The possible Led Zeppelin... could they have been better?

;) Although I disagree with the whole "more interesting and musical..." thing... Although I think I see your point...

I like Won't Get Fooled Again (from Who's Next), and anothers songs like Pinball Wizard. And you're right when you say that you need to get deeper for understand The Who music.

And for the record I don't necessarily think you find what I am talking about in those two songs. Although Won't Get Fooled Again is one of the real anthem songs from that time.

But songs like: Behind Blue Eyes, Pure And Easy, I Am One -- all what I am talking about.

Never saw it that way... For me the band who played real punk (not the sh*t from this times) were The Ramones... (Im 20)...

But now im thinking about that...

That's fine, but if you had asked members of The Ramones and The Clash who their influences are, I am almost certain that they gave a lot of credit to Pete Townshend with his in your face explosive, yet often melodic and soulful style.

To be there is no denying the parallel between The Who/Mods and the Punks. Same attitude although a different style.

That's fine, but if you had asked members of The Ramones and The Clash who their influences are, I am almost certain that they gave a lot of credit to Pete Townshend with his in your face explosive, yet often melodic and soulful style.

unfortunately, there is no one left of the original ramones to ask. joey was a huge 60's pop fan and deedee loved the new york dolls and coped dope with anita pallenberg when her and keith richards were living in new york. both the clash and the ramones had a fetish for bobby fuller of 'i fought the law' fame. the punk band to ask about the who was the sexpistols. both steve jones and paul cook were hardcore townshendites, had 'substitute' in the set before rotten was in the band and were involved in an incident with pete-who had just settled with his former managers and was drinking with the pistols while holding a check for a million pounds. drunk as a monkey, he stood on the table, exhorting the pistols to 'save rock and roll, because i can't', and tore the check up into a hundred pieces. paul cook responded with a question: 'the who aren't breaking up, are they, pete? we quite like the who..." pete ran off, disgusted, eventually passing out in a doorway where he was awakened by a policeman.

sounds like the beginning of a song, doesn't it?

unfortunately, there is no one left of the original ramones to ask. joey was a huge 60's pop fan and deedee loved the new york dolls and coped dope with anita pallenberg when her and keith richards were living in new york. both the clash and the ramones had a fetish for bobby fuller of 'i fought the law' fame. the punk band to ask about the who was the sexpistols. both steve jones and paul cook were hardcore townshendites, had 'substitute' in the set before rotten was in the band and were involved in an incident with pete-who had just settled with his former managers and was drinking with the pistols while holding a check for a million pounds. drunk as a monkey, he stood on the table, exhorting the pistols to 'save rock and roll, because i can't', and tore the check up into a hundred pieces. paul cook responded with a question: 'the who aren't breaking up, are they, pete? we quite like the who..." pete ran off, disgusted, eventually passing out in a doorway where he was awakened by a policeman.

sounds like the beginning of a song, doesn't it?

That's the old story, but I don't know if I believe it. The Pistols were formed in late 1975, and Who Are You was originally written as part of the Lifehouse album, which Townshend worked on from 1970-1971. The times don't match up.

That's the old story, but I don't know if I believe it. The Pistols were formed in late 1975, and Who Are You was originally written as part of the Lifehouse album, which Townshend worked on from 1970-1971. The times don't match up.

nah, baloney.

pete shoehorned 'who are you' into the lifehouse when he ressurected the concept and released it on his website and thru best buy. the project release interviews he did on his website came clean on that.....

edit to add: the 'gateway' mix of 'who are you' is smokin'....

here's the original songs written for lifehouse, ledout:

BABA O’RILEY

BABY DON’T YOU DO IT

BARGAIN

BEHIND BLUE EYES

GETTING IN TUNE

GOIN' MOBILE

I DON'T EVEN KNOW MYSELF

JOIN TOGETHER

LET'S SEE ACTION

LOVE AIN'T FOR KEEPING

MARY

NAKED EYE

PURE AND EASY

PUT THE MONEY DOWN

RELAY

THE SONG IS OVER

TIME IS PASSING

TOO MUCH OF ANYTHING

WATER

WON’T GET FOOLED AGAIN

here's the tracklisting for the re-release (and the 'who are you' and 'by numbers' songs worked in)

1. Teenage Wasteland

2. Going Mobile

3. Baba O'Riley

4. Time is Passing

5. Love Ain't for Keeping

6. Bargain

7. Too Much of Anything

8. Music Must Change

9. Greyhound Girl

10. Mary

11. Behind Blue Eyes

12. Baba O'Riley (Instrumental)

13. Sister Disco

1. I Don't Even Know Myself

2. Put the Money Down

3. Pure And Easy

4. Getting in Tune

5. Let's See Action

6. Slip Kid

7. Relay

8. Who Are You

9. Join Together

10. Won't Get Fooled Again

nah, baloney.

pete shoehorned 'who are you' into the lifehouse when he ressurected the concept and released it on his website and thru best buy. the project release interviews he did on his website came clean on that.....

edit to add: the 'gateway' mix of 'who are you' is smokin'....

Well after further research, turns out we were both right.

WHO ARE YOU 6'22 (1996 remix 6'16)

(Pete Townshend) � 1978 Towser Tunes, Inc. (adm. By Longitude Music, Co.) - BMI

Demo'd by Pete at his Goring studio in June and recorded by The Who at Ramport in October 1977. [it is based on a 1971 synthesizer instrumental by Pete called "Meher Baba M4 (Signal Box)" which was later released on Pete's solo album Psychoderelict. Pete's demo version with lyrics was released on his 1999 solo album Lifehouse Chronicles. On The Who's version] Rod Argent and Pete play keyboards and Andy Fairweather-Low contributed background vocals.

An edited version of 'Who Are You' was released as a single in July, 1978. It reached #18 in the U.K. charts and #14 in the U.S.

The film footage of the band apparently recording this song was filmed at Ramport Studios in June, 1978.

You were right about my theory on the lyrics, they were written in 1977.

Well after further research, turns out we were both right.

WHO ARE YOU 6'22 (1996 remix 6'16)

(Pete Townshend) � 1978 Towser Tunes, Inc. (adm. By Longitude Music, Co.) - BMI

Demo'd by Pete at his Goring studio in June and recorded by The Who at Ramport in October 1977. [it is based on a 1971 synthesizer instrumental by Pete called "Meher Baba M4 (Signal Box)" which was later released on Pete's solo album Psychoderelict. Pete's demo version with lyrics was released on his 1999 solo album Lifehouse Chronicles. On The Who's version] Rod Argent and Pete play keyboards and Andy Fairweather-Low contributed background vocals.

An edited version of 'Who Are You' was released as a single in July, 1978. It reached #18 in the U.K. charts and #14 in the U.S.

The film footage of the band apparently recording this song was filmed at Ramport Studios in June, 1978.

You were right about my theory on the lyrics, they were written in 1977.

alright, i'll split it with ya....

he tried to pass all those songs off because of the reams of music he had laying around from the arp. but the lyric storyline concerning the pistols was confirmed by paul cook. pete recanted on a bunch of songs when best buy did the 'elementals' release and had to point to other who songs roped into the empire radio broadcast.

but, as always, ledout, i can count on you to do some smack up research. nice dig!

And for the record I don't necessarily think you find what I am talking about in those two songs. Although Won't Get Fooled Again is one of the real anthem songs from that time.

But songs like: Behind Blue Eyes, Pure And Easy, I Am One -- all what I am talking about.

To be there is no denying the parallel between The Who/Mods and the Punks. Same attitude although a different style.

True...

So Behind Blue Eyes... then I got job to do..

Thanks..

Archived