Is classic rock really all that classic?

ArmsofAtlas

Oh, you mean Pearl Jam and the other 50 bands that sound just like them? Including Soundgarden and Tool!

^^^ Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and Tool sound no more alike than Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, and Rush.

Nobody sounds like PJ, to my knowledge. There were a bunch of people that tried to cop their sound and shined it up nice for the mainstream, though. It's the equivalent of Billy Squier, Whitesnake, or Tesla takin Zeppelin's sound, knowing that it sells, and basically re-hashing it.

I think your post shows that you haven't even given much newer music a chance.

No, but when I say shit music, that is the kinda stuff I mean.

When I say the greats, I mean stuff on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Now there's nothing wrong with listening some Boston now and again, it just seems like alotta bands are viewed as great just b/c they are from the classic rock era. I am referring to the more middle ground bands.

Here's an example: Lynyrd Skynyrd was a great band, live and studio, but did they really put out more than a couple really good albums? They are viewed as one of the greatest bands ever. I love me some Skynyrd but on my scale of rockin-ness they can't compare to alotta newer bands.

Well, IMO the classic rock bands, each, had their own style and the newer bands all tend to try to copy each other. When a song came on the radio in the 70's you new what band, what song and what album it was on. The new stuff, to me, sounds like it is a never ending album from the same band. I own a couple of Pearl Jam and Soundgarden CDs and I actually like a couple of their songs but, if you listen to the whole CD it becomes very generic vary fast. Tool has a little different voice sound but when they start jamming, boom, there it is again the same rhythm as the rest of them. But that is my opinion and I won't call the nut farm if you don't agree.

Well, IMO the classic rock bands, each, had their own style and the newer bands all tend to try to copy each other. When a song came on the radio in the 70's you new what band, what song and what album it was on. The new stuff, to me, sounds like it is a never ending album from the same band. I own a couple of Pearl Jam and Soundgarden CDs and I actually like a couple of their songs but, if you listen to the whole CD it becomes very generic vary fast. Tool has a little different voice sound but when they start jamming, boom, there it is again the same rhythm as the rest of them. But that is my opinion and I won't call the nut farm if you don't agree.

Oh! Am I in the wrong place?! I thought I was already here! :lol:

Toto, are we still in Kansas? Oooops ......wrong planet! :D

We ARE on Venus aren't we?! I'm known to be geographically and directionally challenged Don't tell me I'm planetary challenged TOO! :rolleyes: God, ya learn somethin new about yerself every day!

We ARE on Venus aren't we?! I'm known to be geographically and directionally challenged Don't tell me I'm planetary challenged TOO! :rolleyes: God, ya learn somethin new about yerself every day!

Men are not geographically or directionally challenged! That's why we never need to ask directions and are "never late" B). No it's Mars all the way! :whistling:

Men are not geographically or directionally challenged! That's why we never need to ask directions and are "never late" B). No it's Mars all the way! :whistling:

Ahahaha! See? That's why I choose to live in an alternate reality. I'm the happiest person you'll ever know! I live in my own world :rolleyes:

It's the equivalent of Billy Squier, Whitesnake, or Tesla takin Zeppelin's sound, knowing that it sells, and basically re-hashing it.

You're exactly right, there. But you're really digging at the bottom of the "classic" barrel, and comparing it to what you consider the best of the newer music. You did mention Skynyrd, and acknowledged they're pretty good, how about a few more middle of the road classic groups - to get a better feel of what we're comparing?

I have some good pills (prescribed of course) to keep me smiling! Who needs reality?

Yes, I have a very considerate doctor as well. Reality sux....that's why I make my own reality. In all seriousness though...with or without a mothers little helper if you see the glass as half full, it is...reality is perception and you CAN change perception! :D

And this isn't the thread for it but I'm a firm believer in Magick, I practice it every day.

Back to classic rock.....CCR, Doobie Brothers, Skynard, Allman Brothers, Stevie Ray Vauhan, Cream, Hendrix, Aerosmith (early days), BTO, Any group with Paul Rogers, Pink Floyd, geez, I could keep typing all day long!

Yes, I have a very considerate doctor as well. Reality sux....that's why I make my own reality. In all seriousness though...with or without a mothers little helper if you see the glass as half full, it is...reality is perception and you CAN change perception! :D

And this isn't the thread for it but I'm a firm believer in Magick, I practice it every day.

Back to classic rock.....CCR, Doobie Brothers, Skynard, Allman Brothers, Stevie Ray Vauhan, Cream, Hendrix, Aerosmith (early days), BTO, Any group with Paul Rogers, Pink Floyd, geez, I could keep typing all day long!

Hmmm.....good taste in music and magick to boot..... wow your Man is a lucky guy! You will have to elaborate on the magick sometime. You should make a thread on it.

^^^ Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and Tool sound no more alike than Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, and Rush.

Nobody sounds like PJ, to my knowledge. There were a bunch of people that tried to cop their sound and shined it up nice for the mainstream, though. It's the equivalent of Billy Squier, Whitesnake, or Tesla takin Zeppelin's sound, knowing that it sells, and basically re-hashing it.

I think your post shows that you haven't even given much newer music a chance.

That' is the point......they did not try it.

And I have given new music more than enough chances.....I just don't care for it. I like jazz, blues, Motown, soul depending on what it is and a few new songs. Oh.....I think country sucks big time but there are a few songs that I think aren't half bad. I am old enough to know what I like and what dislike!

I hear alotta people say that new music isn't as good as old music. I just don't find that to be true.

Popular music was definitely better back then, but that's not what is up for argument.

IMO you have the true greats of every era, and the "classic rock" era had quite a few of the best of all time, but aside from that, the music is pretty bland for people that aren't into really bluesy music.

I like about every form of rock and roll and I feel that overall, the last 20-25 years is much better than the 20-25 years before it, goin back to 65 or so.

Thoughts? Opinions?

I grew up with music from the 90's. He heard Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, Creed, Soundgarden, etc.. In 2006 begun to hear new groups (new for me, classics for history) as Pink Floyd, Aerosmith, The Doors, Led Zeppelin (thanks to my brother who told me to hear "Hey Hey What Can I Do") more about Eric Clapton, etc. ... I felt I was listening to the best music, and so it was.

I think the classic rock and roll and blues will not be overtaken by the new.

I'd say '65 to '75 was rock's Golden Decade and much of what was released and performed after pales in comparison.

I think the true test of a piece of music being "classic" is for how long after it was released was it considered popular or at least held in high regard? For example,

Elvis Presley's 'Heartbreak Hotel' still meets this criteria roughly 50 years later,

whereas MC Hammer's 'Too Legit to Quit' is neither. I find it fascinating so much

60s music remains popular four decades later. I know it has much to do with the

baby boomers and the overwhelming accessibility/availability of that music, even

so it's unpredented. I believe several of those songs will still be considered classics

150 years from now but I doubt very much from the last 20 years will be.

Agree...

Hmmm.....good taste in music and magick to boot..... wow your Man is a lucky guy! You will have to elaborate on the magick sometime. You should make a thread on it.

Why thanks DD! He could have it worse, that's for sure, but I'm no Angel :rolleyes: Believe me though, he is never bored.

Ahhhh, a Magick thread! I would love that! But then...all the egos come in and WHO's more powerful and who knows more and :blahblah: I have practiced ceremonial magic and was trained to be a Priestess but....too many freaks, I practice solitary Magick now and given my teacher died before I was formally initiated as a Priestess I would just feel funny filling that role. (though many do! They read a few books, pick up a wand and start a coven) It's a lot of work too....I prefer simple magic now....I think in my next life I will probably advance further. I just try to spread as much light as I can in this one. My Yoga is my centering force for me.

Peace to you my Friend!

all the egos come in and WHO's more powerful and who knows more and :blahblah:

How do you resolve that - wave wands at each other?

I'd be more into femdom stuff - this way there's no questioning who's more powerful?!?!?!

How do you resolve that - wave wands at each other?

I'd be more into femdom stuff - this way there's no questioning who's more powerful?!?!?!

I'll leave waving wands at each other to the men :rolleyes:

Archived