Spirit

• 3 years later...

Led Zeppelin opened concerts for Spirit, in the very first North American appearances of the band.

This is recalled in an interview with concert promoter Barry Fey.

He (Fey) hosted the very first North American show for an obscure English band meant to open for Vanilla Fudge and Spirit -- Led Zeppelin.

"As soon as Bobby (vocalist Robert Plant) opened his mouth, I felt sorry for the other bands," Fey recalls of the 1968 concert at Denver's Auditorium Arena."I don't know how Spirit went on after that," he writes in the book. "You didn't have to be a genius to know Zeppelin was going to be a smash."

But he also says that the British foursome were unmanageable, and Zeppelin's late drummer, John Bonham, was one of the most mean, difficult people he'd ever met.

The full interview is available here: http://www.dailycame...sic/ci_19435440

One of my favourite films of the 60s is Jacques Demy's "Model Shop", starring Gary Lockwood("2001: A Space Odyssey") and Anouk Aimée("Lola", "La Dolce Vita"), and featuring the music of Spirit...Spirit vocalist Jay Ferguson even pops up in the movie.

So does a young Fred Willard!

If you're a film buff, the name Demy should be familiar to you, as he is the director of such films as "Lola", "The Young Girls of Rochefort" and "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg".

What I love about "Model Shop" is how it naturalistically portrays Los Angeles and the counter-culture of that time...it doesn't try too hard, so it doesn't seem forced or phony like so many hippie-era movies do.

And you get the music of Spirit throughout the film! Spirit was between their second and third albums, and recorded new music for the film. Unfortunately the film flopped and no soundtrack was released. It finally came out on cd in 2005.

If you like Spirit, see the movie, get the cd.

As a native of Los Angeles and one who has spent his life defending the city from the slings and arrows of outrageous New Yorkers and San Franciscans, this is one of my favourite parts of the movie:

Archived