Star Trek

"SPOCKING 5's"
Canadians Defaced Their Fiat Currency in Honor of this Man
Spock-5-Dollar.jpg
Wilfrid Laurier @PMLaurier Follow
Adieu to the great Leonard Nimoy. Honoured so many Canadians thought we looked alike & would "Spock" their $5 bills:
1:21 PM - 27 Feb 2015

Sir Wilfrid Laurier, one of Canadas greatest prime ministers, is boldly going where no dead Canadian politician has gone before.
Bank of Canada begs people to stop 'spocking' their paper money.
Earlier in the week, the Canadian government condemned the actions of scores of people who defaced the countrys currency to memorialize screen legend Leonard Nimoy.
Bitter%20Dregs_zpswglg2hms.jpg
Star Trek fans commemorated the late thespian by adding facial features to the man who appears on the Bank of Canadas five dollar bill, Prime Minister Sir Wilfrid Laurier, morphing the former lawmaker into the USS Enterprises pointy-eared extraterrestrial.
030315spocking_fi.png
William Shatner ✔ @WilliamShatner Follow
And the defacing of the Canadian $5 bill warms my heart

lincoln-spock_zpsgdybkmoz.jpg
Seriously? Canada is trouncing us in #SpockingFives. How can we let this happen @GeorgeTakei?
B_Rs1xpXEAE9NJH_zpsbzevnv7g.jpg
Sergio Jr. @SergioJrZG Follow ? :) #Spocking #Croatia #Spockingfive #Spockingtwenty
Croatians also took Canadians cue: ^^

In response to the mass spocking, the Bank of Canada issued a message, not declaring the act illegal, but imploring citizens not to deface their fiat currency because national pride:
Furthermore, the Bank of Canada feels that writing and markings on bank notes are inappropriate as they are a symbol of our country and a source of national pride.
dc34d41c-f6a9-4762-a503-73d0cbec73ff_4ot

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

William Shatner, who for many years played Captain Kirk to Nimoy's Spock on the TV series and in subsequent films, crowdsourced pictures of fans doing the Vulcan's "live long and prosper" salute and made them into a mosaic photo tribute.

Shatner kept his intentions under wraps when he made his initial request for fans to send in pictures, asking only that they send in selfies of themselves performing the gesture.

Who woulda thought Shatner will most likely be the last man standing of the original ST crew. I figured his liver would have exploded decades ago.

:hysterical: LMAO. The things you say, IpMan. Bill has a decent heart. I honestly believed that he wishes he would have attended Nimoy's funeral. He tried, but he got there late. He could have left earlier. IMO, he's a man that stays the course on his obligations. But, Dammit Jim, you should have honored Spock then and there.

Wasn't George Takei one of the original ST crew? He's still living.

yes indeed he is, I love George, great human being. What I meant was he will "likely" be the last man standing, not that he was the only man standing. Walter Koenig is alive and well and still doing sic-fi. If you never saw the Babylon 5 series check it out. Koenig play a character called Al Bester, a Psy-Cop, and it is a wonderful, deep character. Much better than his role as Chekov.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

2290040433_091ab89d4a.jpg

IIRC, this Star Trek episode was inspired by the flower child movement of the Sixties.  The brunette female in the background was an old flame of Mr. Chekhov.  The fact that I remember this stuff is proof positive that I spent way too much time watching Star Trek reruns in my youth.