Hurricane Season 2008

eternal light

www.nhc.noaa.gov

HURRICANE BERTHA ADVISORY NUMBER 23

NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL022008

500 PM AST TUE JUL 08 2008

...BERTHA WEAKENS TO A CATEGORY ONE HURRICANE...

AT 500 PM AST...2100Z...THE CENTER OF HURRICANE BERTHA WAS LOCATED

NEAR LATITUDE 22.7 NORTH...LONGITUDE 54.8 WEST OR ABOUT 620 MILES...

1000 KM...EAST-NORTHEAST OF THE NORTHERN LEEWARD ISLANDS AND ABOUT

900 MILES...1450 KM...SOUTHEAST OF BERMUDA.

BERTHA IS MOVING TOWARD THE NORTHWEST NEAR 12 MPH...19 KM/HR. A

GRADUAL TURN TOWARD THE NORTH-NORTHWEST WITH A DECREASE IN FORWARD

SPEED IS EXPECTED DURING THE NEXT DAY OR TWO.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS HAVE DECREASED TO NEAR 85 MPH...140

KM/HR...WITH HIGHER GUSTS. ADDITIONAL WEAKENING IS FORECAST DURING

THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 30 MILES...45 KM...FROM

THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 140

MILES...220 KM.

LARGE SWELLS AND HIGH SURF COULD BEGIN TO AFFECT PORTIONS OF BERMUDA

LATE TOMORROW.

ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 980 MB...28.94 INCHES.

REPEATING THE 500 PM AST POSITION...22.7 N...54.8 W. MOVEMENT

TOWARD...NORTHWEST NEAR 12 MPH. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...85 MPH.

MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...980 MB.

THE NEXT ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER AT

1100 PM AST.

• 2 weeks later...

updated 2 hours, 12 minutes ago

McALLEN, Texas - A tropical storm in the Gulf of Mexico could hit the Texas or Mexico border on Wednesday as a hurricane, forecasters said, while noting that another storm had formed Monday in the Pacific off Mexico.

Gulf residents along the Texas-Mexico border kept a watchful eye on Tropical Storm Dolly, stocking up on plywood, generators and flashlights as forecasters predicted the storm would strengthen into a hurricane on Tuesday and make landfall Wednesday.

Texas Gov. Rick Perry activated 1,200 National Guard troops and other emergency crews. Mindful of the disastrous evacuation before Hurricane Rita hit the Texas Gulf Coast in 2005 — when far more people died from heat-related injuries and auto accidents fleeing the storm than from the severe weather — Perry also ordered 250 buses to be staged in San Antonio. The governor also ordered fuel teams to be ready to keep gas stations supplied and to help stranded motorists.

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25783373

Hey I am out here in the South Western Gulf waiting on Dolly to make up Her mind as to Her final trajectory hopefully She will stay away from us.

I thought that they were evacuating the oil rigs already?

I'm on the coast as well. The grocery stores are looking pretty bare. I wonder where Ms. Dolly will hit?

Well, I guess that I could always go to San Antonio for some relaxation. <_<

I just moved back to the coast after living inland for some time. B)

Are you still on your platform? :o

IMG_5656.jpg

I sure am and the winds are starting to pick up a little not bad yet about 15 knots should pick up as time goes by .We are not in the direct path but will get some bad weather.

I thought that they were evacuating the oil rigs already?

I'm on the coast as well. The grocery stores are looking pretty bare. I wonder where Ms. Dolly will hit?

Well, I guess that I could always go to San Antonio for some relaxation. <_<

I just moved back to the coast after living inland for some time. B)

No we are still here They are evacuating some but they are closer to the storm. If it does not turn North We will stay here.If it turns We will shut down and get on a Helicopter and head back to land about a 100 miles to where My Truck is parked in Leeville Louisiana just a few miles from Grand Isle Louisiana.

San Antonio is nice good place to relax love the Riverwalk also tubing or canoeing on the Gaudaloupe River.

I'm here in Brownsville... there's been some frantic grocery shopping in anticipation, but nothing major.. for all we know it MIGHT hit.. but it usually doesnt... always curves North or South at the last minute. Who knows, though? This might be the time it finally hits...

Yeah I am fairly used to the curving North which would create a Evacuation issue for Us We shall see.

Update its almost time for Me to go to sleep and so far the winds are just slightly higher than when I last reported on them .As of 3:40am We have 17 knot Winds about 4ft to 6 ft seas goodnight the rocking will make Me sleep better.

I'm here in Brownsville... there's been some frantic grocery shopping in anticipation, but nothing major.. for all we know it MIGHT hit.. but it usually doesnt... always curves North or South at the last minute. Who knows, though? This might be the time it finally hits...

My sister just arrived from the San Antonio area. Strange need to be where the action is I suppose- they want to go to the beach :blink:

Maybe I should teach the nephews to surf today? LOL B)

Okay, I'm being facetious. But the waves are likely improved. :D

Yeah I am fairly used to the curving North which would create a Evacuation issue for Us We shall see.

Update its almost time for Me to go to sleep and so far the winds are just slightly higher than when I last reported on them .As of 3:40am We have 17 knot Winds about 4ft to 6 ft seas goodnight the rocking will make Me sleep better.

Man you have a dangerous job. I heard on the news this am they were evacuating. I thought of our Al. Hope you are safe. :):unsure:

Yup, we're definitely going to get some heavy rainfall, hurricane-force winds soon. Went to the grocery store and everyone was buying canned food, bread, water, batteries... had to stand in line for a good 45 minutes just to buy dog food!

I secretly love it, though... I love the thrill of the storm. Let yall know what happens.... like I said, either it'll curve into Mexico or towards North Central Texas... who knows?

Gulf of Mexico update Winds still about 15 knots but the Sea's are up to 6ft to 8ft now and the Platform is Rocking some not bad though about 1 degree its like being on a large cruise Ship in moderate Sea's.

As of 3:30 PM Tuesday .

Yup, we're definitely going to get some heavy rainfall, hurricane-force winds soon. Went to the grocery store and everyone was buying canned food, bread, water, batteries... had to stand in line for a good 45 minutes just to buy dog food!

I secretly love it, though... I love the thrill of the storm. Let yall know what happens.... like I said, either it'll curve into Mexico or towards North Central Texas... who knows?

as a katrina survivor, please let me tell you i used to feel the same way. i watched that storm blow through my neighborhood and rip everything to shreds. it wasn't fun. i'm glad for you guys in texas that this storm has been downgraded, and al, you take care out there.

as a katrina survivor, please let me tell you i used to feel the same way. i watched that storm blow through my neighborhood and rip everything to shreds. it wasn't fun. i'm glad for you guys in texas that this storm has been downgraded, and al, you take care out there.

I think We may have dodged a bullet this time but Hurricanes or so unpredictable.

I am actually starting to feel nervous about this - we are a good 3 hours from the coast and 5 hours or more from Brownsville. It's been hot and dry and in the high 90's with no wind here. We were just outside and the winds have really picked up with cool air and clouds blowing in from the southeast. I can only imagine what it is like on the coast. :'(

Video Update from Weather Channel

Dolly now a hurricane, set to hit Texas coast

Updated: 7/22/2008 8:40 PM

By: Associated Press

Dolly gains speed and strength.

McALLEN -- Hurricane Dolly now has highest sustained winds near 75 miles per hour as it heads toward the U.S.-Mexico border and the heavily populated Rio Grande Valley.

At 7 p.m. Central time, the storm's center was about 130 miles east-southeast of Brownsville and was moving northwest at about 11 mph.

There's a hurricane warning for the coast of Texas from Brownsville to Corpus Christi and in Mexico from Rio San Fernando northward.

The first bands of rain began to pass over South Padre Island this afternoon and the surf continues to get rougher. Heavy downpours began moving through Brownsville by late afternoon. Forecasters predict Dolly could dump up to 20 inches of rain and bring coastal storm surge flooding up to 6 feet above normal high tide levels.

http://www.news8austin.com/content/headlin...176&SecID=2

Seeing that picture is really a bizarre experience. Those people were to the right of us this morning at the Island. The clouds darkened momentarily, then the weather brightened again. It was some of the best boogy boarding that we have had in a while. When the tide suddenly washed up to an area that I have never seen wet- even at high tide, we decided it was time to head home.

The winds are picking up a little. I took some video clips with my phone. The waves were much stronger this evening around 9:00 pm CST- even in the sheltered bay area here in Corpus Christi.

I picked up some "hurricane" supplies. Hopefully we'll just have a few drinks, play some poker and barbeque afterward.

:beer:

I have been in hurricanes whose winds lifted a train engine off the tracks and other bizarre and terrifying events. The winds far exceeded 70 mph though.

I was planning to buy a house here- I even looked at (and seriously considered) Island property. I will wait until AFTER the excitement to see which neighborhood I want to be in.

Archived