BEST ZEP BOOTS

zoso

How about this question:

If you were to give first priority to the quality of Plant's voice and second priority to the sound quality which are your favorite boots in this respect? Of course, the rest of the band needs to be having a good night as well.

The two boots I have where Plant's voice is at its most powerful are...

8/7/71 Montreux

8/23/71 Fort Worth

His voice is just crazy powerful, and really belting the high notes.

8/7/71 Montreux

8/23/71 Fort Worth

Add the 10/10/69 Paris, L'Olympia show. Plant is crazy good on it. Bonzo has some great moments also.

Vienna 1973 and other European shows of that year. Jimmy at his very best!

His timing, his phrasing, his technique, his attack - a real god!

I can´t understand why so many people love the boots from 1975 to 1980. There are a few exceptional great shows but sometimes it seems like he was struggling with his own legacy of playing.

It´s so good to see and hear him playing really great again in 2007!

8/7/71 Montreux

8/23/71 Fort Worth

You gotta get 9/19/70 if you think those two are powerful. The evening MSG show is just off the charts good.

And I just got San Diego '73, and that very well might be the best of the US tour that year. Page is sizzling (injured his hand later that night), Plant was as cock-sure as any night with pure adrenaline in his vocal chords, and Bonzo and Jones were like a needle in the groove.

You gotta get 9/19/70 if you think those two are powerful. The evening MSG show is just off the charts good.

And I just got San Diego '73, and that very well might be the best of the US tour that year. Page is sizzling (injured his hand later that night), Plant was as cock-sure as any night with pure adrenaline in his vocal chords, and Bonzo and Jones were like a needle in the groove.

Thanks to you and everyone else who posted these suggestions.

Now if I could only find these things... :(

Royal Albert Hall was like January something.

it could have been a live album that they released instead of bootleg.

Dude, come on. RAH is one of their most famous shows. Get the date right. For being Mr Jimmy Page ZoSo you should especially know this because it was his birthday.

I am currently downloading 3/18/1971 Belfast, Ireland. the first concert where "Stairway to Heaven" was played. we will; see what it sounds like.

Wrong again young Skywalker. The date is March 5th, 1971 in Ulster Hall - Belfast, IE.

Also as a little tidbit of Zep knowledge you can impress your friends with - not only was it the first STH played, but also Going to California and Rock and Roll.

So many boots to choose from. Definitely 10 to choose from:

1. 6/27/80 Nuremburg - Bonzo wore himself out.

2. 5/14/88 New York Atlantic Records 40th Reunion. Jimmy's solos just blew me away.

3. 7/13/85 Philadelphia Live Aid. Awesome drumming in this short set.

4. 8/11/79 Knebworth - Another great Jimmy "9 Fingers" Page performance.

5. 7/20/77 Tempe, AZ - The band was almost on fire that night.

6. 6/19/77 San Diego, CA - Another great show.

7. 4/9/77 Chicago, IL - This time Jimmy wore himself out.

8. 1/27/73 Dundee, Scotland - The sound quality on this audience recording is awesome.

9. 11/20/71 London - Probably the best audience recording in my bunch.

10. 8/8/69 San Bernardino, CA - Another great audience recording.

Honorable Mentions:

7/5/71 Milan, IT - They played so well the crowd went nuts.

6/3/77 Tampa, FL - It took an act of nature to get them off the stage!

6/28/70 Shepton Mallet - Oh to have a have a SBD from this one.

Shit, this was the Best Zep Boots thread. My bad! :lol:

Seriously, here is my list:

1. 6/30/80 Rotterdam - Prob the best 1980 show.

2. 8/4/79 Knebworth - Outside of Black Dog solo, this is a great show, IMO.

3. 5/25/75 Earl's Court - When We Were Kings.

4. 2/12/75 New York - Four Blocks in the Snow - Great Plantation after Sick Again.

5. 1/22/73 Southampton - Not best performance, but you can't beat the sound quality.

6. 3/21/73 Hamburg - Band is on fire. Audience portion is rough, but soundboard fragments more than make up for it. Best Dazed and Confused ever.

7. 4/24/69 San Francisco - 1/11, 4/27, and 8/31 are better recordings, but I really like the performance in this one.

8. 6/21/77 Inglewood. Nothing needs to be said here.

9. 10/10/69 Paris - New boot. New is good, except for that damn DJ.

10. 12/10/07 London - They are back in a big way.

Honorable mentions:

1968 - 12/30 Spokane - so far the earliest known recording.

1969 - See #7 above.

1970 - 1/9 RAH and 3/7 Montreux and 9/4 Los Angeles

1971 - 4/1 London, 8/31 Orlando, 9/4 Toronto, 9/29 Osaka

1972 - 6/25 Los Angeles, 6/27 Long Beach, 10/2 Tokyo

1973 - Pretty much all of European Tour with 3/16 Vienna and 3/17 Munich as tops. Also 7/27 New York.

1975 - 2/16 St. Louis, 3/19 Vancouver (got a friend named Georgina and love to play IMTOD for her :D ) and 3/4, 3/5 Dallas.

1977 - 4/27 Cleveland (Best Sick Again, IMO), 5/21 Houston, 6/23 Inglewood (where I got my username from), and 6/27 Inglewood.

1979 - 7/24 Copenhagen

1980 - 7/2 Manheim, and 7/7 Berlin (last gig + funky WLL)

A lot of these are repeats from previous posts, so I guess a lot of us think alike.

So many boots to choose from. Definitely 10 to choose from:

1. 6/27/80 Nuremburg - Bonzo wore himself out.

2. 5/14/88 New York Atlantic Records 40th Reunion. Jimmy's solos just blew me away.

3. 7/13/85 Philadelphia Live Aid. Awesome drumming in this short set.

4. 8/11/79 Knebworth - Another great Jimmy "9 Fingers" Page performance.

5. 7/20/77 Tempe, AZ - The band was almost on fire that night.

6. 6/19/77 San Diego, CA - Another great show.

7. 4/9/77 Chicago, IL - This time Jimmy wore himself out.

8. 1/27/73 Dundee, Scotland - The sound quality on this audience recording is awesome.

9. 11/20/71 London - Probably the best audience recording in my bunch.

10. 8/8/69 San Bernardino, CA - Another great audience recording.

Honorable Mentions:

7/5/71 Milan, IT - They played so well the crowd went nuts.

6/3/77 Tampa, FL - It took an act of nature to get them off the stage!

6/28/70 Shepton Mallet - Oh to have a have a SBD from this one.

Shit, this was the Best Zep Boots thread. My bad! :lol:

:hysterical: NICE!

forgot to mention:

Conspiracy Theory (i don't know the location or year unfortunately)

Dortmund 17-06-1980

Bonzo's Birthday Party 31-02-1973

King Jimmy And The West Bromwich Blues Band 25-05-1975

Not sure how they measure up musically (although i hear Bonzo's Birthday Party is highly regarded) but all of these are good sound quality. Also, with little-no crowd noise (except in breaks in the music and when Plant aims the mic at the crowd)

Can someone post a link to sites where i can buy Led Zeppelin Bootlegs? Couldn´t find anything on the internet so far. Love Led Zeppelins rawness in the early days so much, need those bootlegs :(

Sorry for my bad english, im hungarian

This is not permitted on this site.

The performance on 9/23/71 was brilliant, sound quality is good for an audience recording however the audience noise can be a little annoying on that one, that one guy yelping like a coyote in particular. An amazing boot nonetheless.

Edit: I just listened to this again and I have to say the sound quality is "GREAT" for an audience recording. The performance is arguably one of the best also imo.

Like a couple days ago. A soundboard of the 05.28.77 Landover show came out. The show has it's good moments. IMO great versions of Since I've Been Loving You and Ten Years Gone.

The Landover show actually came out years ago on soundboard. I'd say 2004 ish, a favorite of mine more for the quality than the performance but the performance wasnt bad at all.

The best recorded Led zeppelin I've ever encountered, and I've heard and collected many in years past was recorded at the fillmore west in San Francisco april 27th 1969. No other boot that I've collected or herd even came close. The widely legal marketed "Song Remains the Same" though not a boot leg is the only other live recording that I would compare with the quality of the fillmore show. This recording is an absolute listening must. I also am open ears to any others that you might find to be extremely significant in their sound quality.

sincerely, Horselunges

You can listen to that show here http://concerts.wolfgangsvault.com/dt/led-...t/764-4017.html

Bill Graham had rights to record all shows at the Filmore, there are other Zep shows there and plenty of other bands, awesome website.

The Landover show actually came out years ago on soundboard. I'd say 2004 ish, a favorite of mine more for the quality than the performance but the performance wasnt bad at all.

You are mistaken. Just about a month ago the, 05.28.77 soundboard came out. The one you are referring to is the previous show on May 26th. Where have you been? :D

You are mistaken. Just about a month ago the, 05.28.77 soundboard came out. The one you are referring to is the previous show on May 26th. Where have you been? :D

What in the holy hand grenade of Antioch !!! Youre right I missed that one, Dragon Slayer's on Eel Grass...I saw that and thought it was a reissue of the previous show. How is it ? Some other amazing stuff has just come out also, of a more recent vintage. B)

What in the holy hand grenade of Antioch !!! Youre right I missed that one, Dragon Slayer's on Eel Grass...I saw that and thought it was a reissue of the previous show. How is it ? Some other amazing stuff has just come out also, of a more recent vintage. B)

The show starts off a bit slow but the bands picks it up in Nobody's Fault But Mine. As I mentioned before Ten Years Gone and Since I've Been Loving are great. Kashmir is the longest version ever. Not one mistake in it. :lol: You should check it out.

Amazing isn't it? I still can't believe they performed together. Except for the occasional bum note by Page the show was pretty good. Hopefully there are more shows to come. :)

The show starts off a bit slow but the bands picks it up in Nobody's Fault But Mine. As I mentioned before Ten Years Gone and Since I've Been Loving are great. Kashmir is the longest version ever. Not one mistake in it. :lol: You should check it out.

Amazing isn't it? I still can't believe they performed together. Except for the occasional bum note by Page the show was pretty good. Hopefully there are more shows to come. :)

Cool, I will do that. Even tho my favorite shows are pre 73, the 75 and 77 soundboards are just so nice due to the sound quality. Some may be a little dry but I'll take them anyway, there were so many earlier shows that were awesome but have terrible sound quality like Copenhagen 71. I'm hoping one day for a soundboard from one of the Japan shows, now that would be amazing.

What record stores do you go to find those recording's ?

I downloaded this show in the couple of days, I agree SIBLY and TYG are awesome, some of my favourites from the '77 tour.

Archived