Good Times Bad Times

Dirigible

It's the song LZ (read Jimmy Page) chose to introduce themselves with, the opener on their first album. You can probably count the times they played Good Times Bad Times live on one hand. Was it a magic take in the studio that was too fragile to effectively reproduce live? Was the band not too keen on the song?

I've never found anything out about that. They would use it some in late 70 in medley's with Communication Breakdown. Maybe it was just tough to play or they didn't feel it fit their sets.

it was the perfect opener for the reunion show, if you ask me. very poignant and played with alot of fire...

It was great, but I prefer the one John Bonham played on on September 4, 1970.

I consider Jones, Page and Plant playing Led Zeppelin songs with Jason Bonham to be the best alternative available. Moreso than Page/Plant.

Would I pay to see either act? I have, and hopefully will again. Did I enjoy it? Immensely. Isn't Jason in the drum chair a blood connection to Bonzo and is Jason not the best suited most logical replacement on the face of the earth? Absolutely. The band sounds excellent with Jason sitting in and I hope they tour. Would I ever refer to them as Led Zeppelin? I think you kNOw the answer to that.

Hi all,

John Paul Jones wrote the riff and he said it was the hardest thing to play he had ever written.

Cactus,can you confirm that? The writting credits: Page,Jones,Bonham.Just askin'

Such a good tune,a great kick-off at O2,........... :D

KB

Hi all,

Cactus,can you confirm that? The writting credits: Page,Jones,Bonham.Just askin'

Such a good tune,a great kick-off at O2,........... :D

KB

Bassist John Paul Jones told Rolling Stone magazine after they opened with this song at their December 10, 2007 benefit show: "That's the hardest riff I ever wrote, the hardest to play."

Usually anything [by Led Zeppelin] with lots of notes was mine and anything with chunky chords was Page's. Things like "Good Times Bad Times", those are my sort of riffs, they're quite busy.
Long, Andy (March, 2002). "Get The Led Out". Global Bass Online. Retrieved on 2008-03-17.

I assume Page got a writing credit for the chorus chords? And Bonham because the drums are so unique (drummers do not always get a writing credit, only when their contribution to the song as a whole is considered to be significant).

Archived