budgetting

slave to zep

:lol: See folks! use all of these savings tips and you too! could be vacationing in Hawaii !

Actually you are correct. If I learned anything from parents and grandparents it was how to stretch a dollar if I need to. Delayed gratification and living well within your means will end up paying off.

But many people today never get there because they fall into the trap of running up credit card bills to the point that they will never get ahead. If I only had a couple of hundred dollars a year to spend on my vacation I would go camping and fishing for a week in the beautiful Sierra Nevada mountains. It may not be a five star hotel, but it's a five star view.

Actually you are correct. If I learned anything from parents and grandparents it was how to stretch a dollar if I need to. Delayed gratification and living well within your means will end up paying off.

But many people today never get there because they fall into the trap of running up credit card bills to the point that they will never get ahead. If I only had a couple of hundred dollars a year to spend on my vacation I would go camping and fishing for a week in the beautiful Sierra Nevada mountains. It may not be a five star hotel, but it's a five star view.

:o No shittn' back in the 80's I had beans and salad for 6 mnths just so I could expunge myself of the evil plastic! interest rates were outragious back then. well I still have a few, but I use them to my advantage.

ie: when ever they have one of those 1-2yrs Nothing down, No payment, No interest sales I will go and buy a CD or interest bearing bond for 1 or 2 yrs and then cash it in when it matures then payoff the purchase and keep the interest for myself.

:o No shittn' back in the 80's I had beans and salad for 6 mnths just so I could expunge myself of the evil plastic! interest rates were outragious back then. well I still have a few, but I use them to my advantage.

ie: when ever they have one of those 1-2yrs Nothing down, No payment, No interest sales I will go and buy a CD or interest bearing bond for 1 or 2 yrs and then cash it in when it matures then payoff the purchase and keep the interest for myself.

I do a similar thing with my credit cards.

I charge just about EVERYTHING on plastic. From the grocery store to medical office visits to my six dollar lunch. I just pay off the balance every month when the bill comes. I have NEVER CARRIED A BALANCE on a credit card or had a late payment in my life,

I used to use a card that gave me frequent flyer credits, but with all the new airline restrictions bullshit about cashing them in, it's almost too much of a hassle. Now I use a card that gives me options for gift cards from retail stores. And I always try to select the retailers that will ADD MORE VALUE to the amount of my bonus value. I believe the last time I cashed in the bonus I ended up getting about four hundred dollars in gift cards to Eddie Bauer.. That's 100% free shit! And then when I go to the store I also use the various 10 - 20% off coupons Eddie Bauer is always sending me, plus I buy everything at the end of a season so as to buy items that are marked down as much as half off.

Basically the credit card company is paying for nearly all of my name brand causual wear jeans, polo shirts and jackets every year at no cost to me.

The other upside about using a credit card for purchases is that if you have a problem or dispute with a retailer or other service, the credit card company will often come to your side and reimburse you for your purchase if they find that your problem is justified. And in addition, if your items are stolen, some credit cards will cover all or part of the purchase as well.

I am amazed at why people use debit cards for anything. I never use a debit card, don't even own one. If I'm going to spend a $100 dollars why not let the credit card company cover that payment until the monthly bill comes? You know you have to pay it anyway, and if you used a debit card you obviously have the money to pay the bill when it comes. Plus if my credit card is stolen and there are unauthorized charges, I'm only liable for up to $50 dollars if I don't report it right away. That's a lot less liability than giving a retailer AN ACCESS POINT to my bank account.

Edited by Del Zeppnile

I do a similar thing with my credit cards.

I charge just about EVERYTHING on plastic. From the grocery store to medical office visits to my six dollar lunch. I just pay off the balance every month when the bill comes. I have NEVER CARRIED A BALANCE on a credit card or had a late payment in my life,

I used to use a card that gave me frequent flyer credits, but with all the new airline restrictions bullshit about cashing them in, it's almost too much of a hassle. Now I use a card that gives me options for gift cards from retail stores. And I always try to select the retailers that will ADD MORE VALUE to the amount of my bonus value. I believe the last time I cashed in the bonus I ended up getting about four hundred dollars in gift cards to Eddie Bauer.. That's 100% free shit! And then when I go to the store I also use the various 10 - 20% off coupons Eddie Bauer is always sending me, plus I buy everything at the end of a season so as to buy items that are marked down as much as half off.

Basically the credit card company is paying for nearly all of my name brand causual wear jeans, polo shirts and jackets every year at no cost to me.

The other upside about using a credit card for purchases is that if you have a problem or dispute with a retailer or other service, the credit card company will often come to your side and reimburse you for your purchase if they find that your problem is justified. And in addition, if your items are stolen, some credit cards will cover all or part of the purchase as well.

I am amazed at why people use debit cards for anything. I never use a debit card, don't even own one. If I'm going to spend a $100 dollars why not let the credit card company cover that payment until the monthly bill comes? You know you have to pay it anyway, and if you used a debit card you obviously have the money to pay the bill when it comes. Plus if my credit card is stolen and there are unauthorized charges, I'm only liable for up to $50 dollars if I don't report it right away. That's a lot less liability than giving a retailer AN ACCESS POINT to my bank account.

Del, I can't believe it! I thought my father was the only man in the world that never paid one penny interest on ANYTHING! I told him "Good dad, you should be in the Guiness Book of World records, ironically, I have a higher credit rating than you!" His come back was "Yeah, well when I want a new car I just go buy one!" He gave me hell when I got my first credit card - JC Penny...I was 30 frikking years old! Of course....he was right, I'm now living the 'American Dream' :banana:

Del, I can't believe it! I thought my father was the only man in the world that never paid one penny interest on ANYTHING! I told him "Good dad, you should be in the Guiness Book of World records, ironically, I have a higher credit rating than you!" His come back was "Yeah, well when I want a new car I just go buy one!" He gave me hell when I got my first credit card - JC Penny...I was 30 frikking years old! Of course....he was right, I'm now living the 'American Dream' :banana:

Having good credit is important, and even more so now for people wanting a better mortgage rate on a home purchase. I should amend what I said by pointing out that I did finance part of car I bought when I was 19 years old. I bought a used truck for $3500. and financed half of it even though I had enough money to pay cash for it. I did this only because I wanted to establish credit so that when it came time to buy a home, I wouldn't have any problem. And I paid it off early anyway.

Now my credit rating is pretty far up there, but obviously not as high as someone who carries credit card balances but has a perfect payment history. I just don't see any good reason for paying interest on anything execpt for a home mortgage. I'd pay off my home mortgage (and I probably will when I turn 50 in two years), but I'm not sure that I'm at that 'tipping point' where it is to my tax advantage yet. But we do make double principal payments every month just to save on interest.

I'm sure it's the same in the US, there is a massive credit problem here in Aus because so many people max out their credit cards, and have big mortgages, then Reserve Bank interest rates go up. Because everything they own is on credit, they end up putting most of their paycheck into paying interest on their loans.

As people spend more money on credit, the economy inflates at a false rate (people are spending more than they can actually afford), so to control inflation the Reserve Bank puts up interest rates.

If you can't afford it, don't buy it.

I agree. Why, oh why do they issue cards to people who have NO credit history. :angry:

I don't buy until I've saved enough to buy it straight out. That may not "build" credit, but it keeps me safe and happy not having to worry about payments, late or otherwise.

Tip: go through your old jewelry and exchange that old gold you never wear for CASH!

Last I checked gold was 1000 an ounce. It doesn't take that many chains to add up to an oz. :)

Spice Mixes - Ever see the price of a package of seasoning mix for making chili, spaggetti sauce or many other things? Ridiculous! Most of these are easily made from spices and condensed powders (onion, garlic, chili) that can be bought in lager bulk containders or cellophane bags. And don't buy the brand name spices just look for the no name brand bulk containers. Or maybe try growing some your own spices and herbs. I don't grow many myself, but I do like fresh basil and rosemary when I make my pasta sauce so I always have a couple of small pots growing these two out in the garden.

Point is that most premixed and packaged items are easily made resulting in hundreds of dollars of yearly savings. Give it a try.

Righto! I buy cinnamon and bay leaves in bulk.

B)

I agree. Why, oh why do they issue cards to people who have NO credit history. :angry:

I don't buy until I've saved enough to buy it straight out. That may not "build" credit, but it keeps me safe and happy not having to worry about payments, late or otherwise.

Tip: go through your old jewelry and exchange that old gold you never wear for CASH!

Last I checked gold was 1000 an ounce. It doesn't take that many chains to add up to an oz. :)

lol, i guess i could do that.

if i had some........... :D

Ladies, if you've ever wanted your unmentionables drawer to smell fresh and clean, but don't want to buy expensive potpourri sachets to stick in them, buy a bar of Dove soap and keep it in the little box and throw it in the drawer. That's what I do, and the scent doesn't dissipate anywhere as fast.

But why would anyone want to mix Ramin noodles with good crab meat? Im not saying you cant cook, but man, crab meat is crab meat. And Ramin noodles are like kraft mac and cheese. Welfare food. I'd rather fish or hunt for my dinner than eat Kraft.

Ramen noodles aren't "welfare" food. That's a rather pejorative statement, no? I mix them because it tastes good, it's cheap and so far none of my family has dropped dead from eating it and they're smartasses enough to tell me if it sucked.

Furthermore, there's nothing wrong with Kraft Mac and Cheese. I wasn't aware that these food products were limited to people on government assistance.

Edited by Electrophile

What's wrong with casseroles? They're yummy and you can make them any way with just about anything. They're great for feeding crowds or for holidays. My mom's green bean casserole actually brings the neighbors over every year.

Edit: Wait a damn minute here. A new member, exhibiting typing errors that previous members have used before. No, can't be. Wait, yes it can. Buh-bye.

Edited by Electrophile

Wow! That really gives me a new appreciation for my jewelry beyond " Oh, that is a good match for...". I guess I should keep up with the price of precious metals more closely. B)

Brilliant idea for those without sentimental attachments to their collections. I remember every occasion that occurred with each piece.

thanks. actually my free time is when i have my son. i work 5 days. i guess i could try for a part time course, but to put it plainly, i dont think im smart enough. thats the honest truth.

Why not give it a shot?

I worked three jobs, had three kids and now have three degrees.

You hold the power to amaze yourself. Be your own cheerleader. :cheer:

Even at one course at a time you will still have the degree/diploma. Remember- the pyramids were built one brick at a time. B)

Why not give it a shot?

I worked three jobs, had three kids and now have three degrees.

You hold the power to amaze yourself. Be your own cheerleader. :cheer:

Even at one course at a time you will still have the degree/diploma. Remember- the pyramids were built one brick at a time. B)

I am Woman hear me roar! :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Sincerly :thumbsup:

Here in Louisiana most folks will eat anything that doesn't eat them first! and even if it does,

they'll take a few bites on the way down the gullet :lol:

Thinking of the 'gators... I agree with you. LOL :D

A little cayenne improves most things. B)

I am Woman hear me roar! :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Sincerly :thumbsup:

LOL. Absolutely. :D

I am a very goal directed person. My life is never boring- wouldn't want it any other way. I help others to improve their lives. I sleep well at night with a clear conscience. That is the best life has to offer. B)

LOL. Absolutely. :D

I am a very goal directed person. My life is never boring- wouldn't want it any other way. I help others to improve their lives. I sleep well at night with a clear conscience. That is the best life has to offer. B)

I could sit for hours thinking and entertaining myself with thought. :coffee:

That is very admirable. ^_^

thanks gibson girl. i actually work at a supermarket, at night, so yeah, i never pay full price for bread. and quite often some meat. we mark down our hot chickens to $3 or $4 dollars late at night, so i usually buy a couple of those .

i prefer to give my unwanted stuff to a charity, cos i know someone out there will need them, like me.

cos i work at night, theres no way ill ride a bike or walk to and from work. and buses dont go that late.

ive already answered the moving house point.

but great ideas, i may see if i can plant some veggies.

Have you considered finding a larger house for a slightly larger rent, then acquiring a roommate to split the rent with? You both save money, nicer home... both win. ;)

Have you considered finding a larger house for a slightly larger rent, then acquiring a roommate to split the rent with? You both save money, nicer home... both win. ;)

it sounds good on paper, but i have shared custody of a son with aspergers syndrome, and hes not easy to live with sometimes. also, im trying to get full custody, and it wouldnt look good if i had a stranger living in the house. i shared flats as a younger person ( as most of us have ) and i dont think i could handle all the stress of " who drank all the milk! " and related crap at this stage in my life!

it sounds good on paper, but i have shared custody of a son with aspergers syndrome, and hes not easy to live with sometimes. also, im trying to get full custody, and it wouldnt look good if i had a stranger living in the house. i shared flats as a younger person ( as most of us have ) and i dont think i could handle all the stress of " who drank all the milk! " and related crap at this stage in my life!

That's true. It is one of the ultimate money saving plans though.