Led Zeppelin songs in movies

Duthie

Hi all,

I have noticed that Led Zeppelin don't really like their songs being used in movies and I was wondering why they are against this. I can only think of a handful of movies that actually contain their songs and surely there must be more that want to use their songs.

Can anyone please shed some light upon this.

Thanks

I know they used kashmir on fast times at ridgemont high and LZIII is basically the soundtrack to almost famous. Can't think of any others though.

school of rock had 'immigrant song', i seem to remember an animated film with toy soldiers that used 'communication breakdown', there was, of course, the hip-hop remake of 'kashmir' in godzilla. i believe that a cd pressing sampler of zeppelin songs was manufactured and sent out to movie producers to solicit film soundtrack offers (but i wouldn't swear to that). there's a couple more films, i believe...

....i believe that a cd pressing sampler of zeppelin songs was manufactured and sent out to movie producers to solicit film soundtrack offers (but i wouldn't swear to that). there's a couple more films, i believe...

yes, this is the correct answer!

and here's the triple cd promo box (nice item indeed)

.. and yes there are more films (I'm pretty sure)

promobox.jpg

I suppose the band have always been concerned not to 'sell out', and have held back their music from films for that reason. Also, the voting system is a veto system, that is - if any one member says no, then it does not happen.

Hopefully they will mellow with age and let their music be used a little more often?

IMDB Led Zeppelin

"American Masters" (1 episode, 2007)

- Les Paul: Chasing Sound (2007) TV episode ("Communication Breakdown")

Shrek the Third (2007) (performer: "Immigrant Song")

"Druckfrisch" (1 episode, 2007)

- Episode #5.2 (2007) TV episode (performer: "D'yer mak'er")

"Shminiya, Ha-" (1 episode, 2006)

... aka The Eight (International: English title)

- Shutafey Sod (2006) TV episode (performer: "Since I've Been Loving You")

"20 to 1" (1 episode, 2006)

... aka 20 to 01 (Australia: promotional title)

- Greatest Songs of All Time (2006) TV episode (performer: "Stairway To Heaven")

"One Tree Hill" (1 episode, 2006)

- The Show Must Go On (2006) TV episode (performer: "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You")

The School of Rock (2003) (performer: "Immigrant Song")

Mayor of the Sunset Strip (2003) (performer: "Sick Again")

"Shabatot VeHagim" (1 episode, 2003)

- Air Guitar (2003) TV episode (performer: "Dazed and confused")

Jeff Buckley: Everybody Here Wants You (2002) (TV) (performer: "The Wanton Song", "Since I've Been Loving You")

True Dreams (2002) ("No Quarter")

"The Sopranos" (1 episode, 2001)

- Fortunate Son (2001) TV episode (writer: "Rock and Roll") (performer: "Rock and Roll")

Dogtown and Z-Boys (2001) (performer: "Achilles Last Stand", "Hots on for Nowhere")

Süd. Grenze (2001) (writer: "Since I've been loving you") (performer: "Since I've been loving you")

Almost Famous (2000) (performer: "That's the Way", "Misty Mountain Hop", "The Rain Song", "Bron-Y-Aur", "Tangerine")

Jeff Buckley: Fall in Light (1999) (TV) (performer: "Whole Lotta Love")

One Day in September (1999) (performer: "Immigrant Song")

Small Soldiers (1998) (performer: "Communication Breakdown")

"Beavis and Butt-Head" (1 episode, 1993)

- Kidnapped (1993) TV episode ("Over The Hills And Far Away")

Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982) (performer: "Kashmir")

Choix des armes, Le (1981) (performer: "Since I've been loving you")

Her Name Was Lisa (1979) ("Dazed And Confused")

Crabe-Tambour, Le (1977) (performer: "Kashmir")

The Song Remains the Same (1976) (performer: "Rock & Roll", "The Song Remains The Same", "Rain Song", "Dazed And Confused", "No Quarter", "Stairway To Heaven", "Moby Dick", "Black Dog", "Heart Breaker", "Since I've Been Loving You", "Bron-Yr-Aur", "Autumn Lake")

Homer (1970) (performer: "How Many More Times")

Midsummer Rock (1970) (TV) (performer: "Heartbreaker")

"Top of the Pops" (1964) TV series (unknown episodes)

... aka All New Top of the Pops (UK)

... aka TOTP

I pretty much only like epic type movies, which aren't usually too well done these days - but "Achilles Last Stand" would have been perfect for the opening scene in "Troy". I'm sure "No Quarter" would be great for a certain sword and sorcery type movie, too?

I think letting songs be used for movies is not in any way at all selling out. Unless its a typical commercial big-budget epic, letting movies use songs isn't bad.

It's lending songs to commercials that can be selling out. So far the only commercial with a Led tune were the Cadillac commercials, and that ain't bad considering the luxury of Caddy's. Now if it had been, say, a Honda...

Really, some commercials have ruined songs for me.

I think Led Zeppelin is still not commercial at all.

On another note, I think the biggest way to sell out is to change one's music to make it more commercial. (see: Aerosmith, Metallica, Aerosmith, etc.)

I pretty much only like epic type movies, which aren't usually too well done these days - but "Achilles Last Stand" would have been perfect for the opening scene in "Troy". I'm sure "No Quarter" would be great for a certain sword and sorcery type movie, too?

No Quarter scored with full orchestra would have been awesome in LOTR that is for sure.

I think letting songs be used for movies is not in any way at all selling out. Unless its a typical commercial big-budget epic, letting movies use songs isn't bad.

Indeed, all the times they've licensed their songs for movies, the context was in good taste. The Immigrant Song in Shrek was hilarious and their songs fit the theme of Almost Famous, for example.

Whoa.

VH1 is known to recreate famous riffs for background music. They change the riffs ever-so-slightly so they can pass it off as original music. For example, a slightly changed Frankenstein by Edgar Winter was on Hogan Knows Best. A changed-by-one-note Sweet Leaf was on Celebrity Fit Club.

A couple days ago they were playing 1977: the Coolest Year in hell which is a cool documentary about the blackouts in NYC that year. When they cut to the blackout they completely ripped off When The Levee Breaks. I also heard The Rover on I Love the Seventies.

There's a Plant solo song which plays during the end credits of Moonlight Mile.

There's one in Wayne's World 2 also. I didn't even notice until I saw the credits at the end. Even though the songs aren't in the movies, Led Zeppelin is mentioned ALOT in Wayne's World 1 and 2. Never realized how much until I watched both on TV the other week.

Hi all,

There is a clip on YouTube in which Ramble On was interplayed with stills from the first LOTR film,very well done,IMO.

I think the band like to pick and choose how/where their music is used,can't blame them,...

KB

A few weeks ago I saw an episode of Miami Vice and Plant's "Ship Of Fools" was used.

On the show "One Tree Hill", either a writer of director must be a big Zeppelin fan, because I recall a few of the episodes being titled after Zeppelin songs. Possibly Over The Hills...and Dazed.

Can anyone confirm this as well?

• 3 years later...

It seems like they're increasingly more willing to allow their music to be used in movies and TV shows now. I think that's a good thing. Dazed & Confused was a great movie, but Led Zeppelin songs in the movie would have made it a bit better, I think. Jimmy Page agreed to allow their music to be used in the movie, but Robert Plant vetoed it. But, I think these days it would have been allowed. In The Fighter, Good Times Bad Times was played while Christian Bale's character was being chased by cops. I think allowing their music to be used helps keep them relevant and educates young potential fans. I'm glad that all the members are starting to see that now.

Archived