Star Trek

On 12/26/2018 at 6:46 AM, BledZabbath said:

I always thought Q was of the same people as Trelane.

I took it as Trelane was a Q.

Q is both individual entities-- as well as part of 'the Q Continuum'--- a race of beings-- a hive of super intelligent lesser gods in making.

Trelane was by far one the most interesting yet malevolent characters in the original Star Trek series. Far more powerful than Khan and more threatening. In a Earthly universe he might be compared to a 'fallen angel'.   I was always fascinated by his childlike petulance, but his determination to succeed and be recognized--- while having fun doing it. Others only existed for his personal amusement... he was the first "troll" we ever encountered in a Sci-Fi series.

I liked the Trelane character so much that I used him for my avatar. His face joined with the screen name "kipper" (Kipper being cockney rhyming slang for saucy Jacky aka: Jack the Ripper) seemed like a good fit for a Trelane avatar... especially for this forum.😜

squireofgothos.jpg?fit=700,%2B9999&crop=

Edited by kipper

18 minutes ago, kipper said:

Q is both individual entities-- as well as part of 'the Q Continuum'--- a race of beings-- a hive of super intelligent lesser gods in making.

Trelane was by far one the most interesting yet malevolent characters in the original Star Trek series. Far more powerful than Khan and more threatening. In a Earthly universe he might be compared to a 'fallen angel'.   I was always fascinated by his childlike petulance, but his determination to succeed and be recognized--- while having fun doing it. Others only existed for his personal amusement... he was the first "troll" we ever encountered in a Sci-Fi series.

I liked the Trelane character so much that I used him for my avatar. His face joined with the screen name "kipper" (Kipper being cockney rhyming slang for saucy Jacky aka: Jack the Ripper) seemed like a good fit for a Trelane avatar... especially for this forum.😜

DAYAM!

Trelane was the Zod they couldn't f*** with.

And Huge that it carried over and no doubt was the God with Omnipotence, and Omnipresence.

No doubt Q equivalent.

20 hours ago, kipper said:

So do you take Trelane as being the original Q, that maybe that's where the writers got the idea for the Q?

That was one of my favorite episodes of TOS, he always stood out in my mind as a kid.

I noticed you used Trelane as your avatar, never connected you were a Star Trek fan, always though Kipper was in reference to fish as in kippers for breakfast.

I take it you’re  English.

Edited by BledZabbath

19 hours ago, E A Poe said:

Panic Cooker, look what you did! Someone had this for their soul. You woke them! You woke The Q , Trelane!

"Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before" - Edgar Allan Poe

poe-zone.jpg

9 hours ago, BledZabbath said:

So do you take Trelane as being the original Q, that maybe that's where the writers got the idea for the Q?

That was one of my favorite episodes of TOS, he always stood out in my mind as a kid.

I noticed you used Trelane as your avatar, never connected you were a Star Trek fan, always though Kipper was in reference to fish as in kippers for breakfast.

I take it your English.

Trelane is not the original Q he is just part of "Q". His father likely being the "lesser god" (as I like to refer to him) who spawned Trelane and others of his kind.

Kipper is a smoked fish, but the reference intended is to Jack the Ripper; a twist as you will on what may appear to be one thing yet is not.

No, I am not English, but I do like their interpretations of our American music.

jack-the-ripper.jpg

Edited by kipper

If y’all haven’t seen The Orville (Fox tv network), IMHO, it’s actually really good (better than most of the Star Trek tv series, since TNG, including DS9 and Discovery). Season 2 just began this week. 

R😎

39 minutes ago, reids said:

If y’all haven’t seen The Orville (Fox tv network), IMHO, it’s actually really good (better than most of the Star Trek tv series, since TNG, including DS9 and Discovery). Season 2 just began this week. 

R😎

I was wondering how that show is...I'll have to give it a shot.

3 hours ago, E A Poe said:

I thought Khan was bad. He was highly intelligent, but could only think in two dimensions.

They never could stop Trelane, did they? 

You are correct, the humans thought they could stop him, but that turned out to be futile in their two dimensional reasoning against a god like being who was existing in multiple "lanes" of time and space.

Trelane was eventually chastised by his "parents" the adult Q and other omnipotent beings in the Q continuum for disturbing the humans with his childlike pranks.

18 hours ago, kipper said:

Trelane is not the original Q he is just part of "Q". His father likely being the "lesser god" (as I like to refer to him) who spawned Trelane and others of his kind.

Kipper is a smoked fish, but the reference intended is to Jack the Ripper; a twist as you will on what may appear to be one thing yet is not.

No, I am not English, but I do like their interpretations of our American music.

jack-the-ripper.jpg

You would say he is Q though? At that time the term Q did not exist,

Khan was a super human , super soldier, nothing like Trelane, no match.

1 hour ago, BledZabbath said:

You would say he is Q though? At that time the term Q did not exist,

Khan was a super human , super soldier, nothing like Trelane, no match.

Yes, Trelane is believed by many to be part of the 'Q continuum' although I would not say this Q  (if he was that) was the one known specifically to J.L. Picard in TNG.  The tie in to Trelane by in TNG is of course one of many creative moves likely to tie the fabric of the entire mythology together. Whether it was specifically designed to be that way or not we may not know for sure. But I'm pretty sure that since Roddenberry was still alive at the conception of the "Q" character in TNG, I don't see how the similarities would not have been intentional.

In 'The Squire of Gothos' (1967) Trelane refers to "we" as a species/entities who have the ability to change matter and time. Clearly when that was written for TOS there were no future plans for the story line which later becomes Q and the Q Continuum, but being it is a great idea, why not borrow that and expand it?

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 8:30 AM, reids said:

R😎

Love The Orville, really good show.

I liked the Q episode where the Q were in a state of Civil War and Q had to conceptually show them what was going on in a manner humans could understand. Could also be argued that Q jr. was Trelane.

Edited by PeaceFrogYum

On 1/2/2019 at 5:30 PM, reids said:

R😎

Wayy ahead!

Lookie here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q-Squared

"Trelane, who first appeared in the original Star Trek episode "The Squire of Gothos", is revealed to be a member of the Q Continuum. "

Q-Squared.jpg

Edited by PanicCooker

47 minutes ago, BledZabbath said:

John DeLancie always reminded me of Trelane.

20 hours ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

Love The Orville, really good show.

I liked the Q episode where the Q were in a state of Civil War and Q had to conceptually show them what was going on in a manner humans could understand. Could also be argued that Q jr. was Trelane.

That is a probability. I'm glad someone mentioned the Q Civil War.

10 hours ago, BledZabbath said:

John DeLancie always reminded me of Trelane.

A lot of people saw a bit of Liberace in some of Trelane's mannerisms and affectations.  I think sometimes people also assumed Trelane's "camp style" suggested he was gay, which I don't believe needed to be the case one way or the other. I just think Trelane was "putting on airs" in a rather classic French style which Trelane believed was in period for the character he was presenting himself as to the crew of the Enterprise.

hB41881C1

h5E43395A

maxresdefault.jpg

I have seen many performers very flamboyant in their attire. Colour only adds to the savoir-faire that melts so well within the surroundings. And colour adds to my love of ale. Say, that's a nice gun. I have one under my floorboards almost like that. That's an 1803.

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 12:30 AM, kipper said:

That's a Wogdon pistol. Very early 19th century. Interesting how this episode was. I grew up on TNG. The original series was before me, but Trelane was well known.

This episode recreated the duel between Alexander Hamilton and Aaron Burr. Trelane firing his one shot in the air, daring the Captain to fire his.

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 3:24 PM, PanicCooker said:

Wayy ahead!

Lookie here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q-Squared

"Trelane, who first appeared in the original Star Trek episode "The Squire of Gothos", is revealed to be a member of the Q Continuum. "

Q-Squared.jpg

Good Morning, PanicCooker. You really got this thread to take off after Christmas, huh? Just mention Trelane and Q. Combining TOS with TNG. I just saw where this is on audio book, and John De Lancie is narrating and doing the voices. Can you give a decent review on that book?

If you want to make me happy, (stop turning my face into Mr. Potato Head, please.) Those messages do not make me laugh. Just give me some Ale, and I may think about laughing. Or some coffee with the Irish stuff in it. Can your replicator do that, Lass? Bring me a nice kind drink of ale? I might wink at you. Or give you a half smile, Miss. I am Edgar Allan Poe. I do not smile. I do not laugh. Nothing can make me do as much. Nothing on this site. NOTHING, Miss.

PS. Every video I've seen regarding Trelane, debates or mentions him being a Q! To be from the original series, I would say Trelane has been drawn through from then to now as one of the most important and infamous villains or space trolls. A threat. He could make planets (like Gothos) and flick away the Borg at will. An insane yet curious member of the Q.

14 hours ago, kipper said:

A lot of people saw a bit of Liberace in some of Trelane's mannerisms and affectations.  I think sometimes people also assumed Trelane's "camp style" suggested he was gay, which I don't believe needed to be the case one way or the other. I just think Trelane was "putting on airs" in a rather classic French style which Trelane believed was in period for the character he was presenting himself as to the crew of the Enterprise.

hB41881C1

h5E43395A

Yes, Liberace! Trelane always reminded me of Liberace, I mentioned John Delancie because of the Star Trek tie in of both characters, John Delancie's  facial expressions at times reminded of Trelane, before I ever connected the two.

13 hours ago, E A Poe said:

If you want to make me happy, (stop turning my face into Mr. Potato Head, please.) Those messages do not make me laugh. Just give me some Ale, and I may think about laughing. Or some coffee with the Irish stuff in it. Can your replicator do that, Lass? Bring me a nice kind drink of ale? I might wink at you. Or give you a half smile, Miss. I am Edgar Allan Poe. I do not smile. I do not laugh. Nothing can make me do as much. Nothing on this site. NOTHING, Miss.