Their Best Composition

reezon

I dont think this subject has been broached, and it is definitely somewhat subjective like most topics here.

But if you look at the whole catalog of work, there is an awful lot to choose from, and I myself have a hard time choosing.

Right now I've been leaning towards Ten Years Gone and The Song Remains The Same.

Remeber I want to focus on the composition of the music.

Those were just 2 but there are so many. What do you think?

Oh,and I know the band thought Kashmir was their best, and I really can't argue that either.

i have the boot of the long musical pastiche that turned into 'tyg'. excellent to listen to the birth of a great song.

i'm afraid that i love both the songs you mentioned, and would probably pick them as well. boring, huh?

'tyg' has the dull ache of a love missed musically. i find that rare in most pop music. i've had a personal relationship with that song since i stood outside the record bar waiting for PG to go onsale.

as for tsrts....it goes back to loving the song come alive when performed. of course, as a composition, it should be considered as a masterwork for the yin and yang of the song, not to mention the 'sliding....'

I dont think this subject has been broached, and it is definitely somewhat subjective like most topics here.

But if you look at the whole catalog of work, there is an awful lot to choose from, and I myself have a hard time choosing.

Right now I've been leaning towards Ten Years Gone and The Song Remains The Same.

Remeber I want to focus on the composition of the music.

Those were just 2 but there are so many. What do you think?

Oh,and I know the band thought Kashmir was their best, and I really can't argue that either.

You're right, there are so many great compositions to choose from. But if I had to choose a beautiful song with great lyrics, it would have to be "The Rain Song."

Just a tidbit about something I notice about Zeps work on HOTH. Plant, Does not sing a lot on that. For the most part I find his vocals more on the quiet side. The only song where he is not as quiet is The Crunge.

MC7

That time from 71-75 the band seemed really to be on a roll creative wise

The music from the fourth album, Houses Of The Holy, and Physical Graffitti

is just astonishing from a standpoint of originality and composition.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd say "Achilles" The song has about everything in it, but it's not based on old blues, it's not just another Rock song. It was very progressive. I feel like it had to have singlehandedly influenced a lot of Metal/Speed metal, and progressive Rock. Metallica/Megadeth, Iron Maiden. I'm not sure who else was playing anything like that at that time in 1975.

I'd have to agree with Rain Song. Maybe not their absolute best, but right now, that comes to mind as a masterpiece. Interesting composition, and a very top-notch contrasting of the different elements of music.

• 3 weeks later...

Led Zeppelin is one of the few bands of rock n roll where all or definitely most of their catalogue is phenomenal without any fillers.

Personal favorites:

Achilles Last Stand and Kashmir because you get alot of every band member in the songs and the songs are just great

Robert Plant's voice is superior to any other voice i have ever heard.

All of their songs had something different but with the core zeppelin sound still there unlike any modern rock band of our time where every song sounds pretty much the same.

Archived