Uriah Heep, Thin Lizzy, Triumph pay tribute to Jimmy Page

painergrey

Well there certainly were a few missing from that list, Duane Allman, Johnny Winter, Alvin Lee to name three of the top of my head. Polls are polls though. Just my opinion

Some nice comments about Jimmy but this list is a joke IMO. Jimmy is ranked #6 with Yngwie J. Malmsteen, Randy Rhoads and Ritchie Blackmore ahead of him. Eric Clapton @#23, SRV @#30 and Alex Lifeson @#34. I know that these lists are a matter of opinion but this is way out there. :blink:

This topic was actually about the tribute to Jimmy Page. :unsure:

This poll was organized by a Brazilian mag which asked 330 guitarists which were their favorite-guitarists of all time.

I like the list. The positions are just a matter of how many votes the guitarists' gotten. It doesn't matter much. The list is pretty solid. Way better than anything I've seen on Rolling Stone, for instance.

You can't name them in a row with Page, Blackmore, Beck, Petrucci, Gilbert etc......

Better than Gibbons, Young, Gallagher and Santana (not necessarily in that order).

In your dreams.

Yeah prolific musicians aren't they and have contributed more than these guys?

Hey guys,

there's a new feature on Norway's Imhotep in which Mick Box (Uriah Heep), Eric Bell (ex-Thin Lizzy), and Rik Emmett (Triumph) talk about Jimmy Page in a very special tribute to him.

Eric Bell tells a very good story on Jimmy Page and their words about him are just amazing. There are the quotes:

RIK EMMETT, MICK BOX & ERIC BELL TALK JIMMY PAGE

Classic, uriah heep "stealin"when i should should have been buying. ;)

Better than Gibbons, Young, Gallagher and Santana (not necessarily in that order).

In your dreams.

Yeah prolific musicians aren't they and have contributed more than these guys?

Love Neil Young as a singer, writer and performer, but as a guitar player in league with the rest of that list? Wow, I don't think so.

Love Neil Young as a singer, writer and performer, but as a guitar player in league with the rest of that list? Wow, I don't think so.

Listen to anything from Buffalo Springfield to Live Rust and tell me he can't hold his own against any of the others.

He can't be too bad if JP, RP & JPJ thought he was good enough to jam on When The Levee Breaks at the Atlantic 40th bash.

There's more to playing guitar than just screaming solo's.

Listen to anything from Buffalo Springfield to Live Rust and tell me he can't hold his own against any of the others.

He can't be too bad if JP, RP & JPJ thought he was good enough to jam on When The Levee Breaks at the Atlantic 40th bash.

There's more to playing guitar than just screaming solo's.

The only guitarist they got right in the top ten was number one. And, Jimmy should have been number 2, and that's just because Hendrix didn't live long enough to prove he was human. I love Deep Purple and Ritchie Blackmore, but c'mon... Smoke on the Water and Highway Star rock, but they are pretty simple by comparison to something like Achilles Last Stand. Van Halen could work a fret better than anyone, but he is ranked too high.

Zeppelin is like Rock meets Mozart in terms of the sheer number of notes, how dynamic it is and how space is filled with complicated melody that comes together like molecular fusion to make perfect sense. THAT is ALL Jimmy Page. People can argue that he was sloppy when he did heroin and had more than his share of off nights. But, when he is on, Jimmy Page blows every living guitarist out of the water. I have lived long enough and heard enough music to believe in that.

Archived