IS ROBERT PLANT THE MALE JANIS JOPLIN?

No. Don't get me wrong, I think Robert Plant is great. But, Janis Joplin was a different style and her voice was rougher and scratchier. Best for her style. That's just my opinion though.

• 1 year later...
Yep and very proud of it. Janis Joplin helped me through more than I thought music ever could. She's my hero. She was a sweet, kind, wonderful person. I can't say enough about her.

Hi "lzfan715?" Long time no hear! I hope all is well with you. I just saw a photo of you, you are so beautiful "lzfan715!" You should be breaking a lot of hearts my dear. ROCK ON!

To be perfectly honest in my opinion, I DO NOT even consider anything about Janis Joplin (or her singing) when I listen to or even think about Robert Plant's singing in any days of Led Zeppelin's professional career. Even in Led Zeppelin's early days of touring. It may be the fact that both could and did sing the blues that these comparisons are inevitable. But, Janis Joplin tragically died of a heroin overdose in October of 1970. This was roughly about the time of the release of LZ III. I for one do not see or compare Robert Plant to be the "male Janis Joplin".

According to my mom, Steve Marriott is..

I was playing a Humble Pie album and she says, "Is this Janis Joplin?"...she was serious..

How's it going "theycallmethehunter" as well as our fellow die hard hard core ZEPPELIN fanatics? I hope all is well with all of you this beautiful Thursday morning. I'm here at work dosing off after being out all night. As my Dad once said: "If you can be out all night when you have to work the next day, then you can sure as hell go in to work the same day!"

In reference to this post, Steve Marriott, Robert Plant and Janis Joplin all sound alike! ROCK ON!

Edited by ZeppFanForever

How's it going "theycallmethehunter" as well as our fellow die hard hard core ZEPPELIN fanatics? I hope all is well with all of you this beautiful Thursday morning. I'm here at work dosing off after being out all night. As my Dad once said: "If you can be out all night when you have to work the next day, then you can sure as hell go in to work the same day!"

In reference to this post, Steve Marriott, Robert Plant and Janis Joplin all sound alike! ROCK ON!

Its going good, and you? :) Thats true, haha i was thinking the same, but i dont think either are the male/female equivalent. They all just sound similar :)

Its going good, and you? :) Thats true, haha i was thinking the same, but i dont think either are the male/female equivalent. They all just sound similar :)

How's it going "theycallmethehunter?" I'm doing great, thanks for asking. I really don't think that they all try to sound alike, it just comes out naturally. They're all very emotional and powerful performers when it comes to the Blues. Thanks for your comment and ROCK ON!

Janis Joplin reminds me of Robert Plant. Actually both of them always reminded me of each other. I don't know why... Probably similar singing style.

How's it going "Black_Dog_90?" I hope all is well with you. Exactly, their singing styles are so similar especially their high vocal ranges. ROCK ON!

I certainly think they have a similar style in some early Zep songs

How's it going "Lee?" I hope all is well with you. Both of their styles are very similar especially in their earlier years. As John Lennon once said to childhood friend Pete Shotton, "Give my love to England!" ROCK ON!

Can't believe no one has mentioned this yet considering the topic, so I will...

Setember 4, 1970: Led Zeppelin is playing the LA Forum(technically it is in Inglewood, but everyone got used to saying the LA Forum), and Fairport Convention are doing a 4-night stand at the Troubadour, a small club on Santa Monica Blvd. and Doheny in West Hollywood.

After Zeppelin finishes their concert, soon to be immortalized in the "Live on Blueberry Hill" bootleg, they head to the Troubadour(I imagine the limo driver heading up La Brea Ave., which leads from Inglewood to Hollywood, perhaps stopping for some chili dogs at Pink's along the way, then turning left on Santa Monica Blvd.) to watch the rest of the Fairport gig. After some between set discussion, Zeppelin join Fairport for a jam of rock oldies and trad folk...supposedly going on for as long as 3 hours!

Since Fairport was recording the Troubadour shows for a live album("House Full"), the tapes were rolling for the jam, but NOTHING from this has seen the light of day, to my knowledge at least.

Anyway, after the show, the everybody heads over to Barney's Beanery and Bonham gets into a drinking contest with Janis Joplin. No clue as to who won, haha.

Now THAT would be amazing if the audio surfaced from that night :o :o :o

You ain't lying, ninelives! I used to say that the 1970 Bath Festival was my personal Holy Grail of Zeppelin, but lately I have come to desire to hear the Fairport/Zeppelin Troubadour jam more than anything...I would chop off my arm to hear it! :o:o:o

The night of Blueberry Hill. Dave Pegg took part in the drinking contest as well. He and Bonzo were mates, as both were part of the scene in the midlands in the 1960's.

peggbonhamomscanfd2.jpg

Actually, Bonzo may have lost that contest. He was found the next morning lying naked, sleeping next to the hotel swimming pool. :(:lol:

The question about the jam with Fairport is what happened to it when Peter Grant died, because he had the tapes. Jimmy is likely to have them now, but may not be too pleased with them, as he was playing a borrowed guitar from Fairport, and it gave him some trouble.

The night of Blueberry Hill. Dave Pegg took part in the drinking contest as well. He and Bonzo were mates, as both were part of the scene in the midlands in the 1960's.

In this video Robert talked about him and Dave Pegg being in the same band (Band of Joy) and Dave played lead guitar. And Dave:"He fired me!" :lol:

Dave Swarbrick, on the other hand, constantly denies this ever happened at all, let alone that there are any tapes (needless to say, Fairport fans desperately want to get their hands on them too, and equally needless to say, nobody believes Swarbrick :D).

Edited by Aquamarine

Can't believe no one has mentioned this yet considering the topic, so I will...

Setember 4, 1970: Led Zeppelin is playing the LA Forum(technically it is in Inglewood, but everyone got used to saying the LA Forum), and Fairport Convention are doing a 4-night stand at the Troubadour, a small club on Santa Monica Blvd. and Doheny in West Hollywood.

After Zeppelin finishes their concert, soon to be immortalized in the "Live on Blueberry Hill" bootleg, they head to the Troubadour(I imagine the limo driver heading up La Brea Ave., which leads from Inglewood to Hollywood, perhaps stopping for some chili dogs at Pink's along the way, then turning left on Santa Monica Blvd.) to watch the rest of the Fairport gig. After some between set discussion, Zeppelin join Fairport for a jam of rock oldies and trad folk...supposedly going on for as long as 3 hours!

Since Fairport was recording the Troubadour shows for a live album("House Full"), the tapes were rolling for the jam, but NOTHING from this has seen the light of day, to my knowledge at least.

Anyway, after the show, the everybody heads over to Barney's Beanery and Bonham gets into a drinking contest with Janis Joplin. No clue as to who won, haha.

How's it going "Strider?" I hope all is well with you. I fugured that someone already discussed the Bonham/Joplin drinking contest. I heard about that story some years back and I even heard that Janis won easily over Bonzo. Then again, NO ONE out drinks Janis Joplin! I even heard that Janis out drank John McVie and Jim Morrison and these two were drinking bafoons themselves. Janis Joplin is one woman that you do not want to butt heads with in a drinking contest. Janis drank hard liquior on a daily basis like it was water. ROCK ON!

peggbonhamomscanfd2.jpg

Actually, Bonzo may have lost that contest. He was found the next morning lying naked, sleeping next to the hotel swimming pool. :(:lol:

The question about the jam with Fairport is what happened to it when Peter Grant died, because he had the tapes. Jimmy is likely to have them now, but may not be too pleased with them, as he was playing a borrowed guitar from Fairport, and it gave him some trouble.

Oops :o:lol: Great photo btw. Shame that Jimmy (assuming he has them which would make sense) won't release them - part of the greatness of those situations is the spontaneity of it all.

peggbonhamomscanfd2.jpg

How's it going "Otto Masson?" I hope all is well with you. I BELIEVE IT! I heard that both Bonzo and Dave were the latest victims of Janis' liquior beating! :hysterical: I bet that the both of them learned a valuable lesson that night not to f*c* with Janis in a drinking contest. Many famous Rockers got their asses kicked in by Janis, Jim Morrison and John McVie among them. Please don't get me wrong, Bonzo, Jim Morrison and John McVie were no pushovers, they were all seasoned pro drinkers. Their biggest mistake was trying to out drink Janis which was NOT going to happen. Janis was known the world over for winning many drinking contests. Thanks for the comment and ROCK ON my friend!

• 11 years later...