Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Smithy

Any one from Australia

In Victoria where I am, it's just as often freezing cold as it is boiling hot, it's ridiculous.

And yippee, here comes bushfire season. For the past 5 summers, our sky has been full of smoke. :(

Yeah, one thing I remember about Victoria is that it can be sunny one minute and hailing the next. No offence, but we kind of have a joke about Victorian weather over here, as I'm sure the rest of the country does too :P .

Don't worry, at least it's not dry. Coming from the driest state on earth, sometimes I think you're kind of lucky to have rain.

..but yes, the weather is beautiful here :D . To those from the UK and other cold countries; just think about how jealous we are of your snow!! Is sunshine almost all year 'round worth not getting snow?

To those from the UK and other cold countries; just think about how jealous we are of your snow!! Is sunshine almost all year 'round worth not getting snow?

Well, the U.K isn't really a 'cold' country. We have the mildest winters of northern Europe. It's the Gulf Stream. It keeps the temps quite mild.

And as for snow.........I don't know what that is anymore. Southern England doesn't get real winters and hasn't for over 2 decades. I haven't seen proper snow here for 16 years. Last time was '91.

But isn't that part of the fun and interest of travel and moving abroad etc? To experience and take in the differences?

Don't get me wrong..........I love travelling otherwise I wouldn't have accepted the post thru Sydney University...but I know that many young people (younger than me !!) absolutely do not like the hassle of getting on planes, airport life, etc. I say they don't know what they're missing :)

LEDZEPbandnearLZairplaneinairport.jpg

The national population is approximately 21 million (just for comparison; the population of the USA is almost 303 million & the UK has 60 million)

21 million.....That's about 14 million less than lives in the state of California. :blink:

Well, the U.K isn't really a 'cold' country. We have the mildest winters of northern Europe. It's the Gulf Stream. It keeps the temps quite mild.

And as for snow.........I don't know what that is anymore. Southern England doesn't get real winters and hasn't for over 2 decades. I haven't seen proper snow here for 16 years. Last time was '91.

Wow. I certainly have a misconception there, thinking that every Winter was covered in snow in the UK. Sorry for assuming that, I guess that's not just how it's played in the media. And when I say that the the UK is cold, I really mean that it's just colder than what I'm used to, which I think is understandable. It's just that last Summer it was on the headlining news (here) that there were consecutive days over 30 degrees in England, so I assumed it wasn't very common :lol:

Anyone know when we're next playing England in the cricket? I'm looking forward to that :rolleyes:

Wow. I certainly have a misconception there, thinking that every Winter was covered in snow in the UK. Sorry for assuming that, I guess that's not just how it's played in the media. And when I say that the the UK is cold, I really mean that it's just colder than what I'm used to, which I think is understandable. It's just that last Summer it was on the headlining news (here) that there were consecutive days over 30 degrees in England, so I assumed it wasn't very common :lol:

Anyone know when we're next playing England in the cricket? I'm looking forward to that :rolleyes:

Sorry, I'm a trueblue but I like livelier sports like Formula One racing.........viva Moffat, Brock, Alan Jones, Stoner, etc.!!!

gday everyone

another Aussie here :)

I live up in Brisbane (but i wish i lived in Melbourne)

im a very true blue aussie... never left the country (but ive lived in Brissie, Sydney, Newcastle, Tamworth, Gunnedah, Perth, Port Maquarie), i live for summer and the beach...

and my year is divided up into two seasons...

FOOTY AND CRICKET!!

so who do you guys barrack for? well me.... THE MIGHTY FIGHTING HAWKS!!! i get alot of shit at school cuz i dont barrack for the lions... thats because they suck :)

and in cricket i barrack for... Domestic- Western Warriors, internations... well thats just bloody obvious... AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE!!!

and Gibsongirl...

i think we are playing the poms again soon, cuz they are playing Sri Lanka at the moment... and bloody Murali broke Warnies record... grrrr... so we should get the poms soon, cuz we play India in the Boxing Day Test....

BRING ON THE POMS!!!

ahhh the Ashes were great this year,... and Hussey got to score the runs that won us the Ashes back.

and on the subject of Mike Hussey.... did you guys here that if he plays every game from now on untill the end of 2009 an scores more than 50 runs and innings... he will beat The Dons batting average!!! how good is that!

Hussey went to my primary school and lived behind my sisters best mate.

as you can see, if you get me started about sport i can never stop.

grrrr bushfire season soon....

our house backs onto the bush, and every year for the past 3 years we have been evacuated from our house. But they are saying summer wont be as hot this year, so we might not get as severe bushfires

cant wait to hear from some more Aussies.

unless you are Collingwood supporters.

then i shall not talk to you.

hehe.

only joking.

I've never left the country either!!! I quite like it here :D

Ok, I'm not that into sports but I do like to see our boys dominate in cricket. I barely can call myself a fan but I barrick for the Adelaide Crows.

Ok, I'm not that into sports but I do like to see our boys dominate in cricket. I barely can call myself a fan but I barrick for the Adelaide Crows.

oooh crows eh?

soo... im guessing you will remember the first elimination final then?

:) i certainly do.

i cried when Buddy kicked that goal with 7 seconds to go to win us the game...

:D

hahaah just warning you... i will probably give u a bit of shit about it sometimes... and when every hawks play crows :)

just saying sorry now

Merry X-Mas to my fellow members of the Australian LZ contingent. Looks like there aren't too many other people who get a Summer Christmas. Enjoy!

Merry Christmas to you all too. I'm in Sydney, but I've lived in Melbourne and Tasmania as well. So what are some of your favourite Aussie bands? I'm a bit old school. I love Died Pretty, The Saints, The Mark of Cain, The Oils, Paul Kelly, The Triffids, Divinyls, Silverchair, Crowded House (well technically they're Kiwis, but anyway) ... and of course AC/DC and CHISEL!! I shared an elevator with Mossy once. He has such an amazing voice. Oh, and I love Dave Graney and his various bands. He's a brilliant songwriter, and highly amusing. Very underrated in our country I think. :)

Edited by Cali

I know I may be a few days late, but a very Happy Australia Day to you all! :thumbsup:

How did everyone else spend theirs? Lamb barbecue in my household, as to the stereotype :D .

I know I may be a few days late, but a very Happy Australia Day to you all! :thumbsup:

How did everyone else spend theirs? Lamb barbecue in my household, as to the stereotype :D .

:D:D I love "me snags on the barbie", but this year International House in Rome threw a HUGE party for Australia Day....lots of aussie chix and flags around....it was like back in Illawarra!! :) :)

A belated Happy Australia Day to all trueblues here :)

FLYINGAUSSIEFLAG.gif

AUSTRALIANMETALlogo.jpg

Edited by dragster

Some of the best things I love about SA are the lasses there :) and the Barossa Valley.....hic!! :)

Hi FIONA......this is the type of Aussie chicks we have in OZ......I know you'll be looking on baby! :wave::cheer:

FIONAmyaussiefriend.jpg

everyones saying how great OZ is, but the one place i wanted to be a few months ago was London to see Led Zep play. :(

You're not the only one. But for every other day, I know where I'd rather be ;)

G'day

Another true blue New South Welshman here.

Fari Dinkum.

:D:D:D How are ya mate!! I'm from the S. Coast of NSW...Illawarra to be exact.....I've lived all over the place there: Oak Flats, Corrimal, Albion Park, Wollongong, Warrawong, Berkley, Dapto, Figtree....you name it, I've lived there!!! :) :). Where are you from in NSW??!

P.S. NSW, a rippa state!!!! :)

ABORIGINALSduringAustraliaDay.jpg

Edited by dragster

So I was thinking about studying abroad in either Australia or Spain for my final semester this fall. Spain would be a good cultural experience and I could be all academic to go there and try to get a Spanish minor. Or I could go to Australia and have fun. :P

Do you guys think Australia is a good place to study? I'm looking at probably going to the Brisbane area.

So I was thinking about studying abroad in either Australia or Spain for my final semester this fall. Spain would be a good cultural experience and I could be all academic to go there and try to get a Spanish minor. Or I could go to Australia and have fun. :P

Do you guys think Australia is a good place to study? I'm looking at probably going to the Brisbane area.

:D:D:D:D:) You can do both in God's Land :)......study AND have fun. There are many sites on the Net for study programs and stages in OZ. If you're thinking of going to Queensland, be sure you go visit Surfer's Paradise and the Gold Coast....it's like Cali meets Polynesia and Micronesia all rolled in one....careful of the sharks and the crocks, hehehhehehe !!! :) :)

SURFARISanthologyoftheirgreatest.jpg

Rob

Edited by dragster

Well I can only be biased, I would say come to Australia. Loads of people come here to study, it's quite diverse and still academic and we'll welcome anyone. It's a nice place and it will be Spring when you come. Of course if you want to have fun, Brisneyland is the place to go!

No i am not but i am a big fan of Ac/Dc and my man Kevin Borich.Been to Sydney back in 77 .

Hi kev remmeber the Starwood in LA you the man.Also i love AUSTRALIAN Women.

:D:D:D How are ya mate!! I'm from the S. Coast of NSW...Illawarra to be exact.....I've lived all over the place there: Oak Flats, Corrimal, Albion Park, Wollongong, Warrawong, Berkley, Dapto, Figtree....you name it, I've lived there!!! :):) . Where are you from in NSW??!

P.S. NSW, a rippa state!!!! :)

Blacktown west of Sydney.

Growing up I spent a lot of time down at Stanwell park.

I'm from Brisbane, HEAPS of foreign students here, mostly from Indonesia, China and India. Brisbane is more accessible and cheaper than Sydney or Melbourne, however I think Brisbane is more boring.

We have three major Universities here: QUT, Griffith University and Queensland University. I studied at and worked for QUT. It's the biggest Uni with 3 major campuses. QUT's reputation is in Education and Creative Industries. Griffith University has the Queensland Conservatorium of Music and the Queensland College of Art, Griffith is also the place to go for Business, Economic, Finance and Trade studies. University of Queensland is the oldest Uni and has the more posh reputation. It's the best Uni to go to for Humanities and Academia, as well as Science and Medicine.

Brisbane is probably a good place to go if you're a foreign student because it's cheaper and you'll get to be enthralled with the Australian way of life. I'm personally bored with Brisbane and would rather live in Melbourne which is more exciting than Brisbane, but less of an expensive pain-in-the-arse city like Sydney.