Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
LedZep1969

Your favorite Jimmy guitar

Whats your favorite Jimmy guitar?  

202 members have voted

1. 1. Guitars

• Sunburst Signature Les Paul
    • Gibson Custom Double Neck
    • Black Signature Les Paul
    • Other

This is a hard choice, but if I HAD to choose...the double neck Gibson. What a piece of art as an instrument and Jimmy just played this magically IMHO.

His cherry red Les Paul that he used on "Kashmir" at the o2. I've always loved it. He used it sparingly in Zep. He opened his "Outrider" tours using it on "Who's To Blame"/"Prelude"/"OTHAFA". I particularly loved his solo's on "OTHAFA" on the cherry red. "Kashmir" at the 02 never sounded better live until he used it on that.

speaking of the double neck Gibson, who else used one?

i know there were a few, but the only one off the top of my head i can

think of is Rik Emmett of Triumph.

I've seen Tom Morello from Rage Against The Machine use one

I've seen Tom Morello from Rage Against The Machine use one

One of the guitarists in "Coheed And Cambria" uses one, and even though he doesn't use it live, I know James Hetfield used one for a couple of parts during the recording of Nothing Else Matters.

As for my favorite guitar of Jimmy's, it's the Black Beauty. The tone on that guitar was just so perfect. I like his Number 1, but the Black Beauty beats it in terms of looks and tone.

speaking of the double neck Gibson, who else used one?

i know there were a few, but the only one off the top of my head i can

think of is Rik Emmett of Triumph.

Alex Lifeson from RUSH used one (White) during the 70s and on recent tours.

Voted for the double neck, but the Sunburst Signature Les Paul is absolutely my fav :)

One thing for sure the way JP threw that EDS-1275 around was impressive. Jimmy isn't exactly Hercules and those guitars are freakin' heavy and awkward so I choose that based on how amazing his use of it was.

Edited by danelectro

My favorite...

Whatever one he is using.

But

If I had to choose, it would be between the #1 and the Black Beauty. Very cool to look at, very cool sound and down right sexy.

Although other well known artists have used the double neck, for me that guitar IS Jimmy Page!

The first video I ever saw of Jimmy playing was with the SG double and that will always be the one.

And yes that vid was "Stairway to Heaven" seen many many moons ago.

Give me the Dragon Tele any day, love the tone those guitars produce in the right hands. I use a similar Tele as my primary guitar, some guitarist feel the Tele is a real ballbuster and that you really have to work at it to make it sound good. I never had a problem, the most natural electric guitar I ever played. My secondary guitar is a PRS which I also love and use for when I need a really fast neck or tremelo, but my baby is my Tele :elvis2::wub:

I selected the Gibson Custom Double Neck. Three words. The Rain Song.

Close runner up would be the guitar he used @ MSG for No Quarter. He was amazing on that performance! :)

.........missy

60strat.jpg

YES! The Lake Placid Blue Stratocaster, because I have one just like it :) Except mine is an inexpensive Japanese-made model from 1985 (but still excellent, mind) while Jimmy's is probably vintage, I dunno. I didn't choose that model because of JP, I had never seen him with a Strat actually, I just loved the looks of it, still do. The pictures don't do justice to the color, which is a lovely almost electric blue.

My custom strat looks like Page's KET Custom:

Photo%25252027.jpg

KET_Custom1.jpg

Still would like to know what pickups he used in that guitar...

I love his Danelectro the black & white contrast, the lipstick pick ups; it has a sleazy sound perfect for the blues. I also loved his Fender that he painted a dragon on.

Edited by ZoSo1960

Amen to that! I can't count how many times I've tried to explain that to people wanting to know what to buy to "sound like Page". I appreciate their enthusiasm, and I admit I was the same way when I was younger. But give Jimmy Page a Les Paul, a Stratocaster, a Telecaster, anything, and he still sounds like Jimmy. Yet you've got people wondering where they can find a vintage t-top Gibson pickup like the one Page replaced his original PAF with, like it's the key to the kingdom. "How was it wound? What is it's output?". It's one thing to be an archivist, it's another to believe that having his gear will make you sound like him.

Evster, I SO agree!

I just love him playing ANY guitar!!!

Edited by Bayougal65

1959 Fender Telecaster

1e30b808ffcaa81f67ceb107e6930ea6.jpg

1953 Fender Telecaster

7f20c99d2135b74e25baeaeab882d5cd.jpg

1969 Gibson Les Paul Number 3

7e732ff656f24d813de7284b8cf66360.jpg

Edited by Taro