Does anyone still buy CDs

Dancin'Days

I like to have the hard copy of a cd rather than just the files, but the main reason i buy cds is to give my music store the business, i would hate for them to go out of business just because everyone buys stuff online. plus its always cool to look through their inventory and talk to the employees, who are always chill. anyone who does not buy cds should go to their local store and buy something, NOW!

So you live in a house the size of Buckingham Palace? You must be filthy rich. Why spend time with us blue-collar underlings?

When I was a kid living in Newport, we used to go to the Vandebuilt House and help set up tables and chairs for events they would have during the summer. They paid us pretty well for kids and let us eat lobster and clams anything on the menue. They seem like normal folks to us. They spoke to us and not down to us. I guess it's all perception and ofcourse it was 35 years ago dunno :huh:

300 plus bought cds (not including box sets, of which i have 19) about 2100 lp's, 58 8-tracks, 400 cassettes, and about 400 plus burned cds.

in vinyl, i also have a few hundred '45s and picture sleeves. i have a very deep collection of zeppelin and beatles, specializing in releases from countries other than the US.

last cd i bought was 'in rainbows' radiohead. i'll probably pick up the latest from REM this weekend.

i buy vinyl every saturday whilst i yardsale and fleamarket.

i lost a great deal of music due to the hurricane a couple of years ago, but my vinyl wasn't harmed!

i've been picking up zeppelin 8-tracks and i notice some label differences due to record club releases. when i was growing up, you could always tell a zep 8-track because the cartridge case was pink...

I have many studio CD's that I have purchased or traded with friends.

Around 500 or so.

The quality is better then a Mp3 and sometimes, you can get a used CD for much cheaper then downloaded mp3's.

mp3's are fare more covienent and I always rip my CD's to my computer so then I can sync them to my flash drive to listen to tunes in my car. My car stereo has a USB port.

CD's here are way overpriced. I mostly download music these days.

I used to visit this cosy CD bazaar near Wenceslaus Square when I was still in secondary/high school. The whole shop smelled of incense sticks and the shop assistant was a very easygoing guy with a scarf on his head and very thick glasses.

I love to buy cd's. Just sniffing around for a cool record. I have about 400 cd's.

Sometimes I get a "burned cd" from someone. (I don't burn cd's myself). If I like it a lot I will still buy it's original. Cause I still get a kick out of having the real deal.

• 2 weeks later...

When I go record shopping its like a whole day's activity. The people in most shops look at me funny after about the first hour, but who cares. You just never know what sort of gems you might find hidden in the very back of a used vinyl rack. I'm pretty much a weekly regular at an underground shop here in Detroit, where we may or may not spend hours getting high to some old vinly in the back room.

In all, I have about 200 vinlys, 350 compact discs, 25 cassettes (wow, what a horrible medium this was), and dare I say it here, over 80 live concert bootlegs (audio mostly, 50 or so of which are Led Zeppelin) in lossless digital (.flac) which I have yet to commit to discs (future project).

I've just recently gotten into vinyls, but its really hard to get any sort of collection going, me being a broke college student and all :angry:, I do have all the Zeppelin and Cream albums on vinyl though, many of which I have a few different versions of (UK/Jap/US, etc).

As for digital music, I absolutely refuse to be the one to convert things to lossy format like .mp3's or any other sort of format like that. The only reason I have an iPod is so that I have a means of playing certain music that I can't find in any other format.

Music is basically my hobby.

• 2 weeks later...

Probably have over a thousand. Haven't taken inventory lately. I don't download. I'd rather have the whole statement and the artwork than a single. I learned that from a band called Led Zeppelin. If I don't hear the mandolins of Battle of Evermore fading in after Rock and Roll, something just ain't right.

You're all welcome to your own feelings about that. But that's me, warts and all. Albums baby! Long-players with art you can actually see. Hold in your hands. There are five senses. And downloads simply have no taste, touch or smell, much less something to gaze upon whilst listening. Otherwise one might as well have sex with a dildo. What happened to gazing into someone's eyes? Scent? 3 minutes of some band's album, or the whole journey?

I'll take the journey.

Probably have over a thousand. Haven't taken inventory lately. I don't download. I'd rather have the whole statement and the artwork than a single. I learned that from a band called Led Zeppelin. If I don't hear the mandolins of Battle of Evermore fading in after Rock and Roll, something just ain't right.

You're all welcome to your own feelings about that. But that's me, warts and all. Albums baby! Long-players with art you can actually see. Hold in your hands. There are five senses. And downloads simply have no taste, touch or smell, much less something to gaze upon whilst listening. Otherwise one might as well have sex with a dildo. What happened to gazing into someone's eyes? Scent? 3 minutes of some band's album, or the whole journey?

I'll take the journey.

what he said.

i dont even own an mp3 player.........

I buy CD's whenevr possible, which is not very often considering the prices at the closest stores. I live in middle of nowhere. I usually buy CD's or order of Amazon whenever possible. I have no idea how big my collection is, since im 16...

A lot of times, if i can't find the CD i'm looking for, i'll download of iTunes, but I make a point to downlod the whole album. It's hard to find stuff like The Stooges or Hanoi Rocks in the nearest electronic's stores.

I have about 250 I think. I need to do a re-count. I would just like to know if you burn most CDs or buy them. Nowadays I burn'em, unless it's something that I really want and just happen to see it or can't wait and put it on order.

Being a Disc Jockey at several night clubs and working at Tower Records in the Sacramento and Los Angeles, California area in the 1980's and early 1990's, I managed to build my collection up to around 8,000 CD's not including Vinyl / LP's, DVD's or VHS tapes. It also does not include my 1100 CD's and Vinyl / LP's of my Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab (MFSL) collection and my 800 Bootleg CD's. I guess you can say that I own quite a bit. ROCK ON!

Archived