Were you ever forced to...

LedZep1969

Were you ever forced to listen to crappy music? i remember one time when i was 10 i was in the car with my grandma, aunt, and cousins who all thought rock music was satanic. so they put like mozart or someone in the tape player. then when we were at a stoplight i put in Led Zeppelin 3 (i had it on tape for some crazy reason) then we stopped at wal mart and my grandma smashed it then we went to wal mart and i bought TSRTS and i told them it was a good classic movie... i was never forgiven for that day... B)

Mozart is "crappy music"? :huh:

:lol:

Might I suggest the box CD set 'Classical Music for Classical Music Haters'? It's EXCELLENT!! The Carmina Burana is one of my faves! Moonlight Sonata, etc. etc. etc.....

Growing up, my parents and grandparents mostly listened to soundtracks, like "The Man of La Mancha", "The Sound of Music", etc. along with some Nat King Cole, Kingston Trio etc. I didn't care for it growing up, but do appreciate it now. I also like classical music and some opera (Italian tenors mainly).

If musical tv shows count, we were forced to watch Lawrence Welk and Hee Haw growing up <_< ... I can't think of any cultural benefit.

Ahhh, thanks for the links Dzldoc, I love the Trans Siberian Orchestra!

They usually are in a town near you during the holidays. It's a must see

if you have never seen them live before.

I used to not care much for classical music until I was about 13 when my family was living in Newport, RI.

The music teacher I had in school was this really old guy and classical music seem to be his passion. I thought oh no!

Well he not only knew all the compossers and they're music, he knew their biography as well and the history part is what enthralled me.

Not literally forced but opera music was something that was played quite often in my house when I was a kid. My mother used to love it.

She used to play over and over the "arias" from the MADAMA BUTTERFLY by Giacomo Puccini.

And I recall how I used to hate it as I wanted to play my own records but she wouldn't allow me until we let her play first her opera records.

How foolish I was being....until when I finally went to see my first opera (Madama Butterfly, of course)at the Arena di Verona not long ago. I will never ever forget the emotions I felt.

The voices, the drama, ....the music! It was such a touching experience that I will always treasure in my memories. Every time that I hear it again I just cry and have shivers before such beauty of music.

Unfortunately, my mother passed away many many years ago, but I am so grateful to her for make me appreciate opera and the sensations it gives you. There are no words for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2oNJRTkonM

Yes, every day. My little brother loves Hannah Montana and the Jonas Brothers. I try to get him to listen to Zepp but he doesn't like it.

Why God, why? I hope this is just a phase. Please let it be just a phase. I don't want to have to hear pop music for the next four years.

Yes, every day. My little brother loves Hannah Montana and the Jonas Brothers. I try to get him to listen to Zepp but he doesn't like it.

Why God, why? I hope this is just a phase. Please let it be just a phase. I don't want to have to hear pop music for the next four years.

i feel your pain with my cousins

• 6 months later...

Nobody can escape it!!!!! Everyone feels your pain!

Back on topic- my mom went all Christian all of a sudden a while back, so I had to listen to that Contemperary Christian crap. It was Hell. (Excuse the pun) When I asked her about it ,she said "Well I thought it might be better that Sex, Drugs Rock&Roll". This woman went to AC/DC concerts...not that long ago. Thank God (well, probably not God, I imagine no one had less to do with this) that the station she listened to quit picking up. Before I get attacked- Iwas raised Christian, I'm not some Anti-Christ promoter or anyting, but I just have better music to listen to

...Uhg yes, my mom likes country(not that much, but still)

Whenever she plays it, i swear I almost freak out, I cannot stand country at all, it makes my ears bleed..a lot. Its too painful to listen too. And my dad is mostly into 60's and 70's rock, but every once in a while he'll play some very crappy, sappy 80's stuff..and its just uhhh..Like Eddie Money, im pretty sure thats his name, and its always stuck in my head, I wanna go back, and do it all over..only part I remember but its horrible.

I was on a road trip with my brother and he asked what kind of music to put on. I said I liked rock and classical - two pretty broad categories I thought - and all he had were show tunes or Celine Dionne (sp?) or Edith Piaf. My daughter and I were ready to jump out of the car in about 15 minutes.

Incidentally those of us who grew up in the 70s were forced to listen to all kinds of bad pop music on the radio before cassettes made musical more portable. In between Led Zeppelin songs we got bad Elton John, Steve Miller Band, etc.

Archived