Hurricane Season 2008

eternal light

Our winds have picked up to 30 Knots = 34.6 MPH We are rolling at a 2.5 degrees for a Platform as big as We are that is quite a bit. Fun Fun Fun its like being back on one of My old Navy Ships in the North Atlantic in High Seas.

Our winds have picked up to 30 Knots = 34.6 MPH We are rolling at a 2.5 degrees for a Platform as big as We are that is quite a bit. Fun Fun Fun its like being back on one of My old Navy Ships in the North Atlantic in High Seas.

I hope you are safe. Does anyone ever get seasick from the rolling of the platform?

Dolly Hits Land As A Category 2

updated 4 minutes ago

Hurricane Dolly hits near South Padre Island

Levees holding the Rio Grande appear to be safe; 12 inches of rain forecast

BROWNSVILLE, Texas - Hurricane Dolly was downgraded to a Category 1 storm after slamming into the South Texas coast Wednesday with punishing rain and winds of 100 mph that blew down signs, damaged an apartment complex and knocked out power to thousands.

About an hour after the storm made landfall, winds weakened to 95 mph. Local officials’ greatest fear — that the levees holding back the Rio Grande would fail and cause massive flooding — eased when Dolly meandered 35 miles north of the U.S.-Mexico border just before coming ashore on South Padre Island as a Category 2 storm.

“The levees are holding up just fine,” said Cameron County Emergency Management Coordinator Johnny Cavazos. “There is no indication right now that they are going to crest.”

215540149_421783.gif

Here in Corpus Christi we had some wind, rain and a small amount of flooding this morning. We are on the outer edges of the hurricane though.

I took a cruise down Ocean Drive- the bayfront this evening after most of the rain and harder winds subsided. The jetties and breakers are covered in water at a level that I have never seen before. The spray from the waves looks like the spray from waves at La Jolla in California. Our waves are never quite that active.

I called a friend of mine who is located in the direct line of the storm. They have been without electricity since 9:00 a.m. Cellular phones are working though. With a car charger, they are in fairly good condition in the Brownsville area.

A few bands of rain blew through the Greater New Orleans area today, cooled things down a bit.

Ah! Corpus, nice town lived in the area for a period back in the 80's on Mustang Island while working in Ingleside at Baker Marine.

On South Padre Island, which endured the worst of Dolly's wrath, power could be out for another day, said town spokeswoman Melissa Zamora. A 9 p.m. curfew was set for the second night in row, and the National Guard were distributing ice, water and food. Residents and visitors recalled a wild ride.

Across the Rio Grande in Matamoros, Mexico, power was restored to large parts of Brownsville's sister city, and Tamaulipas Gov. Eugenio Hernandez said the lights would be on by the end of the day.

Gas stations and factories reopened as about 2,500 police and soldiers patrolled to prevent looting while many of the 13,000 people who had taken shelter returned home.

The last hurricane to hit the U.S. was the fast-forming Humberto, which came ashore in southeast Texas last September.

The busiest part of the Atlantic hurricane season is usually in August and September. So far this year, there have been four named storms, two of which became hurricanes. Federal forecasters predict a total of 12 to 16 named storms and six to nine hurricanes this season.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25783373?GT1=43001

There is a 'boil order' for drinking water in Texas in the areas that were most impacted by the hurricane.

Weather Update Video

Saw the aftermath of -dolly on the news this morning. Alot of rain, with alot of wind, hope those folks can get back to normal alright. They interviewed a couple that was on a 65ft boat, the boat got beat up, but their lucky it stayed moored, from the video they took.

• 2 weeks later...
MSNBC News Services

updated 1 hour, 6 minutes ago

NEW ORLEANS - Tropical Storm Edouard moved across the northern Gulf of Mexico on Monday and has a 20 percent chance of hitting the Texas-Louisiana coast as a hurricane, forecasters said.

At 5 p.m. ET, Edouard had maximum sustained winds near 45 mph, with higher gusts. The storm’s center was located about 135 miles south-southeast of Lafayette, La., and 215 miles east-southeast of Galveston, Texas.

Forecasters said the warm waters of the Gulf provided the right conditions for the storm to intensify and approach hurricane strength with winds of 74 mph or more.

The storm has a 20 percent chance of reaching hurricane speeds before it makes landfall on Tuesday morning near Galveston, the Miami-based center said.

msnbc.msn.com

• 2 weeks later...

In regards to the weather....there was a very rare tornado warning for nyc about two hrs ago and the weather is just hitting here in nassau county,long island. Its thunder and lightning, rain...but not crazy windy yet.

We've had some sea funnels in long island sound and some severe wind hit different areas lately, very turbulent weather last few weeks, thats for sure.

• 2 weeks later...
NEW ORLEANS - Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal declared a state of emergency Wednesday and activated the National Guard as Tropical Storm Gustav approached the Gulf of Mexico.

The storm could crash ashore on the Gulf Coast sometime over the Labor Day weekend as a perilous Category 3 hurricane, though forecasters caution it's difficult to predict the storm's path this early.

Jindal said 3,000 National Guard troops will be activated and deployed a day in advance of the storm's expected landfall. An additional 2,000 troops could be called up to duty.

About 300 guard troops are already in New Orleans, working with New Orleans police to patrol neighborhoods still devastated from Hurricane Katrina in 2005.

"We know it's going to head into the Gulf. After that, we're not sure where it's heading," said Rebecca Waddington, a meteorologist at the National Hurricane Center. "For that reason, everyone in the Gulf needs to be monitoring the storm."

City officials were taking no chances, and drawing plans of how to evacuate the city if necessary. New Orleans plans to institute a mandatory evacuation order should a Category 3 or stronger hurricane be within 60 hours of the city. Mayor Ray Nagin left the Democratic National Convention in Denver to help the city prepare.

Unlike Katrina, there will be no massive shelter at the Superdome, a plan designed to encourage residents to leave. Instead, the state has arranged for buses and trains to take people to safety.

It was unclear what would happen to stragglers. Jerry Sneed, the city's emergency preparedness director, said officials are ready to move about 30,000 people. Nearly 8,000 people had signed up for transportation help by late Wednesday.

Coastal residents prepare

At a suburban Lowe's store, employees said portable generators, gasoline cans, bottled water and batteries were selling briskly. Hotels across south Louisiana reported busy booking business as coastal residents considered their inland refuge options.

Steve Weaver, 82, and his wife Helen stayed for Katrina — and wound up being plucked off the roof of their house and by a Coast Guard helicopter. This time, Weaver said he has no inclination to stay. "Everybody learned a lesson about staying, so the highways will be twice as packed this time," Weaver said.

Katrina struck New Orleans on Aug. 29, 2005, and its storm surge blasted through the levees that protect the city. Eighty percent of the city was flooded, which set into motion a multibillion-dollar rebuilding program.

Since then, the Army Corps of Engineers has spent billions of dollars to improve the levee system. Though experts say the city and surrounding region are safer from hurricanes, the improved levee protection is incomplete and holes remain.

Floodgates have been installed on drainage canals in New Orleans to cut off storm surge from entering the city, and levees have been raised and in many places strengthened with concrete.

Robert Turner Jr., the regional levee director, said the levee system can handle a storm with the likelihood of occurring every 30 years, what the corps calls a 30-year storm. By comparison, Katrina was a 396-year storm.

"There's always the possibility if it comes from the right direction, and if it is large enough to create storm surge in the realm of Katrina, that there could be overtopping" of levees, Turner said.

Gustav formed Monday and roared ashore Tuesday as a Category 1 hurricane near the southern Haitian city of Jacmel with top winds near 90 mph, toppling palm trees and flooding the city's Victorian wooden buildings. It triggered flooding and landslides that killed at least 11 people in the Caribbean. It weakened into a tropical storm and appeared headed for Cuba, though is likely to grow stronger in the coming days by feeding on warm open water.

Path remains uncertain

David Nolan, an associate professor at University of Miami's Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science, says the uncertainty surrounding the track and strength of Gustav is "very large." Forecasts show the storm hitting anywhere from the Florida Panhandle to Texas.

Making a comparison to Hurricane Katrina is way too speculative at this early point in the forecast, he said.

"You can't look at this storm and make any comparisons to Katrina," he said.

Some New Orleans residents weren't deciding on their course of action just yet. Just blocks from where a levee breached in the Lakeview neighborhood during Katrina, Lawson "Sonny" Brannan, a construction company owner, was busy renovating a client's home Wednesday. A wall of Katrina-driven water up to 15 feet deep wiped out the home.

He calmly went about his business, but nonetheless kept a watchful eye on the weather.

"I'm not going to worry about it until I see it in the Gulf, then I'll make my decisions," Brannan said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26425142

weather.com/newscenter/hurricanecentral/2008/gustav tracker

weather.com/maps/news/atlstorm7/projectedpath_large

Thats going to be good tv watching next week.

The G.O.P. celebrating next week.

While the Dems are packing sandbags and New orleans floods again.

Mother Nature is mean.

:o My FEMA account is running low! I could use a top off.

Send all donations to: dzldoc@whezmycheck.org

:o My FEMA account is running low! I could use a top off.

Send all donations to: dzldoc@whezmycheck.org

Well are You staying or going ? I am planning both right now will make a decision by tomorrow.

Good luck Hope all goes well.

AL

Well are You staying or going ? I am planning both right now will make a decision by tomorrow.

Good luck Hope all goes well.

AL

Same here al, not sure when they are going to release us from work. We've been moving vehicles to B.R. the last two days. Preped the generator up in the attic.

Have a chainsaw up there also. If the storm comes and the waters rise, I'll just cut a hole in the roof and float out on my inflatable pirogue :lol:

Same here al, not sure when they are going to release us from work. We've been moving vehicles to B.R. the last two days. Preped the generator up in the attic.

Have a chainsaw up there also. If the storm comes and the waters rise, I'll just cut a hole in the roof and float out on my inflatable pirogue :lol:

Well guys it seems we may get a little rain in the Gulf... I'm on the coast as well.

It's probably a good idea to get a little cash out of the ATM now and keep your car gas tank full. San Antonio makes a good spot to "hide out" for a while.

Or stock up on canned food, bend over and kiss your posterior for good luck. <_<

We know about FEMA now don't we. :rolleyes:

I'm evacuating if it comes my way. No gonads, bravery or whatever, here. B)

I understand the skittishness of New Orleans residents when a hurricane has a chance of coming your way. But its over Jamaica, could go anywhere from Texas to Tampa. What, a 10% or less chance of hitting you straight on?

Why not just MOVE away the WHOLE hurricane season or leave for good?

That to me is like freaking out everytime a thunderstorm forms and you live in tornado alley, or really, anywhere there could be tornadoes.

I do hope for anyones sake it just fizzles out, but seriously, if a Carribean hurricane causes such unrest at this early of a stage, why stay there? I dont get it.

If I was in Israel, I wouldnt be. Id have left a long time ago. Big risk there of a different kind.

Archived