60's bands suggestions

Zoso2112

I like her position on old rockers. I do agree with her to some degree. At some age, you should just stop...

Also, she was fucking gorgeous. As I always say, if it were the 60s, I'd be a lesbian for Grace :)

Grace isn't singing anymore, in a way because of these thoughts. Why should any musical performer have to divert their career because of the way they think the public will view them? She was a model, in a way, it's a curse....

Why are all you l's captialized? :D

Anyway, there are a bunch of good books out there to read on Zep. Buy anything, and then you decide what you want to believe.

forget everything bout my "L"z :lol::lol:

I guess I'm gonna do that..I mean buying whoLe thing.. But first I need a memory cLeaner or something Like that :lol::rolleyes:

Any specific album suggestions for Wilson Pickett, Booker T and the MG's, or Three Dog Night? I'm familiar with some of each groups' songs, but not the albums. Might just go with Best of or Greatest hits, to start with?

That is what I'd do.

Have you checked out the Who?

You must mean the Guess Who? I do have their greatest hits and BTO's also - love them both!

I do have to get the Who's Live at Leeds - which I've heard, but don't own yet...

For the love of god and all that is holy, please listen to the 13th Floor Elevators. Also listen to Gonn, the Spencer Davis Group, The Sonics, Cuby and the Blizzards, The Birds, Keith West / The In Crowd, The Pretty Things ... I could seriously go on for days. And listen to new stuff that hearkens back to that stuff (I just named bands that an awesome newish band covered a lot). Go buy ANYTHING labeled "Back From The Grave," "Teenage Shutdown," "Nuggets," etc.

Check out this blog: http://rideyourpony-twighlightzone.blogspot.com/

and this one: http://chocoreve.blogspot.com/

Good luck. IMO, this stuff is the greatest music ever created.

edited to say: Someone PLEASE recommend me some good sixties SOULLL. I have stuff by Solomon Burke and Otis Redding and I adore them and I have no idea where to go from there. :)

You must mean the Guess Who? I do have their greatest hits and BTO's also - love them both!

I do have to get the Who's Live at Leeds - which I've heard, but don't own yet...

I meant The Who, and you should check them out. Things like MY Generation, Baba O'Riley, etc are great.

Terry Reid is quite good. He was also a choice by Jimmy for the singer of Led Zepp. I would recommend Bang Bang and Superlungs.

Wow. I was pretty sure I'd see votes for some of my favorites - The Kinks, Pink Floyd, but - Terry Reid? Right, OK I know we're at LZ forum, but still, what a pleasant surprise.

Ironically the two songs mentioned (both covers BTW, and both superior to the originals) used to be my favorite until I heard Terry's own song Penny. It's absolutely stunning, and I love the album version, though unfortunately I cannot share here (copyright and all that jazz) so here it is live, much rougher (track #2) - see for yourself how much Terry had to do with LZ besides recommending Robert to Jimmy... talk about influences.

Wow. I was pretty sure I'd see votes for some of my favorites - The Kinks, Pink Floyd, but - Terry Reid? Right, OK I know we're at LZ forum, but still, what a pleasant surprise.

Ironically the two songs mentioned (both covers BTW, and both superior to the originals) used to be my favorite until I heard Terry's own song Penny. It's absolutely stunning, and I love the album version, though unfortunately I cannot share here (copyright and all that jazz) so here it is live, much rougher (track #2) - see for yourself how much Terry had to do with LZ besides recommending Robert to Jimmy... talk about influences.

I was actually suggesting the albums titled Bang Bang and Superlungs. Glad you like him! I actually like his old stuff better than the new. The old stuff is sooooo powerful and like you say rough as hell!

Nice find on the link! I didn't even find that.

I was actually suggesting the albums titled Bang Bang and Superlungs. Glad you like him! I actually like his old stuff better than the new. The old stuff is sooooo powerful and like you say rough as hell!

Well technically we're both incorrect. The correct song titles are: Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down) and Superlungs My Supergirl; correct album titles Bang Bang You're Terry Reid and - the one that you probably meant, because it was reissued as Superlungs in 2004 - was actually self-titled album, i.e. Terry Reid.

I agree 100% on the rough and powerful - in fact I love all the 1966-69 stuff more than what followed though most people consider Seed Of Memory (1973) his best... for me it's too mellow. BTW though Terry is 58 now, the folks who attended May/June 2008 gigs say that "the Voice is still there in all its glory"

Don't shoot me, but... Mr. Superlungs is higher on my gig wish list than even LZ...

Well technically we're both incorrect. The correct song titles are: Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down) and Superlungs My Supergirl; correct album titles Bang Bang You're Terry Reid and - the one that you probably meant, because it was reissued as Superlungs in 2004 - was actually self-titled album, i.e. Terry Reid.

I agree 100% on the rough and powerful - in fact I love all the 1966-69 stuff more than what followed though most people consider Seed Of Memory (1973) his best... for me it's too mellow. BTW though Terry is 58 now, the folks who attended May/June 2008 gigs say that "the Voice is still there in all its glory"

Don't shoot me, but... Mr. Superlungs is higher on my gig wish list than even LZ...

I just wonder what if he would have accepted to be the singer for Zepp. would they have been as big, bigger or not at all.

I'm tellin' you Bro, if you like music on the same line of Terry you should go to:

http://www.3wk.com/

I meant The Who, and you should check them out. Things like MY Generation, Baba O'Riley, etc are great.

You realize the Who are the 2nd most discussed band on this forum? Yes, they had some great songs, and the greatest bassist in rock. I've been listening to them for over 30 years, but don't actually own too many of their albums.

By the way, I wanted to mention that the soundtrack from Forrest Gump has quite a few good 60's variety - as well as a few good 50's and 70's songs. Whoever thought to put in Duanne Eddy's "Rebel Rouser" as one of the first songs is an absolute genius!

Archived