Star Trek

So some friends and I attended last night's double-bill of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan" and "Star Trek III:The Search for Spock" and, as usual, George Takei was freaking hilarious, insightful and eloquent. If you've never had the chance to see him in person, you should rectify that at your next opportunity...you won't be sorry. He is one of the most entertaining speakers I've ever heard.

I am surprised no one has posted this on this thread yet, but here is one of the most hilarious and clever things I've ever seen on Youtube...just the editing work alone deserves massive hosannas...ENJOY!

And for those who can't get enough of William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy singing( I have albums by both "thespian-singers"...and no, I don't feel embarrassed by that fact, hehehe), here's a treat for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vd5zadgAYg0

Edited by Strider

• 4 months later...

I was thinking about this thread the other day.

I consider myself a Trekkie as I like all things Star Trek, but I have raised a Star Trek Geek. She was born the year before TNG premiered and was raised watching the series.

This last weekend she and some of her friends went to Vegas for the Star Trek Convention 2011. They had a great time and got to see Kirk, Pickard, Janeway and a host of others there, but was majorly excited at meeting Brent Spiner, aka Data, her favorite character of the series.

brentandholly.jpg

Notice his grip on her bag. That is a rare item that a friend of hers from Paramount gave her and he wanted it.

• 5 months later...

Star Trek 2 is now filming. As yet untitled.

Paramount Pictures announced that filming has begun on the sequel to "Star Trek," which is once again being directed by JJ Abrams from a script by The script was written by Alex Kurtzman, Robert Orci and Damon Lindelof.

Returning to their posts on the Enterprise are John Cho, Bruce Greenwood, Simon Pegg, Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana, Karl Urban, and Anton Yelchin. They are joined by new cast members Benedict Cumberbatch, Alice Eve and Peter Weller.

Shooting is currently going on in Los Angeles with the goal of having the film in theaters on May 17th, 2013 in 3D. The first "Star Trek" grossed $385 million worldwide on a $150 million budget.

Source: Paramount Pictures

• 4 months later...

It usually is....mostly late night viewing.

I thought he meant he wished the show was still in production. As far as reruns of the original program, I'm sure there's hundreds of episodes on the air around the globe as we speak. Sort of like perennial favorites such as M*A*S*H and The Andy Griffith Show.

• 5 months later...

Wasn't sure if I should post this news in what made me happy, but decided to dredge up this thread as I have a feeling that Star Trek will be in my life more prominently for a while.

My daughter just signed a contract with CBS to combine two of her obsessive passions. Star Trek and organizing She will be working to pack and move and then set up a new warehouse of Star Trek merchandise and memorabilia. The perfect job for her. Hopefully it will open a more permanent job for her down the road. Who else would be more suited to monitor the collection then the person who is setting it up.

She is happy beyond belief and I am happy for her. But a little sad too, as she will be moving to the LA area in the new year. But it's time, and as it should be.

Her first day on the job monday will already be presenting her with some perks. She will be attending a launch party for The Original Series Soundtrack.

http://www.trektoday.com/content/2012/11/original-series-soundtrack-celebration/

• 5 weeks later...

Most of the Trek series had great characters!

Of course, Spock on the original, and the interplay between him and Bones.

NG: Data and the play with Picard.

Voyager: The hilarious Doctor!

Haven't seen the reboot movies, I guess I'll have to check it out.

I have to agree. I love Jaba fet and Jaja binks they really make the Next generation films.

I caught my son watching Star Trek the other day. He blamed it on his worship of Dr. Sheldon.

Of course, I withdrew privileges. 'No son of mine', etc...

That doesn't sound like much of a punishment to me. Allowing him to disown you, really. I think 20 minutes of listening to Coldplay might be a more fitting penance.

• 3 months later...