31 YEAR ANNIVERSARY OF ZEPPELIN'S FINAL SHOWS AT OAKLAND!

ZeppFanForever

Today marks the 31 year anniversary of ZEPPELIN'S final shows at the Oakland Coliseum in Oakland California. I was present at the 23 July 1977 show and I thought that it was a great show but not as good as the 23 June 1977 Forum show that I also saw. I would like to ask all of my fellow ZEPPELIN hard core die hard fanatics who was present at the 23 July 1977 Oakland concert as well as the 24 July 1977 Oakland concert and what did all of you think of these shows? What do all of you think of what I term as THE LED ZEPPELIN CONNECTION? This is in reference to the fight that took place in the stadium resulting in a security guard getting the shit beat out of him and Grant, Bonham, Cole and another roadie getting fined and receiving two years probation. If possible, I would like to get all of your inputs on this topic. Thanks and ROCK ON!

I went to this show, it was awful!!! The band did not care. Bonham had these huge dark sunglasses (i guess to hide injuries) Page looked really pissed and Jones just stood there, only Plant smiled. Page just skipped the solo in ALS, I was completely dissapointed after waiting almost four years to see my favorite band.

Gotterdammerung! (the Twilight of the Gods)

I went to this show, it was awful!!! The band did not care. Bonham had these huge dark sunglasses (i guess to hide injuries) Page looked really pissed and Jones just stood there, only Plant smiled. Page just skipped the solo in ALS, I was completely dissapointed after waiting almost four years to see my favorite band.

Gotterdammerung! (the Twilight of the Gods)

I know how you feel, I was disappointed also. Jimmy and Bonzo were really in bad shape. It really pains me to talk about the Oakland shows especially the 23 July 1977 show. Perhaps that is why that people do not talk about these shows. We witnessed on what would appear to be the final two shows that ZEPPELIN would ever perform live on American soil. What a bad way to end it. ROCK ON!

Has anyone of you been to the second Oakland show ?

The July 24, 1977 was 'the' last Zep show in America indeed (hope not last ever)

I heard it was way better than the first one.

Judging from the audience recording I own - it really is !

I'm gonna play it back this evening to commemorate that historical event!

The July 24, 1977 was 'the' last Zep show in America indeed (hope not last ever)

I was not present at the second show (24 July 1977) but a friend of mine was and he said the show was not as good as he had hoped that it would be. I was present at the first show (23 July 1977) and it was not very good. Pagey and Bonzo were really in bad shape. Pagey's guitar playing was off and Bonzo's timing was completely off. As I stressed earlier, ZEPPELIN ranks as one of my all-time favorite bands ever but it also pains me deeply to talk about the Oakland shows in a negative way. But I feel that it is my duty as a hard core die hard ZEPPELIN fanatic to tell it the way it is. I am trying to get my hands on the second show (24 July 1977) and listen to it for myself and see if my friend was right. When I do listen to it, I will let all of you know what I think of it. ROCK ON!

• 1 month later...
Did you ever get a copy?

How's it going "chef free?" I did manage to get a copy of the 24 July 1977 show. I have listened to it numerous times but it sounds pretty much like the 23 July 1977 show. It pains me to say that the Oakland shows did not do any justice for ZEPPELIN at all. It was a freightening sight to see and hear Pagey and Bonzo in the shape that they were in during those final unplanned two shows. In my opinion, if all of you thought that Seattle 77 was bad, Oakland was worse. Thanks to the 02 Arena performance on 10 December 2007, 31 years later, ZEPPELIN finally set the record straight and proved once and for all that the band can still kick some serious ass. ROCK ON!

many years ago, i had a single cassette version of one of the oakland shows (i'm not sure which) which was a pretty poor recording, though it just allowed to hear what was playing, and it was shockingly poor. i'll dig it out of the attic to recheck

the reason i'm posting is because the tape faded out mid song with a spoken broadcast that went (i'm paraphrasing as it was a long time ago);

"the bombs continued to fall. how could these men continue to play as the bombs fell all around them....."

can anyone shed any light on this. is it a known bootleg? its always puzzled me, it was done in a mock wartime tv report style. i had a stones boot that ended in a similar kind of way which was a 'porky pig' TMD release

many years ago, i had a single cassette version of one of the oakland shows (i'm not sure which) which was a pretty poor recording, though it just allowed to hear what was playing, and it was shockingly poor. i'll dig it out of the attic to recheck

the reason i'm posting is because the tape faded out mid song with a spoken broadcast that went (i'm paraphrasing as it was a long time ago);

"the bombs continued to fall. how could these men continue to play as the bombs fell all around them....."

can anyone shed any light on this. is it a known bootleg? its always puzzled me, it was done in a mock wartime tv report style. i had a stones boot that ended in a similar kind of way which was a 'porky pig' TMD release

That's funny, I had a good cassette copy of 6-23-77, great concert! Missing SRTS at the beginning for some reason, and they started w/Rover/sickagain, I noticed on this web-site that they just stopped after SRTS for some reason instead of the segway into Rover/Sick again, because Robert announces "and for our next song" before they start Sick again. I've always wondered what the deal was with that. Anyway, close to the end of Achilles last stand, the music fades and that exact same quote finished the song. then it went into Stairway.

That is from the "For Badgeholders Only" bootleg record LZ1234. This was part one of the show (the rest of the show was "For Badgeholders Only part 2" LZ7), ALS faded out and we hear "...how could these men continue to sing while the bombs fell..." I mentioned this to a friend and he told me it was from a record (which he had checked out of the library) featuring German songs sung during WWII. I had not thought of that in 25 years!

That's funny, I had a good cassette copy of 6-23-77, great concert! Missing SRTS at the beginning for some reason, and they started w/Rover/sickagain, I noticed on this web-site that they just stopped after SRTS for some reason instead of the segway into Rover/Sick again, because Robert announces "and for our next song" before they start Sick again. I've always wondered what the deal was with that. Anyway, close to the end of Achilles last stand, the music fades and that exact same quote finished the song. then it went into Stairway.

Let me just set the record straight on this little bit of trivia. I was at the Badgeholder show. The strap broke on Jimmys double-neck guitar. He nearly dropped it. He sat on the drum riser, still playing, while roadies swarmed around him trying to fix it. But they couldn't, so he had to pause after TSRTS to grab a different guitar, hence no segue into Sick Again. I have a picture of this from Dave Lewis book (caption just says "US '77") but how do post photos without it being your new signature?

I was there. Good show. Not one of their best, some of the songs were a bit sluggish, but not bad either.

• 2 weeks later...

All I know about these concerts is that I have one of the posters from it.

Never listened, and from what people say, I guess I shouldn't. Really I don't venture much past the good highlights of 1975 with these guys. 75% of the bootlegs I have are pre 1973, the reason being I always find myself comparing the early to the late...

Early wins every time.

Archived