What is Robert trying to do?

yes ... great reply ,finally someone who is in touch with real life ...

Robert has already done the greatest hits tour with Jimmy in the 90's , now he wants to move on to new material (whoever it is with) let the guy express his art ..... .

New material is always refreshing/invigorating to hear from Robert .but the question of not playing with led zeppelin ,but covering led zeppelin songs while on this tour with Alison will always be the question. :unsure:

New material is always refreshing/invigorating to hear from Robert .but the question of not playing with led zeppelin ,but covering led zeppelin songs while on this tour with Alison will always be the question. :unsure:

Why? No one questioned Jimmy when he played Zep songs on tour with the Black Crowes. I don't get why Robert isn't "allowed" to but Jimmy can. :rolleyes: Last I checked, his name is listed under songwriting credits too.

If you go see a Krauss/Plant show youll know exactly what he is trying to do... make GREAT music and have fun along the way. This is just my opinion but I think Robert has always had a soft spot in his heart for female folk/bluegrass singers (ex. Joni Mitchell) and now he is making music with one of the best. I really like the Plant/Krauss pairing and I hope they do make another album and tour again.

When Jimmy played with the Crows the LZ songs sounded like LZ. When Robert now sings many of the old LZ classics they are changed. Many do not understand that.

They didn't sound completely like Zeppelin when Plant toured with Page in the 90's till they went down to the four piece band.

When Jimmy played with the Crows the LZ songs sounded like LZ. When Robert now sings many of the old LZ classics they are changed. Many do not understand that.

Robert isn't about doing the same thing the same way. He seems to rearrange the Zep tunes as well as his own solo songs to fit whatever it is he's doing. For example, 29 Palms with Strange Sensation last year had a real dark, slow haunting feel. Much different than the original. Same with the Zep tunes.

Why? No one questioned Jimmy when he played Zep songs on tour with the Black Crowes. I don't get why Robert isn't "allowed" to but Jimmy can. :rolleyes: Last I checked, his name is listed under songwriting credits too.

That"s the point (finally)jimmy can play the songs as he likes with who he likes but in the style of which he plays them with led zeppelin .......(Robert) REARRANGED the songs even though they are the old songs by his old band (which he wants to move on from) :cheer: (Can you get the point yet) why would Robert want to be even singing these songs if he wants to move forward from the past. :hysterical: why .why why.forget about the old zeppelin songs and for the name of god move on.cheers

That"s the point (finally)jimmy can play the songs as he likes with who he likes but in the style of which he plays them with led zeppelin .......(Robert) REARRANGED the songs even though they are the old songs by his old band (which he wants to move on from) :cheer: (Can you get the point yet) why would Robert want to be even singing these songs if he wants to move forward from the past. :hysterical: why .why why.forget about the old zeppelin songs and for the name of god move on.cheers

Damned if he does damned if he doesn't by some when it comes to the Zep tunes.

i remember in the 80's that when Plant was doing his forst tours as a solo artist ( as such) people wanted Zep tunes and there were some gripes that he didn't. You have to bear inmind that Robert did say back in 83 that he would never play Zep songs live in his set. I thought that was ambitious but this was whilsthe was having to find his feet more as a songwriter front man in his own right.

Then when he started doing them later some wanted more zep than his stuff.

They weren't really reworked much if at all but people moaned becuase they wanted Jimmy on guitar and not Doug Boyle ( who by the way is a great guitarist and a really nice guy)

Some then moaned about the Egyptian orchestra reworkings of Zep tunes with P&P, but they missed the point because it wasn't a new idea ( Bombay orchestra 1972), some just wanted pure out and out in your face Zep. I really got the orchestra :) It brought soemthing new and exciting to the sound.

The 98 P&P tour was more of the original Zep sound but it still wasn't Zeppelin. And poeople would go to the bar when Walking into Clarkesdale songs were played cos it wasn't really what some wanted even if they liked the album or not. It has to be Zep or nothing for some, which is fine but theproblem is they don't get just Zep and for me some need to open their ears and minds a bit more.

Robert and Jimmy and Jonesy have all done Zep stuff since, if you want radical reworkings then Jonesy wins even above Roberts different interpretations in the past 2 incarnations of touring with Strange Sensation and AK.

The one with AK still takes getting used to and I know there are some devout fans who struggle with it. Not heard of anyone struggling with Black country woman and Battle of evermore though cos they are damn fine live with AK.

When Jimmy played with the Crowes i struggled with Chris Robinsons voice cos t his was full on Zep tunes withut Robert and he really is the onlyone who can sing them for me. But i wanted to see jimmy up there playing and he played well which was so good to see and hear.

I don't believe it is as sacriligious as some when they are reworked, you either like them or you don't but its up to the guys to decide how they want to play them. Trying to be a Zep purist will disappoint cos the band is no more.

I want a Zep tour even if there isn't a new album as long as the guys have their hearts in it and enjoy it. I don't want to see a Zep circus where the main reason is money or fame ( they don't seem to need either) and they just go through the motions.

Attacking one of the 4 protagonists isn't the answer, the guyshave to want to do it and whatever you think of him Robert has always done things his own way as frustarting as it has been and can be for us.

Personally I want to see Jimmy do something if that includes Jonesy and Jason then bring it on even more but lets not have them sit around waiting in the hope that Robert will agree. He has not said no anywhere so far. If he definitely doesn't ever want to get back with them then he needs to say so and then everyone can move on, but as long as he avoids the question then it remains a possibility.

It's as frustrating as fuck waiting I know and i wish he would make a decision one way or the other.

There are some here who would class me as a Plant apologist but its more of me believing he has the right to choose and hasn't deserved the lambasting he has recieved from some, but i understand their frustrations even if i disagree with how they go about stating them. I also agree that his sometimes cryptic and dismissive comments riles people, I am sure he knows that too. I understand that cos it's the way i am with people at times and it winds them up a treat when i don't give straight answers.

Who knows something might come up that will knock us all sideways. You can never tell with Led Zeppelin :D Thats why I am still around nearly 40 years down the line. You never know what you are going to get.

That's not my point at all. Jimmy HAS played those songs without Robert - Black Crowes tour for one thing. My point is all of them have the right to perform those songs without each other in any manner they see fit. I personally had a hard time with the Black Crowes tour but I'm not going to criticise Jimmy for it. It was good to see him out and about playing. I agree with ledded in that for me, it's hard to hear anyone but Robert sing those songs. Robert sings those songs because they're part of his repetoire.

I dont' know where you and others get this notion Robert wants to dismiss everything about Zep. That's just not the case nor is it the impression I've ever gotten. I've always thought him to be very very proud of the band. What he has done though is forged a career on his own when they decided in 1980 to disband. The frustration for him lies in the fact that he's out there promoting something current and people are bringing up Zep which has nothing to do with what he's doing at the moment. That doesn't mean he hates the band. He's annoyed at the question. Huge difference. Further to that, Robert (like Zep themselves) is about "what's next". He's got a huge desire for exploration of music and if he's done something, likely he wants to do something else. I think that's a pretty cool trait for someone how's been doing this 40 years to still have that curiosity. As much as I relate to wanting to see them again, I'd not want it to be just for the sake of doing it. It'd have to be for the right reasons for THEM. But if they don't, I'm certainly not waving the anti-Robert flag like so many.

There are LZ fans out there that have listened to LZ for 30+ years and that is still just about all that they listen too. Nothing else has even come close to them. Because each album was so different they never get tired, just switch to another LZ album. They may like Robert personally but have never gotten into any of his solo work except for a couple of songs. And to me, those do not even qualify when compared to LZ. I know, because I am one of these fans. Robert can do what ever he wants, that's fine with me. If he never tours with LZ again, no big deal. I do wonder though, what he thinks about a fan like myself that truly only likes his work with LZ.

I adore LZ, but I still think that's really sad.

There are LZ fans out there that have listened to LZ for 30+ years and that is still just about all that they listen too. Nothing else has even come close to them. Because each album was so different they never get tired, just switch to another LZ album. They may like Robert personally but have never gotten into any of his solo work except for a couple of songs. And to me, those do not even qualify when compared to LZ. I know, because I am one of these fans. Robert can do what ever he wants, that's fine with me. If he never tours with LZ again, no big deal. I do wonder though, what he thinks about a fan like myself that truly only likes his work with LZ.

Well, this is a piece from a interview of Robert on July 20, 2008, by BEVERLY KEEL, and I think it would be a suitable answer to your question.

"I appreciate what people feel," he said, "and in a way they might be justified, but how does one go about giving everybody everywhere what they want? Because everybody wants a different angle of it all. So I think what I'm doing now is the best way for people to know who I am. I think that the six or seven other Robert Plants are going to have to wait."

I spoke with a member of Alison's band at a function here in Nashville and they are planning to resume work with Alison in January or early Feb. And he also said Robert is very aware of public opinion and that Robert's kids and grandkids read the message boards and pass along some of the thread titles for his amusement. He advised patience for both fan bases (US and LZ). Enjoy the precious present, and least you can get tickets to this gig.

Led Zep is one of my favorite bands but it's not all I listen to by any stretch of the imagination. But I also have discovered tons of other bands that I absolutely love and listen to all the time. For me it's not about whether any of them are as good or better than Zep or any other band for that matter. It's just about whether I find them enjoyable to listen to.

I would say the same thing for Robert's solo music. It's not necessary to compare it to Zep because you can't. He isn't trying to recreate what Zep was about except the spirit and energy of them always pushing the envelope and doing different things I'd say is still very much alive in Robert. I like what he's done on his own. Some works better for me than others but I do respect the fact he's not resting on his past.

With Robert realizing and expressing to Beverly Keel that he has 7 or so different Robert's, he understands there are fans who focus on particular aspects of his career. If he can do it, other fans should be able to accept that without calling it sad.

The only sad thing is they'll have to wait.

Hopefully their wish will come before it's too late. :)

What is Plant still whinging about Zeppelin fans? I haven't been following his current goings on.

The Krauss collaboration is a total snore.

It's just a load of cover tunes most of which have been done better by other artists.

Of course he's entitled to do whatever he wants & I'm entitled to find it boring. He's not a bloody god.

I'm off to see Van Morrison. Now there is a singer worth who has endured very well!

Perhaps Plant can't come up with new original tunes anymore.

What is Plant still whinging about Zeppelin fans?

I haven't been following his current goings on.

Of course he's entitled to do whatever he wants

& I'm entitled to find it boring.

He's not a bloody god.

I'm off to see Van Morrison. Now there is a singer worth who has endured very well!

:beer: let me put you in the picture here Bronwyn, and I'm no expert, but :

1) I've never heard Robert 'whinge' about Zeppelin fans - Robert doesn't do 'whinge'.

2) his latest 'goings on' - TONIGHT ! doing a Zeppelin song if you please ! (Battle Of Evermore). It was a privilege to be there let me tell you.

3) you're right there, indeed he is.

4) that IS your right.

5) a helluva lot of people would argue he is ABSOLUTELY a Rock God, or else who the hell is ?

6) Enjoy your gig. VM certainly has endured ...... as has Robert - I witnessed it myself tonight, at his 'guest appearance'. NEVER SOUNDED BETTER, IMO.

:beer: let me put you in the picture here Bronwyn, and I'm no expert, but :

1) I've never heard Robert 'whinge' about Zeppelin fans - Robert doesn't do 'whinge'.

2) his latest 'goings on' - TONIGHT ! doing a Zeppelin song if you please ! (Battle Of Evermore). It was a privilege to be there let me tell you.

3) you're right there, indeed he is.

4) that IS your right.

5) a helluva lot of people would argue he is ABSOLUTELY a Rock God, or else who the hell is ?

6) Enjoy your gig. VM certainly has endured ...... as has Robert - I witnessed it myself tonight, at his 'guest appearance'. NEVER SOUNDED BETTER, IMO.

What guest appearance was that, then, O lucky one?

Never mind--just read t'other thread. What a great night! :D

What guest appearance was that, then, O lucky one?

Never mind--just read t'other thread. What a great night! :D

:beer: and the size of the audience was..... 300 ! but we didn't "dine in hell", thankfully.

I am indebted to one of our fellow members for giving me the news a few weeks ago, and getting me the ticket also.

A small village hall venue, to raise funds for the local community - geat work Fairport, and of course Robert, for being behind it .... in some way .... allegedly. :D

Archived