Is anyone with me?

LedZep1969

Now days I just don't see anymore good music I mean rap is crap, the new Fall Out Boy MCR etc sucks. Yea AC/DC, Metallica etc are still around but it's just not the same you know? Please let me know if you feel the same way I do, rock n' roll may never die, but it's just sleeping.

I donno.

There is some really good music that has come out this year, or going to come out by some really good bands that I have loved for years.

For something new, Have you listened to any Black Keys?

They are amazing.

good music is all around but, unbelievably, is not easy to discover

look for a good "alternative" radio and you'll listen to new good music

unfortunately the term "alternative" is abused and don't make the real sense of the words and for this you'll invited to alternative music but that's not what I mean

Now days I just don't see anymore good music I mean rap is crap, the new Fall Out Boy MCR etc sucks. Yea AC/DC, Metallica etc are still around but it's just not the same you know? Please let me know if you feel the same way I do, rock n' roll may never die, but it's just sleeping.

Partly i agree as now days rock bands Like fallout boy and Tokio hotel suck... But still there are bands like 30 Sec To marce and Foo Fighters that rock.... Rock is realy in a deep sleep, only the oldie legendary bands Like Deep Purple and AcDc keep it alive... but soon rock will erupt. . . . . . .

Partly i agree as now days rock bands Like fallout boy and Tokio hotel suck... But still there are bands like 30 Sec To marce and Foo Fighters that rock.... Rock is realy in a deep sleep, only the oldie legendary bands Like Deep Purple and AcDc keep it alive... but soon rock will erupt. . . . . . .

amen brother

There's a lot of great rock'n'roll bands.. But don't expect to find them via radio, TV and other mainstream channels. Mainstream music was as bad in the 70's as it is today.

Like everyone's said, there is a lot of good music out there if you walk 5 miles in the snow up a hill in order to find it, but it's a shame that radio is such a wasteland. I don't expect this to be another '70s and spring forth a dozen timeless bands, but come on! It'd be nice to have just one band who sort of represented the atmosphere of the time. Where's our Nirvana? Where's our, uh, U2? What the heck are people going to remember about the '00s when they're over? When our kids ask who the biggest band of our time was, we're basically going to have to tell them there wasn't one. "Yeah, we had a bunch of indie bands that had a couple of hits each, and then there was that whole rap-rock thing at the beginning of the decade, but we usually don't mention that unless it's in the same sentence as disco and boy bands..." What a bummer.

I agree up to a point. There is some good music out there, but not nearly as much as there used to be. I don't think bands are given enough time and encouragement to develop these days and some of the bigger bands lack adventure and diversity. There was an article in the latest 'Classic Rock' magazine putting forward the suggestion that the greatest year in rock was in fact 1973. When you read what was released that year you can appreciate why they came to that conclusion:

January

Free - Heartbreaker, Steely Dan - Can't Buy A Thrill

February

Deep Purple - Who Do You Think We Are, John Martyn - Solid Air

March

Bruce Springsteen - Greetings From Asbury Park, NJ, Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon, Roxy Music - For Your Pleasure, Alice Cooper - Billion Dollar Babies, Led Zeppelin - Houses Of The Holy

April

David Bowie - Aladdin Sane, Eagles - Desperado, The Faces - Ooh La La

May

Yes - Yessongs, Wings - Red Rose Speedway, Hawkwind - Space Ritual, Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells

June

Aerosmith - Aerosmith, Iggy & The Stooges - Raw Power

July

Genesis - Live, Jethro Tull - A Passion Play, Steely Dan - Countdown To Ecstacy, Queen - Queen

August

Stevie Wonder - Innervisions, 10cc - 10cc

September

Eric Clapton & Friends - The Rainbow Concert, Status Quo - Hello!, Lynyrd Skynyrd - Pronounced Leh-Nerd Skin-Herd, Rolling Stones - Goats Head Soup, Neil Young - Time Fades Away, Thin Lizzy - Vagabonds Of The Western World

October

Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Genesis - Selling England By The Pound, Steve Miller - The Joker, Lou Reed - Berlin, The Who - Quadrophenia

November

ZZ Top - Tres Hombres, Bruce Springsteen - The Wild The Innocent And The E Street Shuffle, John Lennon - Mind Games, Roxy Music - Stranded

December

Electric Light Orchestra - On The Third Day, Yes - Tales From Topographic Oceans, Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Paul McCartney & Wings - Band On The Run, Emerson Lake & Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery

OK, not everyone will like all those but I wonder how many albums released in 2008 will be looked on in 35 years as classics? Not many I'll bet....

When our kids ask who the biggest band of our time was, we're basically going to have to tell them there wasn't one. "Yeah, we had a bunch of indie bands that had a couple of hits each, and then there was that whole rap-rock thing at the beginning of the decade, but we usually don't mention that unless it's in the same sentence as disco and boy bands..." What a bummer.

Ouch, that's harsh...

I'm a huge defender of Disco. Some of those disco bands had incredible musicians.

Look at the rhythm section of 'Chic'. Bernard Edwards and Tony Thompson were fucking sublime! And Bernard was the absolute bass King. I defy anybody to play like him. And Nile Rodgers of Chic, the famed producer he became, also worked with Robert on The Honeydrippers.

And Dan Hartman, of the Edgar Winter Group, took all those prog experiences and turned them into incredible Disco records.

Disco was dance music at its very best, before everything got synthesized and computerized.

Dude or Dudette i am on your side, this is exactly how i feel, especialy these dance anthem "songs", how the hell can you possibly call that music?

And rap, whoever invented that had no musical talent whatso ever.

I can go on and on but you will get bored of me and would porpbaly cause an argument :rolleyes:

I am sorry if my views seem harsh but i gave my views very lightly.

But as you say there are some good bands like Red Hot Chillie Peppers, Foo Fighters and bands like that.

There are lots of good bands playing awsome music, just not a lot of "Hard Rock" like Zep, Purple, Sabbath, Montrose, Trower, Van Halan, AC/DC, etc.

If you look beyond rock there are a lot of fantastic bands but you'll never hear them on Clear Channel comercial radio, check small clubs and the internet.

A few bands carry the torch, Allman Brothers Band and Gov't Mule come to mind.

There are lots of good bands playing awsome music, just not a lot of "Hard Rock" like Zep, Purple, Sabbath, Montrose, Trower, Van Halan, AC/DC, etc.

If you look beyond rock there are a lot of fantastic bands but you'll never hear them on Clear Channel comercial radio, check small clubs and the internet.

i know i love all of those bands its just i dont like curent music anymore

Do you people never listen to anything different? I mean, jeez, that must get boring.

There are OTHER genres than Rock ;)

There's...

Metal

Symphonic Metal

Death Metal

Thrash Metal

Jazz

Jazz Fusion

Nu-Jazz

Classical

Electronica

Progressive Rock

Progressive Metal

Traditional Folk

Orchestral

Soul

Funk

Trip-Hop

Lo-Fi

I guess there are some people who love all music, and then there are those who just want to hear their one little niche over and over again until it get's beaten to death, slowly.

I like other stuff, I listen to classic music and opera, I like movie soundtracks and world music.

I listen to country music (the Dixie chicks are my guilty pleasure).

Metal (sub genra, take it or leave it).

I like certain hip hop and R&B.

so yeah my ears are open, I just feel like my real passion is rock but I certainly enjoy other things.

I think there is some good music out there, but your willingness to try something new may be the issue. After years of listening to my wife complain about Zeppelin, AC/DC, Rush, etc. I finally relented and let her control the radio once in awhile. After some initial misgivings, I came to enjoy some of what she listens to. Now, my kids, that's a different story. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, I still have to approve whatever they get from iTunes, and some of it leaves a little to be desired.

Yeap.

There is a real big problem not only in rock, but everywhere. Does anybodie like modern music???? I realy doubt in that... . . . I mean have you heared modern Jazz???? It sonds realy like crap.... The whole music is being poisoned with Crap like RAP (It even goes in rhyme) and modern R&B..... Do they even know what is R&B, i mean do they think that britney spears and Eric Clapton do the same music???? Something realy bad heppened with music lately.... . . . .. World became too materialistic. . . . Nowdays money is everything and art is nothing. . . . . . This blodie producers are consentrated only to sell person from the outside and not from the inside and exactly inside is real art. . . . They've learned how to rule youngsters minds. . . . . I just dont understand how people of my age can call Frenk Sinatra or John Lee Hookers music crap and to worship 50 cent. . . . What is wrong with the world today???. . . . How can they say that 50 cents lyrics have more plot then Freddie Mercuries or certanly Jim Morrisons. . . . "I a mother...fuc...in PIMP" - Where's the blodie damn plot???? Is i better than this: The One thing we're all waiting for is peace on earth and an end to war its The Miracle we need, The Miracle. . . . Things like this would have never happened in Led Zeps times. . . . . So i holp that some day the purple-queen-zep music will be back and this crap will be thrown to the Twister of times :lol: (Me and my band try our best for it, and holp that many will Join us and go overground instead of performing underground) Sorry if i sound too critical but thats the truth what i just cant face. . . . . Viva LED ZEPPELIN!!!! Viva QUEEN!!! Viva DEEP PURPLE(MK2)!!!!

Like others have said, there is a lot of good stuff out there...my recommendation to those of you stuck in the 'classic rock' rut is to give indie or metal a shot. Check out your local music scene, see what it has to offer. I've been a part of the scene here for a couple years now, and it has really showed me a lot. Through the people you meet, through the shows that are scheduled. And don't be afraid to go on one of your favorite bands' myspace and sift through some of their top friends you've never heard of, you might be surprised.

I also listen to my college radio station. Lots of great stuff I've never heard of on there. :D

Every once in a while I'll post a thread about a band I recently discovered and love...my last one got no replies. And now I see this. :rolleyes:

But one last word of advice - keep an open mind! Give bands a chance, don't just listen to ten seconds of one song and make a decision. If anyone wants recommendations, ask away. B)

A couple more points.

Please do not insist that rap is crap. Chances are 1) you're actually referring to hip hop, 2) you're referring to the mainstream, and 3) you're just reinforcing your own pre-determined narrow mindedness towards a whole genre of music, in which, yes, effort and talent actually are present.

Screw bringing "rock n roll" back. That time has passed, the whole point is that things progress with time. It's just not going to happen. If you want to listen to classic rock, go listen to it. There is absolutely NO point in repeating what was done over 30 years ago, so NOBODY is going to do it. And if someone does (and I'm sure people have tried), EPIC FAIL. They'll make it nowhere. It has already been done.

Don't trick yourself into hoping it will come back. You'll only hinder your openness to new music, and the natural progression of your own musical taste.

here are some newer music recommendations that i hope will help you

(from an elderly man who can barely hear thanks to marshall stacks and led zeppelin)...

try ben harper 'lifeline' key song on there: "in the colors"

some idea without a category- van morrisonish r & b with very good musicianship

the raconteurs 'consolers of the lonely' key song "salute your solution"

some idea-balls out distorted rock n roll

wolfmother 'wolfmother' key song "woman"

some young freaks channelling some heavy influences (uh, zeppelin?)

kings of leon 'because of the times' key song: "my party"

hard rock with a swing/funk tint.

there's a few. scoot to amazon to hear samples if you like. if none of these work for ya, my bad, just trying to help.

your buddy, beat

Archived