BEST ZEP BOOTS

zoso

I've never seen them live. But for what i see in recordings and videos i would say:

Royal Albert Hall 70

Earl's Court 73

Madison Square Garden 73

Knebworth 79

It's Earls Court 75, not 73.

And all of these were officially released in pristine form. The bootlegs for RAH and most of the EC shows, for instance, are substandard compared to, say, Orlando '71 or Vancouver '75.

It's Earls Court 75, not 73.

And all of these were officially released in pristine form. The bootlegs for RAH and most of the EC shows, for instance, are substandard compared to, say, Orlando '71 or Vancouver '75.

Orlando '71 is one I have yet to hear. Dammit. :angry:

I'm pretty much a beginner at Zeppelin bootleg collecting (although I must say that I have a massive

Who bootleg collection), but one Zep show that I think sounds excellent but haven't seen it

mentioned here yet is the Baton Rouge 2/28/75 show recorded by "Freezer". I think it's a great

sounding and complete show.

Another nice Zep item I recently acquired is a compilation dvd of 8mm footage that my Who/Zep

trading friend perfectly synched sound to using his Zep audio boot collection - he's familiar with all

of these shows. It's fantastic. Today I have just received a dvd of the 02 concert that my friend

also has synched upgraded audio to and I'm getting ready to watch it tonight. Yesterday I got

"Blueberry Hill", "Going To California", and "Berlin 1980". I'm really starting to get into this

Zep boot collecting!

• 2 weeks later...
I reckon the new Schoeps MK41s source for the O2 gig is going to be way up there with Eddie, Flying Circus, Kneb 4th, Earls Court 24th etc. Its one of the best sounding audience recordings I have ever heard, right in yer face.

There is an MP3 of NQ available but dont know if its ok to post link...........mods?

You're exactly right - this Schoeps version of the 02 show is excellent (I think better than the

Wendy source).

SNOW JOBS (Empress Valley) Pacific Coliseum, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, 19 March 1975

Cracking show and a great recording!!!!

It certainly was. Haven't heard the recording but will seek it out

I think I've posted my favorite boots earlier on this thread but here's a bit of a revised list probably. I've probably gotten a lot more boots since then. I may have some of the dates off.

1968 Gonzaga

1969 Any San Fran show or Boston show and the New York shows. That's about 10 or 12 shows. There's probably about 100 quality shows from this year though. Texas 8-31 is a great one 10-10 Paris, I'm sure I could go on.

1970 LA 9-4 aka "Blueberry Hill", Oakland 9-2, New York City 9-19 afternoon and evening, Munich 3-17, Berlin 3-19, RAH 1-9

1971-Orlando 8-31, Hampton, Va 9-09, Copenhagen 5-3, LA 8-21 and 22, London 11-20, any of the Japan shows.

1972-Japan tour is all good, Australian Tour, LA Forum 6-25, Long Beach 6-27, New York 6-14, Seattle 6-19, Tuscon 6-29

1973-Southampton 1-22, Vienna 3-16, Munich 3-17, Berlin 3-19, Essen 3-22, Fort Worth 5-19, Salt Lake City 5-26, San Francisco 6-2, Chicago 7-6

1975-Earls Court shows, New York 2-12, Seattle 3-21, St Louis 2-16, Long Beach 3-12, Vancouver 3-19

1977-LA Shows, Cleveland 4-28 are about it.

1979-Copenhagen 7-23, 24, Knebworth 8-4

1980-Frankfort 6-30, Zurich 6-29, Brussells 6-20, Dortmond 6-17, there's really only about 2 bad shows out of the 15 or so boots not counting the one where Bonzo was ill. That show was too short to judge.

..."1980-Frankfort 6-30, Zurich 6-29, Brussells 6-20, Dortmond 6-17, there's really only about 2 bad shows out of the 15 or so boots not counting the one where Bonzo was ill. That show was too short to judge. "

Was that when Bonzo ate like 15 bananas before playing and they had to wrap him up in a blanket to take him off of the stage? Plant made a comment to the audience and they were off after like 4 or 5 songs... :unsure:

R B)

..."1980-Frankfort 6-30, Zurich 6-29, Brussells 6-20, Dortmond 6-17, there's really only about 2 bad shows out of the 15 or so boots not counting the one where Bonzo was ill. That show was too short to judge. "

Was that when Bonzo ate like 15 bananas before playing and they had to wrap him up in a blanket to take him off of the stage? Plant made a comment to the audience and they were off after like 4 or 5 songs... :unsure:

R B)

Yep that one. And I think it was 3 songs.

Hi newbie here. 1st post

It's been a long time since I listened to Zep bootlegs, and used to have about a dozen or so of them until I lost them in a fire.

But what I do remember is (and forgive me, I forget where some of these were performed)

Cellar Full of Noise - Japan - Can remember Plant says Boooooonzo a couple of times before he mumbles that he went off with a geisha girl. Then breaks into Tangerine

In the Light- the BBC reissue

Hiawatha Express - Minneappolis rings a bell or maybe Cincinnati

Lets have a Party - ??

Seattle '72 with an awesome extended solo in Thank You

Montreal '75 Friend of my went. He said they almost cancelled it because people were smashing the windows in the Forum

For Badge Holders Only - The night Keith Moon got up

Earls Court

I think thats it

In no particular order.

Earls Court 24/5/75

Destroyer

Listen to this Eddie

Blueberry Hill

Hotter than the Hindenburg

Studio Daze

Silver Coated Rails

Texas 1969

I will probably think of some more later, but the BBC ones are now available officially (mostly).

To be honest the only 'bad' boots I have is Gems & Jams and a compilation on CDR which suffers from digital noise.

Is there down loadable stuff, I think I downloaded Conspiracy Theory from somewhere and a few months back found a Russian MP3 site where you could play a whole track which you could then save. A bit time consuming but managed to download a few tracks I assume it wasn't intentional, as I couldn't do it the next day, just played a short preview.

Andy

It's always stunning to me when people list their fav zeppelin shows and they list like 20 concerts and none of those shows are Offenburg 24th/73 or Berkley 14th/71.........what gives??? listing a 1980 show over either one of those two?? come on now !

My personal fav's are any show between 1969 and 1973......everything else afterwards is hit and miss.....still love most of it, but what I find is when page is not on (which he wasn't for 80% of all shows after '73....not including plants flu in '75) then the entire band seems to suffer.

cheers

It's always stunning to me when people list their fav zeppelin shows and they list like 20 concerts and none of those shows are Offenburg 24th/73 or Berkley 14th/71.........what gives??? listing a 1980 show over either one of those two?? come on now !

My personal fav's are any show between 1969 and 1973......everything else afterwards is hit and miss.....still love most of it, but what I find is when page is not on (which he wasn't for 80% of all shows after '73....not including plants flu in '75) then the entire band seems to suffer.

cheers

There's so many good shows you'll leave good ones off.

cheers

Offenburg is next for me. But with TSRTS and HTWWW. 73 is not on top of my list as 75/77. I like certain bootlegs just for it's version of No Quarter.

These are what I consider the best bootlegs:

8/31/69 Dallas "Texas Pop Festival"

3/7/70 Montreux "Intimidator"

9/4/70 Inglewood " Live On Blueberry Hill"

8/31/71 Orlando "Florida Sunshine"

9/13/71 Berkeley "Going To California II"

9/14/71 Berkeley "Going To California"

9/29/71 Osaka "Fatally Wanderer 929"

6/11/72 Baltimore "Baltimore '72" (not a great recording but the band is on FIRE, good energy from the audience as well)

6/22/72 San Bernardino "Berdu"

6/25/72 Inglewood "Burn Like A Candle"

3/24/73 Offenburg "Not Warm, Its Hot"

6/2/73 San Francisco "Imperial Kezar"

6/3/73 Inglewood "Three Days After"

2/14/75 Nassau "Hempstead"

3/21/75 Seattle "Hammer of the Gods"

3/27/75 Inglewood "Deep Throat III"

5/24/75 Earls Court "Demand Unprecendented in the History of Rock Music"

4/28/77 Cleveland "The Destroyer Strongest Edition"

6/10/77 New York "Riot In Thunderstorm" (again not a great recording but the Garden is absolutely rockin' and so is the band, very good atmosphere and great show)

6/11/77 New York

6/21/77 Inglewood "Listen To This Eddie"

6/23/77 Inglewood "Sgt. Page's Badgeholders Club Band"

6/25/77 Inglewood "The Forum"

6/27/77 Inglewood "Deep Striker"

These are what I consider the best bootlegs:

8/31/69 Dallas "Texas Pop Festival"

3/7/70 Montreux "Intimidator"

9/4/70 Inglewood " Live On Blueberry Hill"

8/31/71 Orlando "Florida Sunshine"

9/13/71 Berkeley "Going To California II"

9/14/71 Berkeley "Going To California"

9/29/71 Osaka "Fatally Wanderer 929"

6/11/72 Baltimore "Baltimore '72" (not a great recording but the band is on FIRE, good energy from the audience as well)

6/22/72 San Bernardino "Berdu"

6/25/72 Inglewood "Burn Like A Candle"

3/24/73 Offenburg "Not Warm, Its Hot"

6/2/73 San Francisco "Imperial Kezar"

6/3/73 Inglewood "Three Days After"

2/14/75 Nassau "Hempstead"

3/21/75 Seattle "Hammer of the Gods"

3/27/75 Inglewood "Deep Throat III"

5/24/75 Earls Court "Demand Unprecendented in the History of Rock Music"

4/28/77 Cleveland "The Destroyer Strongest Edition"

6/10/77 New York "Riot In Thunderstorm" (again not a great recording but the Garden is absolutely rockin' and so is the band, very good atmosphere and great show)

6/11/77 New York

6/21/77 Inglewood "Listen To This Eddie"

6/23/77 Inglewood "Sgt. Page's Badgeholders Club Band"

6/25/77 Inglewood "The Forum"

6/27/77 Inglewood "Deep Striker"

Not a huge fan of the 75-77 choices, but to each their own. Excelleng 69-73 choices for sure, though. But IMO, you left off the single best NYC show -- the 9/19/70 evening show at MSG.

You're right solar, I did forget the 9/19/70 Evening Show, I have a version called "Requeim" and its great, definitely should've made my list.

I went back and looked through my bootleg collection to see if I left a few others out, this is what I came up with..

5/3/71 Copenhagen

9/9/71 Hampton

6/28/72 Tucson

10/10/72 Japan

2/12/75 New York "Flying Circus"

3/11/75 Long Beach "For The Benefit Of Anyone Who Was Making A Bootleg"

3/12/75 Long Beach "Taking No Prisoners Tonight"

3/14/75 San Diego "Conspiracy Theory"

3/19/75 Vancouver "Snow Jobs"

8/4/79 Knebworth "Thanks For Eleven Years"

All those are definitely worth getting as well.

You're right solar, I did forget the 9/19/70 Evening Show, I have a version called "Requeim" and its great, definitely should've made my list.

I went back and looked through my bootleg collection to see if I left a few others out, this is what I came up with..

5/3/71 Copenhagen

9/9/71 Hampton

6/28/72 Tucson

10/10/72 Japan

2/12/75 New York "Flying Circus"

3/11/75 Long Beach "For The Benefit Of Anyone Who Was Making A Bootleg"

3/12/75 Long Beach "Taking No Prisoners Tonight"

3/14/75 San Diego "Conspiracy Theory"

3/19/75 Vancouver "Snow Jobs"

8/4/79 Knebworth "Thanks For Eleven Years"

All those are definitely worth getting as well.

Ah, now those are some fine '75 choices!

Archived