SHOULD THERE BE DRUG TESTING IN ROCK N' ROLL?

ZeppFanForever

Now I could be wrong about this, I freely admit it, and I'm no Pink Floyd expert, however I thought from reading Nick Mason's autobiography that Pink Floyd didn't do drugs, Syd Barrett certainly did, but the rest of them were clean and sober

Please dont believe everything You read.Ted Nugent has also never done drugs.They may not have done them I dont really know but with the Music they have written over the years I for one would have to doubt it.

Now I could be wrong about this, I freely admit it, and I'm no Pink Floyd expert, however I thought from reading Nick Mason's autobiography that Pink Floyd didn't do drugs, Syd Barrett certainly did, but the rest of them were clean and sober

David Gilmour had a cocaine problem, I believe. I don't know if that was before or after the band went kaput, though. I know they all drank quite a bit and were completely stoned when they did the Live in Pompeii interviews (seriously watch them, they're baked), but whether they did "hard" drugs, I don't know.

Without drugs there would *be* no rock and roll. You think songs like "I Am The Walrus" just write themselves?

Quite right, and without American involvement in WW2 I might be singing "Deutsch Marching Songs" instead.

So given the choice between, 1). Rock and Roll. and 2). Deutsch Marching Songs. I think it goes to

1). Rock and Roll. But only just, imagine walking through Paris, marching six abreast singing, "Immigrant Song". LOL

One of the most famous drug songs of all time of course was "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds". But I wonder if all of the Beatles were using? McCartney always seems to me as the type that would stay away while I have no doubt that Lennon was using.

this is lennons rewrite of 'alice in wonderland'- an influence from his childhood ('walrus' was based on the carroll poem 'the walrus and the carpenter'). could it have been written without the use of lsd? i doubt it, but the drug wasn't the inspiration, it was the conduit.

mccartney was busted in japan for 2 or 3 pounds of weed in 1980. he did 10 days in jail. he is now a knight. see, kiddies?

Please dont believe everything You read.Ted Nugent has also never done drugs.They may not have done them I dont really know but with the Music they have written over the years I for one would have to doubt it.

I really don't see why the music Pink Floyd has written seems to suggest they were drug users. Certainly nothing in what Roger Waters has ever written suggests drugs to me.

Okay You win no rock stars do Drugs and they also wear wigs that is not thier real hair My Grandmother told Me that in the late 60's .They also always wear 3 piece suits when not on stage to.

Why are you being so sarcastic?

The only bonafied anti-drug band that was worthwhile was Grand Funk Railroad, who for those who don't know were among the top live acts to catch in the 70's.

For the sake of rock music in general though, I hope they don't.

They look high to me on the "live at Pompeii" and "Dark Side of the Moon" dvd's, but you never know..maybe the idea to let that dog sing was conceived in a sober moment lol.

They look high to me on the "live at Pompeii" and "Dark Side of the Moon" dvd's, but you never know..maybe the idea to let that dog sing was conceived in a sober moment lol.

Well they don't look high at all to me.

I think there's a bit of narrow-mindedness going around that you can only write Pink Floyd songs if you're high, which is utter bullshit

Well they don't look high at all to me.

I think there's a bit of narrow-mindedness going around that you can only write Pink Floyd songs if you're high, which is utter bullshit

I think you are one of those who just like to argue and while I am not above argueing I like to do mine face to face I get far more pleasure out of it.You are however correct if being narrow minded means not agreeing with You.I dont agree with You at all so I gave My opion You dont agree so be it You dont feed Me are anything else so I feel I dont need to give a care what you say or think good bye. :angry: Oh yes there is the responce I know You were looking for now You have it. :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

I think you are one of those who just like to argue and while I am not above argueing I like to do mine face to face I get far more pleasure out of it.You are however correct if being narrow minded means not agreeing with You.I dont agree with You at all so I gave My opion You dont agree so be it You dont feed Me are anything else so I feel I dont need to give a care what you say or think good bye. :angry: Oh yes there is the responce I know You were looking for now You have it. :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

I think you need to settle down...

In fact you're the one who was looking for a fight, so don't pull that bullshit on me

The only comment I made was that I didn't understand why people presume Pink Floyd had to be on drugs to write their songs

And straight away you got all bitchy and sarcastic and I asked you why you got all sarcastic, and as far as I can see, you got bitchy because I didn't agree with you

So you were looking for a fight, and both your reactions prove it...

I don't presume Pink Floyd had to be on drugs to write their songs. I was merely saying that if you watch the interviews done for the Live in Pompeii concert/movie they did, they look stoned. Doesn't mean they are, just that IMO, they look it.

I don't presume Pink Floyd had to be on drugs to write their songs.

Yes well some people around here do believe it and if you ask them about it, Christ help you!

I just made the point that, well I know Roger Waters has staunchly claimed he wasn't into drugs (apart from a few experiments with LSD in the very early days) and Nick Mason made the point that Syd was definately into the acid and the whole 60's psychedelic scene, but he himself wasn't into it.

I think you need to settle down...

In fact you're the one who was looking for a fight, so don't pull that bullshit on me

The only comment I made was that I didn't understand why people presume Pink Floyd had to be on drugs to write their songs

And straight away you got all bitchy and sarcastic and I asked you why you got all sarcastic, and as far as I can see, you got bitchy because I didn't agree with you

So you were looking for a fight, and both your reactions prove it...

It is no big deal I just dont like You and Your constant use of the word bull is part of the problem.So I say Pink Floyd used lots of Drugs and I still say it and You will not change My mind so get over Yourself .I dont know if Nick Mason did or did not party but to be around music in those days with everyone using and You dont but you make music that relates to those who do uhhh well maybe thats a little thin . But it is nice to know there is a protector of a drug free Floyd around even though only you care.I have read quite a few of Your post on here and You are one of those who trys to start trouble so as the mods have asked I will leave you and those like You to your own end

The only bonafied anti-drug band that was worthwhile was Grand Funk Railroad, who for those who don't know were among the top live acts to catch in the 70's.

Docron, there were other anti drugs bands that were worth watching. Here is one of them.

During his musical career, Zappa was typecast as an eccentric crank who wrote funny, controversial songs with dirty lyrics. His songs conjured up a fundamentalist's nightmare of sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll, but Zappa was anything but depraved.

Zappa did not take drugs or drink alcohol and had campaigned against drug-taking since the 1960s. He also didn't permit his band members to take drugs on the road.

Personally I would rather see the movie industry do drug-testing to get rid of dead-weight bullshit actors/stars like the Linday Lohan, Paris Hilton and Brittany Spears - mainly, so I don't have to read/hear about these skanks every day in the news.

Honestly, what the fuck do those 3 even do anymore and why do we have to pay tax money to keep them in jail/rehab when all they do when they get out is crash 13 more Mercedes' and do lines off the floor of a motel room. :angry:

Docron, there were other anti drugs bands that were worth watching. Here is one of them.

During his musical career, Zappa was typecast as an eccentric crank who wrote funny, controversial songs with dirty lyrics. His songs conjured up a fundamentalist's nightmare of sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll, but Zappa was anything but depraved.

Zappa did not take drugs or drink alcohol and had campaigned against drug-taking since the 1960s. He also didn't permit his band members to take drugs on the road.

lol, good ole Frank.

The funny thing is no matter how many drugs he didn't do, I still have to be on drugs to listen to his stuff! Must not be within my musical tastes (which is funny, because I can listen to Ween and other "fucked up lyrics" bands like that without doing so).

I know in alot Grand Funk concerts I know of, Farner always got on the mic sometime during the set and gave a "don't give in to the peer pressure" type P.S.A.

Did Zappa ever go beyond just himself and the band in his anti-drug sentiments?

P.S. don't read me the wrong way.., I do drugs and am in no way against most of them (except heroin and perscription shit). I'm just trying to find what sort of bands were successful without drugs, or without drugs and trying to get their fans to follow suit.

bonafied? hard drugs, some of them maybe. i know they did anti drug ads in the '70's.

grand funk certainly partied. mark will tell you himself if you ask him. i wonder if he still refuses to do 'american band' because of the lyrical content? a great book is 'an american band' by billy james. it covers all this to a certain extent.

bonafied? hard drugs, some of them maybe. i know they did anti drug ads in the '70's.

grand funk certainly partied. mark will tell you himself if you ask him. i wonder if he still refuses to do 'american band' because of the lyrical content? a great book is 'an american band' by billy james. it covers all this to a certain extent.

I LOVE Grand Funk! They were local boys for me....and yes, they did party. Mark has now found religion and doesn't party anymore but believe me, they did. Now of course the word 'Party' means a lot of things. I'm quite certain the guys didn't do any hard drugs but recreational drugs...yeah.

And all members of Pink Floyd did inbibe in some type of drug....that fact aside....breathing the same air as Syd would have gotten one high. Sid used to put acid in anything he offered you to drink. <_<

Wow.

I had to read the whole thread to find out why such an idiotic topic had such legs.

I won't say the thread "degenerated" into a drug discussion - rather it "generated" into a drug discussion from the ridiculous OP.

Well done, board!

I have read quite a few of Your post on here and You are one of those who trys to start trouble so as the mods have asked I will leave you and those like You to your own end

Well if you call 'causing trouble' challenging the opinions of bigoted old men, such as yourself, then yes, I'm guilty as charged.

I questioned your opinion in this thread, and shit, look at your reaction...you got hysterically upset and angry and started calling me a trouble maker simple because I didn't agree with you opinion...I guess I didn't realise you are that emotionally unstable

And frankly after some of the things you've said on this board, I'm surprised you haven't been banned.

You're just lucky some of the other members on this forum didn't get to see some of your messages before the thread was deleted, otherwise they would've been after you

RIchard Wright was fired froim the band during the Wall sessions for doing mountains of Coke in the studio. Roger was appraently furious. David had a bit of a coke problem as well.

lol, good ole Frank.

The funny thing is no matter how many drugs he didn't do, I still have to be on drugs to listen to his stuff! Must not be within my musical tastes (which is funny, because I can listen to Ween and other "fucked up lyrics" bands like that without doing so).

I know in alot Grand Funk concerts I know of, Farner always got on the mic sometime during the set and gave a "don't give in to the peer pressure" type P.S.A.

Did Zappa ever go beyond just himself and the band in his anti-drug sentiments?

P.S. don't read me the wrong way.., I do drugs and am in no way against most of them (except heroin and perscription shit). I'm just trying to find what sort of bands were successful without drugs, or without drugs and trying to get their fans to follow suit.

OK, so you don't get his sense of humor. What do you think about the music? I think he was brilliant! and for b]Did Zappa ever go beyond just himself and the band in his anti-drug sentiments? In the statement it does say that he campained, not only for him and his band, against drug abuse. If you would read it again you will see.

Archived