Billy Joel

jimmie ray

There sure is some hoopla over Billy Joel playing Shea stadium tomorrow. He's added a big orchestra section to his lameass band, and promises for it to be as big as when the Beatles played there in 1965. This guy has been a thorn in my side for over 30 years. He made himself popular in this area by injecting various local town names into each song, so that Escalade driving phonies can get off on hearing their hometown mentioned repeatedly on the radio. He's so revered here, for such inspirational lyrics as "so you stay at home, and masterbate", and "they found your father, dead in the swimming pool". And who the fuck buys their paintings at Sears?

Does this guy exist outside of New York, or am I solely being tortured by him???

Lay off Billy. He's way better then shitty ABBA, he's an amazing piano player, and he has the greatest quote EVER..."Rock & Roll died the day John Bonham did." That alone makes him cool in my book!

P.S. Hey Jimmy Ray...you seem to hate everybody. WHO DO YOU LIKE? :D

I guess he was talking about Bonzo, when he sang "only the good die young". I always misunderstood it to mean he wanted to trick an underage school girl into spreading her legs for him - my bad. Guess I shouldn't throw rocks at glass houses?

Ah come on, lay off Billy! :D

He might be middle of the road/whatever but he's penned some cracking tracks.

It doesn't help his cause that he's constantly referred to as "The American Elton John", which is enough to make anyone hurl themselves off a tall building. He's way better than that.

Oh, and he's an ugly shortarse who managed to shag Christie Brinkley. At least give him a bit of credit for that! :D

Elton John had some great songs, and always seemed to have a tight band. I really don't bring a musician's looks or sexual lifestyle into how I would judge the music. I've never heard any outstanding keyboards from the "Piano Man" - but haven't seen him live, to fairly say how much talent he has. I just think most of his songs are a drag, or too yuppy-ish. The airplay and hype that he gets in this area is unjustified, to me...

Back to the wanker!

You know, I almost wish I could be at Shea stadium, when the namedropper sings "and the Yankees win the pennant every time!". That's the sound I simply must hear, when the Mets fans there all go "Boohoohoooooo"...

I like the motorcycle at the end of Movin Out :lol:

I liked River of Dreams when it was on the radio. But he's generally icky to me. He's just got kind of a bug eyed weird vibe I don't like. The songs are just okay, to me.

Wait, was it a motorcycle or a car? Can't remember. I know he laid a patch, so you KNOW that bad boy piano man was serious! :rolleyes::P

Edited by Suz

Elton John had some great songs, and always seemed to have a tight band. I really don't bring a musician's looks or sexual lifestyle into how I would judge the music. I've never heard any outstanding keyboards from the "Piano Man" - but haven't seen him live, to fairly say how much talent he has. I just think most of his songs are a drag, or too yuppy-ish. The airplay and hype that he gets in this area is unjustified, to me...

You got that right!

Had a tight what? :D

You know, I almost wish I could be at Shea stadium, when the namedropper sings "and the Yankees win the pennant every time!". That's the sound I simply must hear, when the Mets fans there all go "Boohoohoooooo"...

Well, since I'm a diehard Mets fan (who is not going to see him), he better change it to- "and the Metswin the pennant every time"!!

I don't "loathe" him like you do, but as a fellow Long Islander, I am a little tired of his music after hearing it played over & over for the last 30 years.

Wait, was it a motorcycle or a car? Can't remember. I know he laid a patch, so you KNOW that bad boy piano man was serious! :rolleyes::P

It was car! You know, working so hard can give you a heart attack-yack-yack-yack... But at least you can polish the fenders?

Well, since I'm a diehard Mets fan (who is not going to see him), he better change it to- "and the Metswin the pennant every time"!!

I don't "loathe" him like you do, but as a fellow Long Islander, I am a little tired of his music after hearing it played over & over for the last 30 years.

Hey neighbor! Don't the Mets play on Long Island, the celebrated home of the Piano Man? Oh that's right, you can't make millions writing songs about a team that no one jumps on the bandwagon for! But you can win over a crowd for one night, by tweaking the lyrics? Maybe even poor Willie would crack a smile...

Hey neighbor! Don't the Mets play on Long Island, the celebrated home of the Piano Man? Oh that's right, you can't make millions writing songs about a team that no one jumps on the bandwagon for! But you can win over a crowd for one night, by tweaking the lyrics? Maybe even poor Willie would crack a smile...

:lol:

It was car! You know, working so hard can give you a heart attack-yack-yack-yack... But at least you can polish the fenders?

By golly, he showed her though, didn't he! He was OUTTA THERE. :lol: But then he went to a party with some other chick and got pissed off because she was coked up and wouldn't stop talking. Friggin big shot. Not to worry though, the catholic girls were there to inspire him....until the uptown girl swept him away. That's all you're getting from me, it's just too emotional ;) to go on.

Good tunes by BJ:

Captain Jack

Goodnight Saigon (great lyrics)

Movin' Out

Allentown

Scenes from an Italian Restaurant

and my fave...Pressure!

I saw him 2006 in Philadelphia and I thought he put on a great show. They even covered "Back In Black" by ACDC (he let his sound guy come on stage and play with them).

P.S. BTW, screw the Mets/Yankees.....GO PHILLIES!!!

B)

I've never heard any outstanding keyboards from the "Piano Man" - but haven't seen him live, to fairly say how much talent he has. I just think most of his songs are a drag, or too yuppy-ish. The airplay and hype that he gets in this area is unjustified, to me...

Actually I remember reading a music critic who was writing about Billy Joel saying that Billy has a tendency to copy other people's piano-playing style, and the two examples he gave were 'Just The Way You Are' sounds like Elton, and 'My Life' sounds like Paul McCartney