Star Trek

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't think much of Star Trek into Darkness personally, even more so than Abrams first film it was IMHO little more than a typical Hollywood blockbuster full of 100 mph quick cut action and poorly setup attempts at drama.

You compare that to Wrath of Khan which had a vastly deeper character study and much more suspenseful action and its pretty badly lacking

Edited by greenman

Didn't think much of Star Trek into Darkness personally, even more so than Abrams first film it was IMHO little more than a typical Hollywood blockbuster full of 100 mph quick cut action and poorly setup attempts at drama.

You compare that to Wrath of Khan which had a vastly deeper character study and much more suspenseful action and its pretty badly lacking

I liked it, but you are right, Wrath of Khan blows it away.

I've been a Trekkie since my teen years. I started watching the original series in syndication when I wasin high school. My favorite characters were Lt. Uhura and Mr. Chekov. I was disappointed in the first Trek film but loved The Wrath of Khan.

I liked the Next Generation well enough but not as much as the original series. I liked Captain Picard,

Dr. Crusher, Tasha Yar, Worf and Data. I could tolerate Counselor Troi but Wesley Crusher annoyed me while Geordie and his vision thingy were both lame. I couldn't stand Jonathan Frakes' character, Number One. What a smug bore!

Deep Space Nine was far superior to The Next Generation, imo. Better writing and much darker in tone. I

loved Avery Fisher's Commander Cisco. The actor has such a deep, resonant voice. I'd listen to him recitethe phone book. Gul Dukat was one of TV's great villains; so smooth and slippery yet capable of horrific brutality. Alexander Siddig's Dr. Bashir was a hot nerd while Colm Meaney's Chief O'Brien was a real mensch. Didn't like his wife though. My favorite female characters were Lt. Kira and Zayal, Gul Dukat's lovechild. I initially disliked the Ferengi guy and his kid but they eventually grew on me; particularly the father. I enjoyed his cynical, opportunistic take on life. It was nice contrast to all of the Star Fleet idealism. I wasn't as enamored with Garon, the tailor cum spy, as many other DS9 fans. Jake Cisco started out as a cute kid but grew up to be a pretentious, boring man. His storylines were usually fast-forward material for me.

Any fans?

I grew up around that show, my family loves it. I never really got into it until I started watching the original series and the movies a couple years back. That's what I mainly watch, I'm not really into the other stuff from the franchise.

It's hard picking a favourite character, but it really depends on what episode I'm watching. It's either Kirk, Spock, McCoy or Scotty. I love all of them though when I watch the movies...

My favourite movie is Wrath of Khan, hands down. The Voyage Home (the one with the whales) after that and I don't really care for the other ones, but I still enjoy 'em if I catch it on tv or something.

I'm really looking forward to the new movie coming out next May, it's just what the franchise needs. Great cast and the guys behind Lost and Transformers are in on it as well. I'm pretty excited for that one.

I hate Klingons. biggrin.gif

Edited by Disco Duck

• 4 weeks later...

I've been watching some episodes of Star Trek Voyager, I have noticed that other planets they visit don't seem to differ much from ours, there are Senates, courts, just as there are here on Earth, also, capitalism seems to be the dominant system on other galaxies, there's talk of currencies and monetary exchanges, I think they're sending an implicit message that capitalism exists everywhere regardless of time and space.

Also, the civilisations they visit are either very advanced or very primitive, in one episode there's a planet where the bartering system is still in place, but this is also an historical/economical distortion as it would imply that feudalism, or any other economic system, would eventually settle in those primitive planets.

I don't complain, the episodes are entertaining, but I wish they were more imaginative and life in other planets was actually different than it is in our planet.

How come a people like the Banean sit down to supper, just like most families in, say, the United States, and how come they're familiar with the concept of hospitality?

Edited by Janvier

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...