white body and maple neck. She knew i had loved jimi hendrix and knew i loved playing the guitar so she bought it for me right off the wall. This strat appealed to me because it looked like the one ehndrix played at woodstock and thats all that matterd to me at the time lol. From leaky basment to flooded apartment it hasnt left my side. Still now i realise the instrument was a well made guitar and still to this day love to play it.

I call her #1.

• 1 year later...

Back in 1966 I was able to buy a brand new set of Ludwig blue sparkle drums with all Zildjian cymbals for $600.

But being a dumbass I let my payments lax and they were reposessed. :(

They are probably a classic set now and worth a mint. B)

My only instrument now is a classical guitar.

Piano at 9 years of age. Not by choice but I am gratefull I did it because it helps you learn music helps with other instruments. I wish I had one still. Only play guitar now. If I had a young child starting out, I would start him on piano first. It will give him a good foundation.

Aghhh! My very first instrument before the drums was the clarinet in grade school.

How many of us have taken the clarinet? :lol:

And they go for about $500. Not cheap. Any instrument is good to learn. I am not one that could ever play a wind instrument. I went into the house of guitars two weeks ago. Same old game. Millionaires that run the crazy place. You still cant beat their prices but it all depends on who waits on you and what particular day you do as to what kind of deal you get. You can walk out of there with a brand new Les Paul Standard for $1800. Guitar Center, no way. Around three grand Im sure. Maybe $2500 if you are lucky. Now the guy at the house says I can get a Taylor acoustic for about $500. But not acoustic/electric. What I want to know, does it make any difference buying a straight up acoustic that does not have electric capability or not? ie, will the sound be any better playing unplugged on a non electric acoustic as opposed to lets say an Ovation that has the option of plugging in and playing it electric through an amp? I am going to buy an acoustic I believe. As much as i want another Les paul, its just too much, and then I have to get a good amp, Marshall. I am leaning towards Taylor, as I have had an Ovation, which I didi like. It was a celebrity with the crazy cut outs. Wont rule out Martiin I guess but they seem a bit smalll and I have never played one i was really nuts about I am looking for some opinions. Perhaps you Redrum? Or Evster if you ever happen to return?

And they go for about $500. Not cheap. Any instrument is good to learn. I am not one that could ever play a wind instrument. I went into the house of guitars two weeks ago. Same old game. Millionaires that run the crazy place. You still cant beat their prices but it all depends on who waits on you and what particular day you do as to what kind of deal you get. You can walk out of there with a brand new Les Paul Standard for $1800. Guitar Center, no way. Around three grand Im sure. Maybe $2500 if you are lucky. Now the guy at the house says I can get a Taylor acoustic for about $500. But not acoustic/electric. What I want to know, does it make any difference buying a straight up acoustic that does not have electric capability or not? ie, will the sound be any better playing unplugged on a non electric acoustic as opposed to lets say an Ovation that has the option of plugging in and playing it electric through an amp? I am going to buy an acoustic I believe. As much as i want another Les paul, its just too much, and then I have to get a good amp, Marshall. I am leaning towards Taylor, as I have had an Ovation, which I didi like. It was a celebrity with the crazy cut outs. Wont rule out Martiin I guess but they seem a bit smalll and I have never played one i was really nuts about I am looking for some opinions. Perhaps you Redrum? Or Evster if you ever happen to return?

Actually, my experience with handling guitars is pretty minimal as I only started playing about 6 years ago. I started on a 1962 Gretsch 'Tennessean' that my nephew let me borrow. It was a beauty and was so easy to play action-wise. I had first wanted to play the Dobro and my nephew then sold me a Gibson 'Hound Dog' resonator. But as I went along I became more and more interested in classical guitar and a miracle happened when a friend in California gave me a gorgeous hand made classical and that's been my guitar for about the past 5 years or so. The classical is tough to learn but I stick with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, my experience with handling guitars is pretty minimal as I only started playing about 6 years ago. I started on a 1962 Gretsch 'Tennessean' that my nephew let me borrow. It was a beauty and was so easy to play action-wise. I had first wanted to play the Dobro and my nephew then sold me a Gibson 'Hound Dog' resonator. But as I went along I became more and more interested in classical guitar and a miracle happened when a friend in California gave me a gorgeous hand made classical and that's been my guitar for about the past 5 years or so. The classical is tough to learn but I stick with it.

plastic strings and wide apart on the neck? Nice to have an assortment of instruments if one can afford it. But when you have other obligations, and now I have a touch of carpo that has faded thankfully, its tough for me to decide at this stage of my life whether to get back into it full force or just play casually here and their for fun. I want anther Les Paul so bad. The same on Jimmy played at the O2, color Gold. But I also want a nice acoustic. But I dont know whether to buy a straight up acoustic or an acoustic/electric. Will the quality be any better in the acoustic without the electric capability? I wish Evster was here to answer this. I need someone to answer this that has played a while. I have played on and off for over 30 years. But when you go extended periods of time without picking it up, you have to go back and really work hard to get back to where you were. So what to do? Gibson Les Paul? Taylor? If I go electric, must have a Marshall. If I go acoustic/electric looking for opinions on amps that are good acoustic amps. Dont need to knock a wall down. I still have my cousins 89 acoustic Alvarez. Its not bad. But its not me.

I played the piano for many years, also took up the guitar in my teenage years, but had a terribly difficult instrument to play, probably due to the fact that my parents picked it up for me at a pawn shop!

plastic strings and wide apart on the neck? Nice to have an assortment of instruments if one can afford it. But when you have other obligations, and now I have a touch of carpo that has faded thankfully, its tough for me to decide at this stage of my life whether to get back into it full force or just play casually here and their for fun. I want anther Les Paul so bad. The same on Jimmy played at the O2, color Gold. But I also want a nice acoustic. But I dont know whether to buy a straight up acoustic or an acoustic/electric. Will the quality be any better in the acoustic without the electric capability? I wish Evster was here to answer this. I need someone to answer this that has played a while. I have played on and off for over 30 years. But when you go extended periods of time without picking it up, you have to go back and really work hard to get back to where you were. So what to do? Gibson Les Paul? Taylor? If I go electric, must have a Marshall. If I go acoustic/electric looking for opinions on amps that are good acoustic amps. Dont need to knock a wall down. I still have my cousins 89 acoustic Alvarez. Its not bad. But its not me.

I wish I could help as there are so many guitars to choose from.

Yeah, the classical has a very wide neck (2" at the nut) and I really think it's too wide for my left hand. I would actually like to get a guitar with a shorter (600mm) scale length. I've tried different capos but they just get in the way.

It was supposed to be a flute in fifth grade but there were none left so it was the clarinet. I hated it and wanted a guitar in eighth grade but my father said, and I quote, "the guitar isn't for girls". :angry: This was 1989!!!

I guess it was okay to be a dweeby clarinet player but not to play a smokin' guitar. He obviously didn't "get" his daughter. Or, maybe he did and that was the problem! :D

Luckily, I am an adult now and can finally financially consider some lessons and eventually get a decent guitar. Unfortunately, I have fewer years to learn/play. :-/

Mine was a clarinet too; the acoustic guitar and piano remain on my to do list :)

Pots of different sizes and two big wooden spoons at about 8, then a few years later the trumpet (didn't like it), snare drum (didn't like the teacher, although I should have stayed with it) at about 12.

Then at 15 I got a set of 1977 Courtly drum's (jet Black) and every thing fell into place, at 16, my first Les Paul "copy" guitar (a Black Beauty).

Pots of different sizes and two big wooden spoons at about 8, then a few years later the trumpet (didn't like it), snare drum (didn't like the teacher, although I should have stayed with it) at about 12.

Then at 15 I got a set of 1977 Courtly drum's (jet Black) and every thing fell into place, at 16, my first Les Paul "copy" guitar (a Black Beauty).

Later in life I also played a lot on coffee cans with the plastic lids until the lids finally disintegrated. :lol:

I was just too poor at that time to even think about owning a set of drums. :(

Archived