Hurricane Season 2008

eternal light

I understand the skittishness of New Orleans residents when a hurricane has a chance of coming your way. But its over Jamaica, could go anywhere from Texas to Tampa. What, a 10% or less chance of hitting you straight on?

Why not just MOVE away the WHOLE hurricane season or leave for good?

That to me is like freaking out everytime a thunderstorm forms and you live in tornado alley, or really, anywhere there could be tornadoes.

I do hope for anyones sake it just fizzles out, but seriously, if a Carribean hurricane causes such unrest at this early of a stage, why stay there? I dont get it.

If I was in Israel, I wouldnt be. Id have left a long time ago. Big risk there of a different kind.

I guess it's something that only we who live here can understand. <_<

Some storms are "thunderstorms". Others rock our worlds... you never know.

Ask Hawaiians why they live on the edge of a volcano. Or Californians why they tolerate earthquakes.

Such is human nature. :rolleyes:

Ive been in the EYE of a hurricane and the brunt end and rear end as well. Fortunately it was moving so fast the damage was slight, relatively. Thats the chance I took living in harms way, so I understand.

But the media frenzy, the panicking WAY before the threat manifests into a more likely chance of a near or direct hit, irks me.

I dont see that as human nature, but human unnatural.

Then again, alot of people watch soap operas. :huh:

Its SHOWTIME !!!!!!!!

The media loves scare tactics <_< most of them are probably invested in oil stocks.

I filled my tank on tuesday at 3.25 for unregular today the same station was at

3.65 a .40 jump just on speculation of a disruption in the gulf production.

Ive been in the EYE of a hurricane and the brunt end and rear end as well. Fortunately it was moving so fast the damage was slight, relatively. Thats the chance I took living in harms way, so I understand.

But the media frenzy, the panicking WAY before the threat manifests into a more likely chance of a near or direct hit, irks me.

I dont see that as human nature, but human unnatural.

Then again, alot of people watch soap operas. :huh:

Its SHOWTIME !!!!!!!!

No time for soap operas... too busy living life. :lol:

I have been through several hurricanes in my life- for some, it is a good idea to vacation during the event. With others, the situation is dealt with as you wish. B)

No time for soap operas... too busy living life. :lol:

I have been through several hurricanes in my life- for some, it is a good idea to vacation during the event. With others, the situation is dealt with as you wish. B)

We partied during the storm and I even went to the shore (less than a mile away) a photod the surge. It was about 15 feet. Heres the latest this morning of Gustav, intellicast.com

a0icsk.jpg

I do find fascination in maps and not to hype, which I abhore, I will provide the projected path given by intellicast. Maybe you in the bayou ought to head for the hills, if this projection holds water (pun intended), landfall will put the worst part of the storm near N.O. with 115 mile an hour winds. That means the surge would come from the worst direction. Could be dire. Its all speculation still, so if sticking around, got your party supplies? :rolleyes:

xkq7pv.jpg

Latest Projected Path :lol::unsure:

Hurrican_1.jpg

Now that is funny even if We are in the path of death and destruction. We are going to a Resort in Hot Springs . When Rita came I was in Hawaii slumming this time.Just kidding all you people from Arkansas. :D

Latest Projected Path :lol::unsure:

Hurrican_1.jpg

Now that is funny even if We are in the path of death and destruction. We are going to a Resort in Hot Springs . When Rita came I was in Hawaii slumming this time.Just kidding all you people from Arkansas. :D

By BECKY BOHRER, Associated Press Writer

NEW ORLEANS - Police with bullhorns plan to go street to street this weekend with a tough message about getting out ahead of Hurricane Gustav: This time there will be no shelter of last resort. The doors to the Superdome will be locked. Those who stay will be on their own.

New forecasts Friday made it increasingly clear that New Orleans will get some kind of hit — direct or indirect — by early next week. That raised the likelihood people would have to flee, and the city suggested a full-scale evacuation call could come as soon as Sunday.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080829/ap_on_...yzBKW487dZH2ocA

an open letter to all ledheds on the gulf coast:

(dlzdoc, aquamarine, alwizard, tejanablonde, rockarolla and anyone else i may have forgotten)

as someone who watched katrina from my back porch and have dealt with it ever since, here is a sincere prayer that this storm or any other misses you and your families.

my parents and my brother/his family are here also. we have a evacuation plan for my folks who are getting on (my father is a stroke victim) and i don't want to risk any medical emergency down here if the hospitals aren't at 100 %.

i'll be staying, no matter what. too many animals to leave here for themselves. the mississippi coast is currently overwhelmed by the burst of abandoned pet population since katrina and most boarders won't take in any for a storm due to power outages. i'm a half mile from the beach behind the coliseum, and we managed to not flood last time. lucky.

here's a pic from my street-after:

acrossthestreet.jpg

i've been erecting iron at the seabee base and we've shut down and dismantled our heavy equipment. prepared for the worst but hoping for the best.

al, i know you've went through some similar things and i hope you hightail it if it gets near you.

everyone else i hope does the safe thing. i'll be worried about all of you.

it seems that if a hurricane narrowly misses you it wipes somebody else out. i hate that about these storms...

good luck everybody. i'll be online as long as i can.

beat

From the resident hippy dippy LZ.com weatherman,

This storm is magnifying quickly. Already maximum sustained winds of 120mph, gusts to 135mph!!! Good luck to you bayou people.

The latest.

27zwuv.jpg

I just realized the date in the upper left hand corner of this picture says September 4th. Weird.

an open letter to all ledheds on the gulf coast:

(dlzdoc, aquamarine, alwizard, tejanablonde, rockarolla and anyone else i may have forgotten)

it seems that if a hurricane narrowly misses you it wipes somebody else out. i hate that about these storms...

good luck everybody. i'll be online as long as i can.

beat

I've prepared with a full tank of gas, cash and packed bags.

I have traveled these roads in home health for a while. I am reluctant to leave- I am a nurse and could be needed. But in reality, I also have a child that I want to see grow up.

So, there will be no bravery here. I will return afterward if necessary to help if it comes to evacuation.

NBC News and news services

updated 1 hour, 8 minutes ago

HAVANA, Cuba - Gustav has grown to a Category 4 hurricane with 145 mph winds, U.S. forecasters said Saturday, as the storm pummeled a Cuban province, threatened Havana and led to the evacuations of more than 240,000 Cubans.

The storm is responsible for 81 deaths in the Caribbean.

Along the U.S. Gulf Coast, thousands fled New Orleans and other low-lying areas ahead of a possible Tuesday landfall.

The U.S. National Hurricane Center said Gustav could become a Category 5 storm — the most dangerous level — packing 160 mph winds as it moves into the warm Gulf of Mexico. It should then revert to a still very dangerous Category 4 as it hits cooler waters just before landfall along the U.S. Gulf Coast, the center stated.

Gustav hit Cuba's Isla de Juventud province early Saturday. Some 17,000 people had been evacuated from there earlier, NBC's Mary Murray reported from Havana, while others remained behind in shelters. Phone lines were cut off and damage reports were not immediately available.

Heavy winds had felled mango and almond trees and were shaking the roofs of buildings on the province, said Ofilia Hernandez, who answered a community telephone near Nueva Gerona, Isla de Juventud's largest city.

"Everyone's at home. It's getting very ugly," she said. "All night last night there was wind, but not like now. Now it's very strong. Things are starting to fall down."

Cuba's chief meteorologist, Jose Rubiera, told NBC that Gustav pounded the province with heavy winds and a 15-foot storm surge.

Cuba was also evacuating 240,000 people from low-lying parts of tobacco-rich Pinar del Rio province and nearby areas.

Havana could also take a direct hit, Murray said. The big concern there is that half of the downtown housing is considered substandard. Some 100,000 people live in those conditions, she said.

Stiff winds whipped intermittent rains across Havana, where police officers in blue and orange rain coats supervised workers removing stones, tree branches and other debris from the storied beachfront Malecon, as angry waves crashed against the sea wall below.

Yellow school buses lined up outside low-lying neighborhoods, ready to evacuate tens of thousands of residents to shelters on higher ground.

The U.S. naval base at Guantanamo, Cuba, was hundreds of miles to the east and out of the storm's path.

'Turned out OK' in Caymans

Gustav rolled over the Cayman Islands Friday and early Saturday as a Category 3 storm with 125 mph winds that tore down trees and power lines while destroying docks and tossing boats ashore on Little Cayman Island.

But there was little major damage and no deaths were reported. More than 1,100 people spent the night in government shelters.

"The wind was a little nerve-wracking, the howling. But it turned out OK," said Meagan Call, who rode out the hurricane in her hotel room. She had come to George Town from the U.S. Embassy in Jamaica to assist U.S. citizens.

Haiti's Interior Ministry on Saturday raised the hurricane death toll there to 66 from 59. Gustav also killed eight people in the Dominican Republic and four in Jamaica.

Many leaving New Orleans

Gustav could strike the U.S. Gulf Coast anywhere from the Florida Panhandle to Texas, but forecasters said there was an increasing chance that New Orleans will get slammed by at least tropical-storm-force winds, three years after devastating Hurricane Katrina.

Residents began pouring out of New Orleans along the highways and the government announced plans for broader evacuations. The Federal Emergency Management Agency said it expects a "huge number" of Gulf Coast residents will be told to leave the region this weekend.

U.S. emergency officials, mindful of the devastation caused by Hurricane Katrina three years ago, warned that Gustav was expected to be accompanied by a 15- to 30-foot storm surge along the Gulf Coast, and said four states in its potential path were expected to begin large-scale evacuations on Saturday.

"This storm has the potential for being a very dangerous storm," said Bill Irwin, a program director with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.

President Bush declared an emergency in Louisiana, a move that allows the federal government to coordinate disaster relief and provide assistance in storm-affected areas.

As much as 80 percent of the Gulf of Mexico's oil and gas production could be shut down as a precaution if Gustav enters as a major storm, weather research firm Planalytics predicted. Oil companies have already evacuated hundreds of workers from offshore platforms.

Retail gas prices rose Friday for the first time in 43 days as analysts warned that a direct hit on Gulf energy infrastructure could send pump prices hurtling toward $5 a gallon. Crude oil prices ended slightly lower in a volatile session as some traders feared supply disruptions and others bet the U.S. government will release supplies from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve.

Meanwhile, Tropical Storm Hanna was projected to curl westward into the Bahamas by early next week — and could eventually threaten Cuba. It had sustained winds near 50 mph early Saturday and could be near hurricane strength by Sunday, the hurricane center said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26451955/

http://www.weather.com/newscenter/hurrican...008/gustav.html

Well, if we were to ask for the "best scenario", the storm would hit San Patricio county here in Texas in an area that is solely open ranch land. There would be minimal damage to man or beast there.

115 mph upon just reaching open Gulf- this could be quite a storm. :o

Thanks for your good thoughts, beatbo :) --All the best to you and everybody else likely to be in the storm's path. Luckily I live far enough north that we should miss the worst of it, except some flooding and power outages, but we're already being inundated with evacuees. All of whom are very welcome, and you all are invited to join them!

The weather services had predicted the winds to only be about 120mph at Cuban landfall. Theyre 150, which is only 5mph less than the most intense hurricane status of level 5. And it IS STILL strengthening.

The waters in its projected pathway just north of Cuba are the warmest in the Gulf. Thats where it should sustain its most powerful wind velocity. If its 150mph now, it could conceivably hit 170-175mph at that point.

I like tracking this thing, Im sure Ill get chills up my spine tonight when it hits that warmest water region. Hope goes out to anyone in its way.

Well, if we were to ask for the "best scenario", the storm would hit San Patricio county here in Texas in an area that is solely open ranch land. There would be minimal damage to man or beast there.

115 mph upon just reaching open Gulf- this could be quite a storm. :o

"San Patricio" now that brings back memories :rolleyes: Kinda liked Mustang Island though :D

Archived