budgetting

slave to zep

im not too proud. what i really need is affordable housing, and its just not available. 10 year waiting list, what a joke. i spend half my earnings on rent, making a rich person richer...........

You should try and look into housing benefits. Here (depending on what your wage is, maybe your wage is too high, I don't know?) it is possible to be supplemented with rent benefits to help out a little. I don't know if that might be the case there but often you will find that people are not aware of what is possibly available to them. They just don't realise it and never bother to look into it.

It's worth a try.

Can you categorically tell me that no refugee or aslyum seeker 'foreign' to Australia ever gets any help or benefits from the government there in any way, shape or form?

Who knows? I am not an Immigration Officer.

There are so many visas you can apply to enter the country. Generally, the most common are work or business related. In such cases, when you apply under these grounds you are not entitled to the benefits I mentioned earlier until you have a permanent visa. Still, there is a time limit you need to respect before you can apply for them.

I am guessing, the refugee or asylum seeker category might be entitled to have certain benefits due to the hard circumstances (coming from third world countries, war zones, ect) these people ask for entry into Australia.

Common sense..

It sounds like you are suggesting that the people who have made better choices in life need to give up some of their hard earned money to bail out folks who have not made good choices in life?

darn it...i should have chosen to be born to multi-millionaires...what the hell was i thinking???

Who knows? I am not an Immigration Officer.

LOL, well I didn't think you were. :D

There are so many visas you can apply to enter the country. Generally, the most common are work or business related. In such cases, when you apply under these grounds you are not entitled to the benefits I mentioned earlier until you have a permanent visa. Still, there is a time limit you need to respect before you can apply for them.

I know. I lived in Australia for a year in the mid 1990s. I got a year long working holiday visa.

I am guessing, the refugee or asylum seeker category might be entitled to have certain benefits due to the hard circumstances (coming from third world countries, war zones, ect) these people ask for entry into Australia.

Common sense..

These were the people I was referring to. I didn't say all and every foreigner gets handouts and benefits. My German girlfriend came to live in England a decade ago and didn't get any benefits. However, there are others that most certainly do. I wasn't suggesting that they shouldn't. Just pointing out that if foreigners can get help and benefits then a tax payer native to that country is entitled to help as well and shouldn't feel 'too proud' to seek help if they need it.

You don't get a pat on the back from your government for being too moralistic to accept benefits. Well, at least I haven't heard that being the case. :)

These were the people I was referring to. I didn't say all and every foreigner gets handouts and benefits.

Good, Mangani. :)

I felt that your post about "foreigners" was a bit of a generalization and could have been misunderstood.

Sometimes it is better to clarify then leave it "pending"... ;)

Cheers..

Del, I wish you'd budget your attitude towards others to 2 or 3 threads. Where do I start? First of all, the county only paid a portion of the daycare, not all of it. I could not have made it without that; in fact, I would have been on welfare without it. Secondly, I've been on a waiting list for affordable housing for 7 years. I, too, pay half my income in rent.

Do you have kids? Pride disappears fast when you're feeding them Ramen noodles. I went to the foodshelf a few times, as more and more people in the suburbs are doing these days. She also sat in school with the other kids who couldn't afford to go on field trips. That's the way the cookie crumbles, sometimes.

Dump your shitty attitude towards your fellow humans on lazy people who don't want to work. Shit happens sometimes, and when it happens to you, you might be singin a different tune (I know I am!) It ain't so black and white.

Del, I wish you'd budget your attitude towards others to 2 or 3 threads. Where do I start? First of all, the county only paid a portion of the daycare, not all of it. I could not have made it without that; in fact, I would have been on welfare without it. Secondly, I've been on a waiting list for affordable housing for 7 years. I, too, pay half my income in rent.

Do you have kids? Pride disappears fast when you're feeding them Ramen noodles. I went to the foodshelf a few times, as more and more people in the suburbs are doing these days. She also sat in school with the other kids who couldn't afford to go on field trips. That's the way the cookie crumbles, sometimes.

Dump your shitty attitude towards your fellow humans on lazy people who don't want to work. Shit happens sometimes, and when it happens to you, you might be singin a different tune (I know I am!) It ain't so black and white.

I've never had to go on any kind of public assistance, I've been blessed with always having a decent job with decent wages having said that, after Katrina I rushed back home to see what I could do to protect my home from further damage and vandalism. Well with all the local stores destroyed or out of commission due to lack of electricity, the free ice, water and MRE's were a welcome hand up! tasted like gourmet to me :D

There are times when you have to look at the human side of things.

well, at least you might get some child support (?) things are so tight at mine, that i just cant buy ANYTHING thats not essential. my sound card went on my computer, and i dont know when i can replace it. its frustrating nit being able to hear the latest offerings on here and you tube. all my clothes, work and otherwise are second hand. most of my furniture also. im not whining, im ok with all that. its just id like to see a light at the end of this tunnel.....its been this way for awhile now. its quite amazing to me, that aperson who holds down a fulltime legit job, who pays taxes, can still live like i do. i just thought someone may have a brilliant idea that i could try........i welcome all suggestions. well, almost all! :D

You have "free time" of sorts. Get a well paying degree. During the days that you don't have your child, you can make progress. That is the route I chose as a single mom. I don't regret it. I make more than ten times the salary that I had before. It's not an immediate solution, but worth the effort.

B)

I've never had to go on any kind of public assistance, I've been blessed with always having a decent job with decent wages having said that, after Katrina I rushed back home to see what I could do to protect my home from further damage and vandalism. Well with all the local stores destroyed or out of commission due to lack of electricity, the free ice, water and MRE's were a welcome hand up! tasted like gourmet to me :D

There are times when you have to look at the human side of things.

If you call having 1/3 of my daycare being paid for 2 years being on "public assistance", then wow. Put me on the old Reagan "welfare queen" shitlist.

Having said that, I've never been through anything even remotely as difficult as hurricane Katrina.

I assume both you and Del went to private school? Because you're above public assistance.

Edited by Suz

You have "free time" of sorts. Get a well paying degree. During the days that you don't have your child, you can make progress. That is the route I chose as a single mom. I don't regret it. I make more than ten times the salary that I had before. It's not an immediate solution, but worth the effort.

B)

I've been working towards that for four years. It's slow going, but someday I'll get there.

I've always done it on my own, so I know it can be done. I don't get child support, and the only "public assistance" I get is reduced-price lunch for my son at school--and the school pretty much forced me to take that, I didn't ask for it. Sure, it can be tough, especially at first. I certainly learned real fast how to cook with rice, beans, and potatoes, and there were times when we ate nothing but rice, beans, and potatoes for a few days because I didn't have any money until payday. I do alright now, but I'm not rich by any means. My car, for example is 11 years old but I own it outright, which helps because I'm not making car payments. And because I own it, I can carry just the liability coverage on it, which saves me money on car insurance.

If you call having 1/3 of my daycare being paid for 2 years being on "public assistance", then wow. Put me on the old Reagan "welfare queen" shitlist.

Having said that, I've never been through anything even remotely as difficult as hurricane Katrina.

I assume both you and Del went to private school? Because you're above public assistance.

suz, I think you read me wrong. I didn't say there was anything wrong with getting help.

I thought I made my point that there comes a time when everyone can use a helping hand.

Myself included, that's why I said we have to look at the human side of things sometimes.

I'm about to join the ranks of the single parent so I will learn more about it first hand.

I won't qualify for any financial assistance and my wife is psychologically incapable of providing

any future assistance.

No, I went to public school throughout my years and state sponsored technical college.

what are your best money saving tips? im a single mum, working fulltime. after i pay the rent, my car payment, petrol, food and utilities, there is diiddly squat left over. so what are your tips?

Make sure the correct amount of taxes are being withheld from your paycheck. If you are receiving a big refund at the end of the year, you are essentially giving the government an interest free loan. (If you are doing this and using the large refund for a vacation, well that's another story). But having the correct amount of taxes withheld can put some money in your pocket for monthly expenses.

Believe it or not, the best thing to do is to OWE the government money. This is often a hard concept for people to understand. The key is to KNOW that you will owe taxes at year end and are prepared for the hopefully small bill. I'm a former accountant, so I'm pretty good at calculating and adjusting as the year progresses.

When I was transitioning into a new career I looked at almost everything I spent money on and took the appropriate action.

what are your best money saving tips? im a single mum, working fulltime. after i pay the rent, my car payment, petrol, food and utilities, there is diiddly squat left over. so what are your tips?

Oh, if your employer offers a tax deferred savings program such as a 401K, try to put the minimum into it. Especially if they offer a match. The match is free money. Putting in the minimum(just 2%), should have a small impact on your net check due to the tax savings. As hard as this might sound, it's a great confidence builder and after a year of two you should have a little bit of money saved.

B)

thanks. actually my free time is when i have my son. i work 5 days. i guess i could try for a part time course, but to put it plainly, i dont think im smart enough. thats the honest truth.

I've always done it on my own, so I know it can be done. I don't get child support, and the only "public assistance" I get is reduced-price lunch for my son at school--and the school pretty much forced me to take that, I didn't ask for it. Sure, it can be tough, especially at first. I certainly learned real fast how to cook with rice, beans, and potatoes, and there were times when we ate nothing but rice, beans, and potatoes for a few days because I didn't have any money until payday. I do alright now, but I'm not rich by any means. My car, for example is 11 years old but I own it outright, which helps because I'm not making car payments. And because I own it, I can carry just the liability coverage on it, which saves me money on car insurance.

my car is 13 yo. but im still paying it off. it will be worth nothing by the time i own it. but atm, its going really well. i say a big thankyou everyday when it starts! i dont have any insurance. just the compulsory third party.

It's pretty hard I know. I live on $925 a month pension and just make sure I take care of the bills, food, etc.

I try to drive as little as possible these days and limit my driving only to the market once a month to stock up on food. I do try to sock away 50 bucks a month for a rainy day but at times also have to dip into that. I'll be getting social security in about 4 years and that will be a big help on top of my pension. I just hope it's still there when I apply. :(

Oh, if your employer offers a tax deferred savings program such as a 401K, try to put the minimum into it. Especially if they offer a match. The match is free money. Putting in the minimum(just 2%), should have a small impact on your net check due to the tax savings. As hard as this might sound, it's a great confidence builder and after a year of two you should have a little bit of money saved.

thanks jethro. i am paying the right amount of tax, i have already checked that one. i am salary sacrificing $30 a week to my superannuation, this means the govt match my payments. but i cant touch this money till i retire. any other tips, its good to know we have an accountant with us!

It's pretty hard I know. I live on $925 a month pension and just make sure I take care of the bills, food, etc.

I try to drive as little as possible these days and limit my driving only to the market once a month to stock up on food. I do try to sock away 50 bucks a month for a rainy day but at times also have to dip into that. I'll be getting social security in about 4 years and that will be a big help on top of my pension. I just hope it's still there when I apply. :(

i feel for you. the pensioners here in oz live on rediculous payments. its a disgrace. you guys went through wars to keep our countries free, and this is how we repay you. grrr. yes, i only use my car when i have to. petrol is so expensive. i just go to work, come home. go to work, come home.....thank goodness for the internet........

The 401K is an American thing, but here we have 'superannuation'. It is compulsory for your employer to withhold 9% of your income if you earn above a particular threshold for the week.

While inconvenient in the short term, the power of compound interest means that 9% of the average salary (in Aus), around $5,500 p.a, is saved every year of your working life, and returns a compound interest rate of approx. 10-15% p.a.

Employees can also choose to 'salary sacrifice' into their fund, voluntarily investing their money, and the government matches this amount - effectively doubling your money with no obligation.

The catch is, this money can't be accessed until retirement, but can be accessed tax free at the age of 60. In the long term this means that the government will need to support less people in their old age, and people are able to have a much higher quality of life in retirement.

The 401K is an American thing, but here we have 'superannuation'. It is compulsory for your employer to withhold 9% of your income if you earn above a particular threshold for the week.

While inconvenient in the short term, the power of compound interest means that 9% of the average salary (in Aus), around $5,500 p.a, is saved every year of your working life, and returns a compound interest rate of approx. 10-15% p.a.

Employees can also choose to 'salary sacrifice' into their fund, voluntarily investing their money, and the government matches this amount - effectively doubling your money with no obligation.

The catch is, this money can't be accessed until retirement, but can be accessed tax free at the age of 60. In the long term this means that the government will need to support less people in their old age, and people are able to have a much higher quality of life in retirement.

yes, as i said, im already doing this. wish i could do more than $30 pw week, though.

im not too proud. what i really need is affordable housing, and its just not available. 10 year waiting list, what a joke. i spend half my earnings on rent, making a rich person richer...........

Obviously you feel that "rich people" are not entitled to the money that they have earned. And why is there a waiting list for housing? Are you talking about state owned housing, or some type of "rent controlled' housing -- where the property owners are forced to keep rents low, which effectivly would be below the going market price they could charge.

All rent controls and government housing does is create a disincentive for property owners and real estate developers to build more housing. My uncle used to own a couple of apartment buildings in an area of Los Angeles where liberals got 'rent control' laws made so that there could be "affordable housing." So all my uncle did was convert the apartment into condos and sold them off individually and got even richer.

So much for making laws to make "more affordable housing." Any economics 101 course will tell you that government subsidies and artificial markets only have an opposite effect on specific markets. Take away the profit motive, and you pretty much take away all the benefits to society.

my car is 13 yo. but im still paying it off. it will be worth nothing by the time i own it. but atm, its going really well. i say a big thankyou everyday when it starts! i dont have any insurance. just the compulsory third party.

If it runs and gets you where you need to go, it's doing exactly what you bought it for. So I wouldn't exactly say it's worth nothing would you? ;)

Are you talking about state owned housing, or some type of "rent controlled' housing -- where the property owners are forced to keep rents low, which effectivly would be below the going market price they could charge.

All rent controls and government housing does is create a disincentive for property owners and real estate developers to build more housing. My uncle used to own a couple of apartment buildings in an area of Los Angeles where liberals got 'rent control' laws made so that there could be "affordable housing." So all my uncle did was convert the apartment into condos and sold them off individually and got even richer.

So much for making laws to make "more affordable housing." Any economics 101 course will tell you that government subsidies and artificial markets only have an opposite effect on specific markets. Take away the profit motive, and you pretty much take away all the benefits to society.

If Australia is like England in this regard (as it is in many other aspects) then she is likely talking about council (state) built and owned housing. These are much much cheaper to live in than privately owned housing and they are of great benefit to people on low income who can't afford the extortionate high prices that private owners charge. However, the waiting lists to get one of these affordable council/state houses are very long as there just aren't enough of them around to meet demands.

I hope you are not now going to say that council/state owned housing is a bad commie/liberal/nanny state ideology because on the contrary not everybody is well off enough to afford to buy their own homes or to rent hiked up extortionately priced accommodation from private owners.

Hell, I wish my mortgage/rent was as cheap as the council/state owned housing.

All rent controls and government housing does is create a disincentive for property owners and real estate developers to build more housing.

No, what 'government housing' does is gives people less fortunate the opportunity to be able to afford to rent a decent place to live. :)

Edited by Mangani

If Australia is like England in this regard (as it is in many other aspects) then she is likely talking about council (state) built and owned housing. These are much much cheaper to live in than privately owned housing and they are of great benefit to people on low income who can't afford the extortionate high prices that private owners charge. However, the waiting lists to get one of these affordable council/state houses are very long as there just aren't enough of them around to meet demands.

I hope you are not now going to say that council/state owned housing is a bad commie/liberal/nanny state ideology because on the contrary not everybody is well off enough to afford to buy their own homes or to rent hiked up extortionately priced accommodation from private owners.

I don't believe that providing housing or much of anything else should be the business of the government. I mean just look at some of the sentiment about these welfare programs; people actually believe they should be entitled to them. They believe they are "free" and without cost to other people.

But more aggrevating to me is the sentiment that landlords (private business owners) are some of evil folk just by nature. That "profit" is a bad word. Just how many more people would be having trouble finding housing if there weren't private owners willing to invest their own capital in renting real estate to folks needing homes? Obviously the state couldn't just step in and provide all that housing. Hell, sounds like there already is a 10 year waiting list just based on what some people here have said. If is wasn't for all those evil "rent hiking" private owners; there wouldn't be hardly any places for people to live.

Hell, I wish my mortgage/rent was as cheap as the council/state owned housing.

Who doesn't but then you wouldn't be investing/owning anyting either would you?

No, what 'government housing' does is gives people less fortunate the opportunity to be able to afford to rent a decent place to live. :)

Why do you think it's all about good 'fortune' or luck? My advise to young people is to start planning for and saving to buy a home long before they are out of their teens. And maybe that doesn't even involve saving money at first. Just staying in school, not using drugs or not getting pregnant is probably the best way to "PLAN" for ones own future.

Good life choices are not by luck, they are choices.