Dallas April 1 1977

jesusmurphy

The first night actually has a really fine tape.

I was speaking in "relative" terms. When you consider ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY THOUSAND people saw Zeppelin in the media capital of the world, and we only have what we have, it's pretty amazing.

The 6/7/77 recording is decent enough, but it's hardly a mind-blower quality-wise.

I was speaking in "relative" terms. When you consider ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY THOUSAND people saw Zeppelin in the media capital of the world, and we only have what we have, it's pretty amazing.

The 6/7/77 recording is decent enough, but it's hardly a mind-blower quality-wise.

Keep in mind there are two different sources for June 7...the "Rawhide" recording being vastly superior to the "Back To The Garden" where it sounds like a big 20,000 strong party with a little Zeppelin playing in the background. The almost complete "Over The Garden" recording for June 13 is pretty good as well...I'm tempted to say it was the same taper as "Rawhide". No, the NY '77 run doesn't have the same quality recordings as LA, but when you get right down to the nitty gritty, IMO all the NY recordings are at least passable with the exception of June 8, easily one of the WORST '77 recordings ("Second Night In The Garden"; there is a second source for June 8 that sounds better, but it is very fragmented.)

Which begs the question: what is the worst sounding '77 recording? Atlanta and the "Stormtrooper" show in Chicago (April 10) would get my vote. Along with the aforementioned June 8...

Now, you want to talk about a multi night run with a scarcity of decent recordings...that would be April 6/7/9/10 in Chicago! I'd love for a decent sounding recording for April 10th in particular to appear. As a '77 fanatic/completist I'd wanted to hear those shows for years, and when I finally got 'em I was very disappointed...

As for Dallas, just to get back on topic, it'd be nice to have, but I get the feeling that it would come across more like a live rehearsal, similar to OK City in that regard. I consider the first night in Chicago to be the first real show of the '77 tour, but YMMV.

...and, say, just while I'm thinking about it, what's this I keep hearing about a bit of the '77 St Louis show (April 15) popping up? Anybody know about it? Apparently it sounds pretty bad (it's just the acoustic set and "Kashmir") but, still, if it's ever made available, gotta have it! :P