Star Trek

• 2 weeks later...

Any opinions here on ST: Discovery? I have heard nothing but hate regarding this series so on a lark I binged watched the whole first season during a CBS All Access free weekend and liked it quite a bit. In fact, what I have seen thus far makes the show, IMO, superior to all the ST series with the exception of TOS. 

I believe the stories and writing are much better, more adult driven (kill Wesley, Nog, and Neelix), and just better in general. However what I really like are the Klingons and how they are portrayed. In the other ST shows they are simply violent buffoons, complete idiots who could never have built a small town much less an empire. In Discovery they have nuance, they have structure like every other race and not everyone is a psycho warrior. They even give a rational reason for why the Klingons are dicks not unlike our own human history (they are simply trying to unite their society and need a scapegoat as a focus to such an end).

So, what ya all think???

5 hours ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

Any opinions here on ST: Discovery? I have heard nothing but hate regarding this series so on a lark I binged watched the whole first season during a CBS All Access free weekend and liked it quite a bit. In fact, what I have seen thus far makes the show, IMO, superior to all the ST series with the exception of TOS. 

I believe the stories and writing are much better, more adult driven (kill Wesley, Nog, and Neelix), and just better in general. However what I really like are the Klingons and how they are portrayed. In the other ST shows they are simply violent buffoons, complete idiots who could never have built a small town much less an empire. In Discovery they have nuance, they have structure like every other race and not everyone is a psycho warrior. They even give a rational reason for why the Klingons are dicks not unlike our own human history (they are simply trying to unite their society and need a scapegoat as a focus to such an end).

So, what ya all think???

No, you're not alone - I really enjoy "Discovery". I wish to hell they would just show it on TV on CBS proper, but I guess they want to be in vogue... (I waited until it came out on BluRay to watch the whole series beyond the first show - if there is anyone on the fence about buying it, I do recommend the BluRay. The effects and picture quality are stunning.)

After TNG, I didn't like any of the subsequent ST series. Of course, for me, the original ST is the gold standard (in fact, right now, I am in the middle of my yearly ritual of watching all three series, from the first show of Season 1 to the last show of Season 3 consecutively - I just began Season 3 last night - Spock just got his brain back, for those in the know...).

What I like about Discovery is that it has real grit to it: it's dark. I also think that's one of the reasons that they are doing streaming only, i.e., they can get away with stuff on a streaming format that a traditional TV show might shy away from. (I guess interspecies mating was one of the tipping points.) Anyway, a good storyline and characters who are interesting are the two main selling points. The plot twist near the end of the series I was not expecting at all - that always makes for good viewing.

I will re-watch the series after I end my January ritual. I guess I'll have to wait until the end of the year to get the season 2 BluRay set - but, I will definitely get it!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Has anyone watched any episodes of Picard? If so, what did you think? I haven't because I won't pay for a subscription to CBS in order to watch it. I think it's a shame that it wasn't put on tv, a lot of people probably missed out on it because of that. I'm too cheap I guess to get a subscription.

On 7/21/2020 at 9:26 PM, luvlz2 said:

How could you forget Nana Visitor & Michelle Forbes? Typically such a sin is unforgivable but I will chalk it up to lack of space on the picture board. I know they are in the collage, but they should be on the picture board too!!! 🙂

Picard was pretty damn good IMO. It was almost as if the writers had taken a few tips and lessons from The Expanse and applied them to Picard. So the show was more serious and adult orientated than prior Trek and it was darker as well, especially regarding Picard's dealings with Starfleet and personal relationships. So it was much deeper than what you would expect. On the flip side it was also more poignant as his relationships with the crew, Riker, Troi, and others was much more nuanced and textured. IMO it is the best Trek series hands down. Not perfect but damn good.

Edited by PeaceFrogYum

18 hours ago, luvlz2 said:

Has anyone watched any episodes of Picard? If so, what did you think? I haven't because I won't pay for a subscription to CBS in order to watch it. I think it's a shame that it wasn't put on tv, a lot of people probably missed out on it because of that. I'm too cheap I guess to get a subscription.

CBS all access offering Free 7 day subscription (binge watch Picard then cancel).

R😎

8 hours ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

How could you forget Nana Visitor & Michelle Forbes? Typically such a sin is unforgivable but I will chalk it up to lack of space on the picture board. I know they are in the collage, but they should be on the picture board too!!! 🙂

Picard was pretty damn good IMO. It was almost as if the writers had taken a few tips and lessons from The Expanse and applied them to Picard. So the show was more serious and adult orientated than prior Trek and it was darker as well, especially regarding Picard's dealings with Starfleet and personal relationships. So it was much deeper than what you would expect. On the flip side it was also more poignant as his relationships with the crew, Riker, Troi, and others was much more nuanced and textured. IMO it is the best Trek series hands down. Not perfect but damn good.

Agreed about showing pictures of Nana Visitor and Michelle Forbes, their pictures should absolutely be shown as well. Thanks for your review PeaceFrogYum!

1 hour ago, reids said:

CBS all access offering Free 7 day subscription (binge watch Picard then cancel).

R😎

:thumbsup: Good plan, thanks reids!

2 hours ago, reids said:

R😎

Yep, that's what I did. Then again I am the type of guy to go to a Mercedes dealership before a big event like a wedding, test drive a sweet ride, then give the sales person a "business card" and let them know I will be making a fleet purchase. Man, even the sales manager is shitting himself. Then I say I need to keep the car for a couple of days as this will be for a fleet purchase / lease and I need to make sure the model for my sales force. Keep the car for two days, then bring it back letting them know I need to think about it.

That used to work about 50% of the time up until the late 90's, nowadays, no bueno. Bastards got wise.

1 hour ago, luvlz2 said:

Agreed about showing pictures of Nana Visitor and Michelle Forbes, their pictures should absolutely be shown as well. Thanks for your review PeaceFrogYum!

:thumbsup: Good plan, thanks reids!

It’s only like $10 a month if you want to keep it the first month then cancel, as well. They’ve got the original mission impossible tv series and some other content worth watching. 

R😎

• 1 year later...