Portishead To Release Third Album On March 31

Jahfin

http://www.gigwise.com/news/39031/portishe...bum-on-march-31

00010035_PORTISHEAD.jpg

by Scott Colothan

A release date has been set for Portishead’s eagerly anticipated third album.

The as-yet-untitled release will be with us on March 31, according to a release schedule Gigwise has seen from Island Records.

As previously reported, the band finished recording the album at the end of October and have spent recent weeks mastering it.

When the album finally sees the light of day, it will be the much lauded outfit’s first release in a decade, following 1994’s ‘Dummy’ and their eponymous second album in 1998.

Meanwhile, Geoff Barrow, Beth Gibbons and Adrian Utley are curating All Tomorrows Parties’ Nightmare Before Christmas in Minehead from December 7-9, featuring the likes of Ladytron, Black Mountain, Autolux, Julian Cope and Malcolm Middleton.

Dang...I just saw this before it slipped to pg. 2 !

I LOVE Portishead and list them in my top 10 of 90s bands, and with only 2 studio and 1 live album to their credit. I'll be the first in line when this one's released !!!!!

Sure is gonna take a long time to come out...it's been done and remastered already ? 4 more months ?!!??!!! :huh:

Sitting here in my coffeeshop and I hear what sounds like Beth Gibbons's voice over the sound system...hmmmmm...

I just asked the barista about it and he indeed said it WAS off the new Portishead ! He was streaming the local Vanderbilt radio....WRVU 91.1

So yay !!! I've heard it now.....bring it on !!!!!!!!!!

The tune I heard was called...Seven Months

Sitting here in my coffeeshop and I hear what sounds like Beth Gibbons's voice over the sound system...hmmmmm...

I just asked the barista about it and he indeed said it WAS off the new Portishead ! He was streaming the local Vanderbilt radio....WRVU 91.1

So yay !!! I've heard it now.....bring it on !!!!!!!!!!

The tune I heard was called...Seven Months

Kewl. How was it?

Kewl. How was it?

It was distant...the sound. I mean, I didn't hear it fully...so I can't say more than I recognized Beth's voice and yes...that was good...hard to hear the music....

maybe you can listen to an archive....here's a link.....I should go to it too....

http://wrvu.org/

there's a stream link there....

they also just played Sonic Youth's... StreamXsonic Subway offa...NYC Ghosts & Flowers

Here...this should be the direct link to what they've just played...

http://129.59.202.44/playlistarchive/current_playlist.php

It was distant...the sound. I mean, I didn't hear it fully...so I can't say more than I recognized Beth's voice and yes...that was good...hard to hear the music....

maybe you can listen to an archive....here's a link.....I should go to it too....

http://wrvu.org/

there's a stream link there....

they also just played Sonic Youth's... StreamXsonic Subway offa...NYC Ghosts & Flowers

Here...this should be the direct link to what they've just played...

http://129.59.202.44/playlistarchive/current_playlist.php

Ha. Well thanks. But I was just curious. I'm not frothing at the mouth to hear it or anything. ;)

Geoff Barrow, Adrian Utley, Beth Gibbons and maybe The Strange Sensation drummer, Clive Deamer.

I'll be seeing their one-off post atp show here in Bristol on Saturday,at The Academy. Tickets sold out very quickly.Queued up for what turned out to be over 3 hours to get 2 tickets. I guess this is a very small compensation for not going to the O2 tonight.Doesn't really make up for it, but I'm sure they'll be good.

You're right, Joelmon, the wait was ok,considering it's a home-town show for them. Don't think there's anywhere in Portishead itself that's big enough for them to play.The members of the band may well not be from there so Bristol is the homecoming show,really. If I remember I'll post a bat-review and possibly a bat-set-list at some point on Sunday. Must admit,the new songs came as a bit of a surprise. This show is supposed to feature new material so we'll see how many are actually ready for live airings.

Not exactly the most productive or fast-working of bands....

Take care,BatJoel and I'll tune in to this channel at the weekend, memory permitting!!

Damn. The new songs are actually very good. Especially "Peaches" and "Machine Gun". The other one...not so much. They've moved away from the jazz-esque style they had before and now sound like a more accessible Einsturzende Neubaten(!).

After hearing this my anticipation for the new album has been kicked up a notch.

Ok. as promised, here are my thoughts on the Portishead concert in Bristol last night. This isn't really a review, more a series of observations, comments and recollections. The concert turned out to be the centre-piece of a long night leading into an early morning, so some things may be a little vague.

The band came on at 9.30,pretty much on time, which was a good sign. First impressions of the new material generally- more percussion than usual and a lot of what sounded like old analog synth bleeps and noises. Less space around Beth's voice on the new songs . Indeed, the old spacious,uncluttered Portishead sound that framed and presented her voice really well was absent for most of the show. Even old tunes were harder and noisier than of old. One exception was 'Wanderin' Star with Beth and Adrian Utley seated mid-stage. This was exquisite and performed in near-silence,with a big ovation at the end. 'Cowboys' was the last song of the main set, before 1 encore of 2 songs.This is probably my personal favourite P'head tune and it was more aggressive than usual with plenty of guitar and keyboard noise washing around the mix. The band's sound has toughened up somewhat, in an entirely good way, giving Beth something to sing against and through at times rather than setting her voice in lots of space to ensure maximum clarity. As I often find , the band could have been louder,although the actual mix was well-balanced.

Quick word about the excellent Clive Deamer, who drummed in a precise and controlled way all through and shared percussion with Geoff Barrow on a couple of new pieces. His fellow Starnge Sensation-ist,John Baggott was present on keyboards.Adrian Utley, JB,GB and the second guitarist/bassist[ don't know his name,sorry] all played keyboards at one point or another,mainly adding layers of noise or repetitive loops and swirls to a track.

Good use of three video screens as backdrops with lots of treated images and film of the band as they played as well as strange animation and short film clips. Glory box, roads[i think..]mysterons and sour times all featured in a set that was about an hour and a quarter/hour and twenty minutes long.Very good 'home crowd' reaction ,although there were people still wandering around as if they'd just arrived halfway through the set!

That's all for now, folks.Sorry if it's bitty and rambling. It was a long night...

never heard of this band.

Plant is a big supporter. Plant's band The Strange Sensation also counts John Baggott of Poritishead among it's members. During the first Page and Plant tour, the show I attended at the Omni in Atlanta featured house music by Portishead.

Plant is a big supporter. Plant's band The Strange Sensation also counts John Baggott of Poritishead among it's members. During the first Page and Plant tour, the show I attended at the Omni in Atlanta featured house music by Portishead.

I can't say that I've heard of this band either,Kyna said that she has.I watched that video and found it to be a bit strange but very likable (smooth)

I saw Page and Plant in Orlando 95 and I don't (remember) that?

I can't say that I've heard of this band either,Kyna said that she has.I watched that video and found it to be a bit strange but very likable (smooth)

I don't own any of their records but I've always enjoyed most everything I've heard by them.

I saw Page and Plant in Orlando 95 and I don't (remember) that?

Portishead may not have been the house music for every show. Back when I saw Plant on the Now and Zen Tour at the Dean Dome in Chapel Hill the house music was R.E.M.'s Life's Rich Pagent. I always thought that was pretty damn cool.

• 1 month later...

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/articl...t_id=1003701158

Portishead Names, Sets Date for New Album

gibbons_beth_01l.gif

Beth Gibbons

Portishead will release its new album, christened "Third," on April 14 internationally via Island (U.S. details are pending). The 11-track set will be the British trip-hop act's first studio release since a 1997 self-titled set.

As reported Monday, the band will co-headliner the Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival in late April, which will be the trio's first show in America in nearly a decade.

Beforehand, Portishead will play a slew of European dates, beginning March 26 in Portugal. Additionally, the trio will take the stage at Barcelona's Primavera Sound festival on May 29. All dates are listed on the band's Web site.

Comprising Beth Gibbons, Adrian Utley and Geoff Barrow, Portishead went on hiatus to pursue other projects after releasing "Portishead." The group re-emerged in 2005 for a tsunami benefit concert in Bristol, England, and also curated the U.K.'s All Tomorrow's Parties festival in December.

The aptly named "Third" will be the group's third studio effort. The self-titled effort peaked at No. 21 on The Billboard 200, while 1995's "Dummy" topped out at No. 79. Combined, the band has sold more than 2 million albums in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

• 5 weeks later...

Portishead Relaunching At Coachella

portishead_01l.gif

Portishead

Lars Brandle, London

Out in the California desert, the Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival is fast becoming an oasis for high-profile reunions.

The Jesus and Mary Chain, the Pixies, Rage Against the Machine, Gang of Four and Bauhaus are just a handful of the acts who've come back to life at the Indio, Calif.-based event in recent years.

You can read the remainder of the article here:

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/articl...t_id=1003714458

Archived