Roberts Says God Forced His Resignation

Levee

2007-11-28 21:14:50

By JUSTIN JUOZAPAVICIUS Associated Press Writer

TULSA, Okla. (AP) — Richard Roberts told students at Oral Roberts University Wednesday that he did not want to resign as president of the scandal-plagued evangelical school, but that he did so because God insisted.

God told him on Thanksgiving that he should resign the next day, Roberts told students in the university's chapel.

"Every ounce of my flesh said 'no'" to the idea, Roberts said, but he prayed over the decision with his wife and his father, Oral Roberts, and decided to step down.

Roberts said he wanted to "strike out" against the people who were persecuting him, and considered countersuing, but "the Lord said, 'don't do that,'" he said.

After submitting his resignation, he said, for "first time in 60 days peace came into my heart."

Roberts spoke for only a few minutes and was applauded and cheered by students. He wiped away tears with a white handkerchief and his hands.

"This has nearly destroyed my family, and it's nearly destroyed ORU," Roberts said.

A lawsuit accuses Roberts of lavish spending at a time when the university faced more than $50 million in debt, including taking shopping sprees, buying a stable of horses and paying for a daughter to travel to the Bahamas aboard the university jet.

Roberts has previously said that God told him to deny the allegations. The week the lawsuit was filed, Richard Roberts said that God told him: "We live in a litigious society. Anyone can get mad and file a lawsuit against another person whether they have a legitimate case or not. This lawsuit ... is about intimidation, blackmail and extortion."

On Wednesday, Roberts said God told him he would "do something supernatural for the university" if he stepped down from the job he held at the 5,700-student school since 1993.

On Tuesday, the founder of a Christian office and education supply store chain pledged $70 million to help the university, provided it passed a 90-day review of the school's finances. Oklahoma City businessman Mart Green, founder of the Mardel chain, offered to donate $8 million immediately.

Roberts said he would return to the full-time evangelistic healing ministry, "which is where my heart has always been," and told students and faculty that he will be praying for them every day of his life.

"I believe with all my heart the best is yet to come for ORU," he said.

Roberts walked out of the chapel through a side door to more cheers. Regents Chairman George Pearsons followed, telling students the ORU administration is "endeavoring to do the right thing" during a very difficult time.

"This is a good university," Pearsons said. "ORU is a place where love is king."

Gary Richardson, the attorney who filed the lawsuit accusing Roberts of lavish living, said Wednesday there was a possibility for settlement with the university, but held out little hope for settling with Richard Roberts after what he said was his failure to admit in chapel he did anything wrong.

"You can't imagine the people who say to us, 'Don't let it be swept under the carpet,'" Richardson said.

Richardson also said his firm filed a request with Roberts' attorneys for a copy of a report detailing an outside audit of the university's finances. Tuesday, Pearsons refused to provide details of the audit, citing the pending litigation.

"We'll get it, as long as there's a lawsuit involved," Richardson said.

Roberts remains the CEO of the Oral Roberts Evangelistic Association and remains a "spiritual regent" who cannot vote on university matters.

On Tuesday, Pearsons announced a plan to separate the finances and leadership of the university from the Oral Roberts Evangelistic Association, a move welcomed by many students and faculty members.

The university has been under the ministry since its inception in 1963, an arrangement that critics say led to co-mingling of funds and a blurring of leadership roles.

See more stories in this category

The week the lawsuit was filed, Richard Roberts said that God told him: "We live in a litigious society. Anyone can get mad and file a lawsuit against another person whether they have a legitimate case or not. This lawsuit ... is about intimidation, blackmail and extortion."

Okay, but does God still sound like Charlton Heston... or maybe George Burns? :huh:

2007-11-28 21:14:50

By JUSTIN JUOZAPAVICIUS Associated Press Writer

TULSA, Okla. (AP) — Richard Roberts told students at Oral Roberts University Wednesday that he did not want to resign as president of the scandal-plagued evangelical school, but that he did so because God insisted.

God nothing, the pretentious charlatan had no choice.

God told him: "We live in a litigious society. Anyone can get mad and file a lawsuit against another person whether they have a legitimate case or not. This lawsuit ... is about intimidation, blackmail and extortion."

Bullshit.

If this were really god, you'd see some strategically placed 'shall's, 'thee's, 'thine's, and 'thou's.

"Richard?"

"Yeah?"

"It's me. God"

"Oh Hi God, how ya doing?"

"I want you to resign"

"Well....I've been thinking about it, how about the first of the year?"

"I want you to resign on Friday the day after Thanksgiving"

"Wha! I can't do it that day, it's the busiest retail day of the year, we were going shopping"

"Richard!"

"Oh c'mon God, be a sport, we were going early to the Cracker Barrel for breakfast and then on to the mall, have you seen some of the mark downs at the Gap?"

"No I haven't I'll check later,but I still want you to resign on that day"

"No! I will not do it!"

"Well, then you leave me no choice, but to play the I Insist card"

"Not that! you wouldn't"

"Try me"

"But God, be reasonable!"

"Richard I insist that you resign on that day"

"Oh crap.........all right"

"Good." So you say the Gap eh?"

"Yes God, they have some really good deals and then we are going to JC Penny and possibly Sears..and..........

"Goodbye Richard"

"Richard?"

"Yeah?"

"It's me. God"

"Oh Hi God, how ya doing?"

"I want you to resign"

"Well....I've been thinking about it, how about the first of the year?"

"I want you to resign on Friday the day after Thanksgiving"

"Wha! I can't do it that day, it's the busiest retail day of the year, we were going shopping"

"Richard!"

"Oh c'mon God, be a sport, we were going early to the Cracker Barrel for breakfast and then on to the mall, have you seen some of the mark downs at the Gap?"

"No I haven't I'll check later,but I still want you to resign on that day"

"No! I will not do it!"

"Well, then you leave me no choice, but to play the I Insist card"

"Not that! you wouldn't"

"Try me"

"But God, be reasonable!"

"Richard I insist that you resign on that day"

"Oh crap.........all right"

"Good." So you say the Gap eh?"

"Yes God, they have some really good deals and then we are going to JC Penny and possibly Sears..and..........

"Goodbye Richard"

Hilarious!

This is enough to make me believe in god. :)

Okay, but does God still sound like Charlton Heston... or maybe George Burns? :huh:

LOL!!!

Does anyone remember that SNL sketch from the late 1980's around the time that Oral Roberts (Richard's dad) said "God would kill him if he didn't come up with a million dollars..."? Phil Hartman was playing Oral Roberts in this sketch and the voice of God was none other than:

Charlton Heston

who was guest hosting that night.

It was one of the funniest things I've ever seen!

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Might as well keep all the loonies in one bin...

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/white-house-advisor-valerie-jarrett-speechless-pat-robertson/story?id=9555714

White House Adviser Valerie Jarrett 'Speechless' Over Pat Robertson's Haiti Comment

Robertson Says Haiti Earthquake Result of Haitians' 'Deal with Devil'

By CLAIRE SHIPMAN and DEVIN DWYER

Jan. 14, 2010

The earthquake in Haiti is a tragedy of such gargantuan proportion that it's natural to wonder how -- or why -- any God, if there is a God, could allow it.

Enter the Rev. Pat Robertson, who always seems to have a ready answer for the unanswerable.

"You know ... something happened a long time ago in Haiti. … They got together and swore a pact to the Devil," Robertson said on the Christian Broadcasting Network's "700 Club" Wednesday.

"They said, 'We will serve you if you get us free from the French.' True story." That's right: Robertson seems to suggest the Haitians brought the earthquake on themselves, in a deal with Satan.

"And so, the Devil said, 'OK, it's a deal.' And they kicked the French out," he went on. "You know, the Haitians revolted and got themselves free. But ever since, they have been cursed by one thing after another."

Robertson's words instantly triggered a firestorm on the airwaves and online, including a rebuke from senior White House adviser Valerie Jarrett on "Good Morning America" today.

"I'm kind of speechless about that kind of remark," Jarrett said. "Our heart goes out to the people of Haiti. … That's not the attitude that expresses the spirit of the president or the American people, so I thought it was a pretty stunning comment to make."

In a statement on its Web site, the Christian Broadcasting Network said Robertson was speaking objectively about Haiti's history that has led "countless scholars and religious figures over the centuries to believe the country is cursed.

"Dr. Robertson never stated that the earthquake was God's wrath," the statement reads. "If you watch the entire video segment, Dr. Robertson's compassion for the people of Haiti is clear."

Robertson is actively involved in helping launch and finance relief efforts to help the Haitian people and called on viewers to donate money to the cause on Wednesday's show, according to the network.

Robertson's words instantly triggered a firestorm on the airwaves and online, including a rebuke from senior White House adviser Valerie Jarrett on "Good Morning America" today.

"I'm kind of speechless about that kind of remark," Jarrett said. "Our heart goes out to the people of Haiti. … That's not the attitude that expresses the spirit of the president or the American people, so I thought it was a pretty stunning comment to make."

I like Alyssa Milano's "rebuke" via Twitter better:

Dear Pat Robertson, You're a douche. Sincerely, Alyssa Milano

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/white-house-advisor-valerie-jarrett-speechless-pat-robertson/story?id=9555714

The earthquake in Haiti is a tragedy of such gargantuan proportion that it's natural to wonder how -- or why -- any God, if there is a God, could allow it.

Enter the Rev. Pat Robertson, who always seems to have a ready answer for the unanswerable.

"You know ... something happened a long time ago in Haiti. … They got together and swore a pact to the Devil," Robertson said on the Christian Broadcasting Network's "700 Club" Wednesday.

"They said, 'We will serve you if you get us free from the French.' True story." That's right: Robertson seems to suggest the Haitians brought the earthquake on themselves, in a deal with Satan.

"And so, the Devil said, 'OK, it's a deal.' And they kicked the French out," he went on. "You know, the Haitians revolted and got themselves free. But ever since, they have been cursed by one thing after another."

:wacko::slapface:

Way to set a good Christian example. Geez.

White House Adviser Valerie Jarrett 'Speechless' Over Pat Robertson's Haiti Comment

Robertson Says Haiti Earthquake Result of Haitians' 'Deal with Devil'

By CLAIRE SHIPMAN and DEVIN DWYER

Jan. 14, 2010

In a statement on its Web site, the Christian Broadcasting Network said Robertson was speaking objectively about Haiti's history that has led "countless scholars and religious figures over the centuries to believe the country is cursed.

"Dr. Robertson never stated that the earthquake was God's wrath," the statement reads. "If you watch the entire video segment, Dr. Robertson's compassion for the people of Haiti is clear."

Robertson is actively involved in helping launch and finance relief efforts to help the Haitian people and called on viewers to donate money to the cause on Wednesday's show, according to the network.

It's been a while since we had something to blame France for. ;)

Archived