Billy Joel

jimmie ray

OK, well I'll see your Billy Joel and raise you a Celine Dion. Stitch that, mofos! B)

Actually, I confess there was one Celine Dion song I did like, and that was 'Only One Road' back in 1995, because when I was 16, I could sing that song as high as her, since then my voice has come down a few notes, age and smoking the culprits. When I was 13, I used to be able to sing exactly like Karen Carpenter

My wife loves Celion Dion, and we watch her DVDs together alot. I'm convinced she's deaf (Celion, that is), but patiently sit through it - over and over. Hope you people can understand how my tolerance sometimes gets stretched to the breaking point, and I have to lash out against wankers like BJ.

I do like "For the Longest Time", the alcopelo song - so this one is off limits!

I saw him 2006 in Philadelphia and I thought he put on a great show. They even covered "Back In Black" by ACDC (he let his sound guy come on stage and play with them).

P.S. BTW, screw the Mets/Yankees.....GO PHILLIES!!!

B)

Did BJ do "Philadelphia Freedom" for your city? That's a song that I can definitely groove to...

Did BJ do "Philadelphia Freedom" for your city? That's a song that I can definitely groove to...

I think you'd have to wait on Elton for that one.

I saw Billy in '86 or so. It was an okay show. He dedicated "Goodnight Saigon" to Vietnam vets and invited a group on stage. Besides catching a glimpse of Christie, and eating ribs in the luxury suite, that's about all I remember. His catalog hasn't aged very well.

There sure is some hoopla over Billy Joel playing Shea stadium tomorrow. He's added a big orchestra section to his lameass band, and promises for it to be as big as when the Beatles played there in 1965. This guy has been a thorn in my side for over 30 years. He made himself popular in this area by injecting various local town names into each song, so that Escalade driving phonies can get off on hearing their hometown mentioned repeatedly on the radio. He's so revered here, for such inspirational lyrics as "so you stay at home, and masterbate", and "they found your father, dead in the swimming pool". And who the fuck buys their paintings at Sears?

Does this guy exist outside of New York, or am I solely being tortured by him???

You mean you don't like Liberty DeVitto?

The actual last play at shea is tonight i think. Apparently the tics sold so fast they added that other show and then there was some anger as to what the last show was gonna be or something. I had a couple of -billy joel records on vinyl and bought a used copy of the box set yrs later to have some of his material on cd. I dont listen to it that often, its good to go to every once in awhile,mostly for nostalgia. I havent listened to commercial rock radio in yrs, so i can listen to this stuff still and rock radio even turned me off to some zep songs at times, like hearing -heartbreaker/llm over and over...yet in the context of the album and to listen to them when you want to listen, their great ofcourse.

I think i like billy joels poppier songs more than the ballads and the songs that addressed certain things like -allentown and the song about fishing were cool, the retro -river of dreams song was good too.

QUOTE (jimmie ray @ Jul 16 2008, 08:27 AM)

There sure is some hoopla over Billy Joel playing Shea stadium tomorrow. He's added a big orchestra section to his lameass band, and promises for it to be as big as when the Beatles played there in 1965. This guy has been a thorn in my side for over 30 years. He made himself popular in this area by injecting various local town names into each song, so that Escalade driving phonies can get off on hearing their hometown mentioned repeatedly on the radio. He's so revered here, for such inspirational lyrics as "so you stay at home, and masterbate", and "they found your father, dead in the swimming pool". And who the fuck buys their paintings at Sears?

Does this guy exist outside of New York, or am I solely being tortured by him???

lessee, i think he added tony bennet to his lame-ass band as well.

thorn in your side for 30 years? pay him the money you owe him, shyster!

local town names in a song? oh, you mean johnny cash? chuck berry? beach boys? no?

choose your own hell, or one will be chosen for you....

1. Elton John is far superior to Billy Joel, especially when talking about

Elton's first six or so albums, everything from "Elton John" to "Goodbye

Yellow Brick Road".

2. I'll take ABBA over Billy Joel anyday, easily.

3. The fact that Billy Joel is in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, renders said

institution irrelevant...but then, it always has been. I don't need Jann Wenner

to tell me who is/was important in rock and roll history, and neither should you.

Another reason Billy is cool in my book.

"It was like the first time I heard Led Zeppelin. I realized I was nothing. Everything to that point was puny."

Anyone that loves Zep that much can't be too bad.

P.S. Abba lovers= WANKERS :o:D:D

Edited by Wolfman

Hi all,

Another reason Billy is cool in my book.

"It was like the first time I heard Led Zeppelin. I realized I was nothing. Everything to that point was puny."

Anyone that loves Zep that much can't be too bad.

P.S. Abba lovers= WANKERS :o:D:D

Billy Joel, has always had praise for Zep,...

Er, ITTOD was recorded at Polar Studio,owned by,.....?

Hate to break the news but Bonzo was friends with at least on of the Gibbs,....

KB(your kidding,right?No,I am staying home,.....who is kid?)

Hi all,

Billy Joel, has always had praise for Zep,...

Er, ITTOD was recorded at Polar Studio,owned by,.....?

Hate to break the news but Bonzo was friends with at least on of the Gibbs,....

KB(your kidding,right?No,I am staying home,.....who is kid?)

Coolio.I still don't like them though. To each their own...it's just that my way is the right way! :D:huh::blink:

i think Billy Joel is a music icon. and they play the shit out of his music here because i think it makes people (long islanders) feel somewhat proud that they are from the same place he is. not sure if proud is the right word, but whatever.

also, i love his song "i've loved these days".

Wheel of Fortune,Sally Ride,heavy metal,suicide

Foreign debts,homeless vets,AIDS,crack,Bernie Goetz

Hypodermics on the shore,China's under martial law

Rock and roller cola wars,I can't take it anymore!

Who started that fire?