Led Zeppelin and the Vietnam War

Night Flight was written for Led Zeppelin 4 I believe so it was written during the war.

Immigrant song I think was allegorical somewhat but I don't think written with the idea of Vietnam. I think Robert was enjoying the Nordic references to their own pillaging and looting, Hammer of the Gods comes in this song of course which is perhaps his mystical impression of the band at the time and the part about peace and love is more of an altruistic statement than a direct comment on the war. This is my perception anyway.

As to their keeping hush in the States they were not a very political band in the first place and at that time were literally concerned with their very survival with having to deal with all the rednecks as they traveled alone through the States.

Actually during the first Gulf War a number of our fighter pilots would blast Immigrant Song in their aircraft, while commencing a mission. Since it's like a war cry, battle song. If you were in their position, it's the perfect song to motivate you on your mission.

Actually during the first Gulf War a number of our fighter pilots would blast Immigrant Song in their aircraft, while commencing a mission. Since it's like a war cry, battle song. If you were in their position, it's the perfect song to motivate you on your mission.

If I were a fighter pilot that's the first song that would come to mind followed immediately by Achilles Last Stand.

They weren't even American citizens so how could they be drafted? UK wasn't at war with Vietnam.

ahh... you bet me to it! :D

Exactly my sentiments,and I note you are a fellow Australasian as well!.

Led Zeppelin are a UK band, and as such probably did not feel it to be right to criticize a war their people had no part in;especially while earning much of their "bread and butter" in a country that did!.

Which is not to say they didn't have strong personal opinions on it.

Everybody did, much as todays conflicts,but does that mean you have to follow you leaders/concience and take a stance one way or another?.

Yes, if you could, I would appreciate it.

The reason i have an interest in this is that this was an important time in history and reflects upon how we are now. Many on this forum may not have even been born, but then again, i'm sure there are an equal number who were. As time goes on, it gets farther away and things get lost. Thankfully we have certain outlets, such as YouTube, where we can dial up the past and relive great memories. Having said that, LZ was becoming the biggest group in the world, and if they had any input into a subject so volatile as the war, I think it is a part of history. I don't think their music has any reflection on this, but i'm sure some journalist, somewhere, had to ask their thoughts. Now, knowing Grant and his Gestapo tactics, maybe it was a prerequisite to interviews, that this was taboo, so it wasn't asked. I do know, the press was different in those days, and they did give celebs a little breathing room. Today, it's the stalkarazzi mentality, and anything a faint scent of a controversy is printed pronto. So yes, anything you can come up with would be cool.

I found the text I told you about and it is-tahdah- an excerpt of Hammer of the gods, our favourite and most reliable Led Zep bio...

It's about an interview Jimmy gave the hit parader in 67, when he's asked about his wishes for a new society:

"'I'd llike the new socirty to be a peaceful one , but it won't, because violence seems to be the answer on every problem.Every fringe society must be experiencing this. We walk around with long hair and someone shouts someething, so you give him answer backwhich is a little sharp which they don't quite expect, so they come to fists. What sort of mentality is that?'

Jimmy finished the interview with some veiledremarks against the war in vietnam, and expressed his deep love for Hollywood, especially Sunset Strip."

Another thing that comes to my mind is that John Paul Johnes published a single called "A foggy day in vietnam". Unfortunately it is an instrumental so we don't know whathe intented...

I know it was not what you were looking for but it was the best I could find. Hope it did help you anyway.

I found the text I told you about and it is-tahdah- an excerpt of Hammer of the gods, our favourite and most reliable Led Zep bio...

It's about an interview Jimmy gave the hit parader in 67, when he's asked about his wishes for a new society:

"'I'd llike the new socirty to be a peaceful one , but it won't, because violence seems to be the answer on every problem.Every fringe society must be experiencing this. We walk around with long hair and someone shouts someething, so you give him answer backwhich is a little sharp which they don't quite expect, so they come to fists. What sort of mentality is that?'

Jimmy finished the interview with some veiledremarks against the war in vietnam, and expressed his deep love for Hollywood, especially Sunset Strip."

Another thing that comes to my mind is that John Paul Johnes published a single called "A foggy day in vietnam". Unfortunately it is an instrumental so we don't know whathe intented...

I know it was not what you were looking for but it was the best I could find. Hope it did help you anyway.

It did. Thanks

Yes, if you could, I would appreciate it.

The reason i have an interest in this is that this was an important time in history and reflects upon how we are now. Many on this forum may not have even been born, but then again, i'm sure there are an equal number who were. As time goes on, it gets farther away and things get lost. Thankfully we have certain outlets, such as YouTube, where we can dial up the past and relive great memories. Having said that, LZ was becoming the biggest group in the world, and if they had any input into a subject so volatile as the war, I think it is a part of history. I don't think their music has any reflection on this, but i'm sure some journalist, somewhere, had to ask their thoughts. Now, knowing Grant and his Gestapo tactics, maybe it was a prerequisite to interviews, that this was taboo, so it wasn't asked. I do know, the press was different in those days, and they did give celebs a little breathing room. Today, it's the stalkarazzi mentality, and anything a faint scent of a controversy is printed pronto. So yes, anything you can come up with would be cool.

led zeppelin didn't talk to the press...per se. by refusing influential publications access, the chances for a statement from the band concerning a foreign country's (the u.s.) war are next to nil.

the smattering of press that was allowed access to the band (lisa robinson, steve rosen, rick mcgrath, etc.) were treated as such because of their tendency to focus on the music. i do seem to recall numerous speak-outs from robert about the violence and police at u.s. concerts, though...

war was a subject that was known and reacted to by zeppelin: ancient war habits of vikings, nazi costuming and regalia, so there are points of view.

i suppose the best public point of view about a worthless american war for a visiting british band on work visas is.....none.

...LZ was becoming the biggest group in the world, and if they had any input into a subject so volatile as the war, I think it is a part of history. I don't think their music has any reflection on this, but i'm sure some journalist, somewhere, had to ask their thoughts. ... Today, it's the stalkarazzi mentality, and anything a faint scent of a controversy is printed pronto. So yes, anything you can come up with would be cool.

I remember being disappointed at the time that Zep never really ever spoke directly about the Vietnam War, with what little interviews they gave. Any Zeppelin interview I've ever read (and that's probably ALMOST every single one) I've yet to see where they talked about non-music related events. At that time, everyone and his cousin in the rock music industry voiced their opinions (overly negative) about the Vietnam War.

Sadly, you don't hear many of the younger bands today talking about the Iraqi War.

I remember being disappointed at the time that Zep never really ever spoke directly about the Vietnam War, with what little interviews they gave. Any Zeppelin interview I've ever read (and that's probably ALMOST every single one) I've yet to see where they talked about non-music related events. At that time, everyone and his cousin in the rock music industry voiced their opinions (overly negative) about the Vietnam War.

Sadly, you don't hear many of the younger bands today talking about the Iraqi War.

Go to a Pearl Jam concert. Eddie loves to share his political views :)

I don't buy it. They are musicians from a country not involved in the conflict, not politicians or activists. They are under no obligation to tell the government of another country what to do.

I don't buy it. They are musicians from a country not involved in the conflict, not politicians or activists. They are under no obligation to tell the government of another country what to do.

What was the US's business over there then? Wasn't it a French involvement initially?

Why did the US have to stick their noses in the S. Vietnam/French vs. N. Vietnam tussle?

It was no more the US's business than the British. Anyone can have an opinion on it.

Sure they can just as bands are under no obligation to talk about the foreign affairs of another country.

What was the US's business over there then? Wasn't it a French involvement initially?

Why did the US have to stick their noses in the S. Vietnam/French vs. N. Vietnam tussle?

It was no more the US's business than the British. Anyone can have an opinion on it.

Sure they can just as bands are under no obligation to talk about the foreign affairs of another country.

I don't see it as about "obligation" but interest. Obviously as Led Zeppelin were touring the world, the US especially, they were "involved" with many who DID speak about the war. I have NO DOUBT's they engaged in conversation about this, privately, and had their strong opinions. They may not have been published, but I know they didn't just ignore or have no interest in the Vietnam war.

I would bet the only one who would joke about it would be John Bonham. I could see him saying it was just a bunch of bullocks! :lol:

The anti-Vietnam war film Homer, released in 1970, featured the Led Zeppelin song "How Many More Times". I'm assuming they must have approved of it's inclusion, since during the management of Peter Grant they were reluctant, and to this day are still to some extent, to release any music on other products.

Meg

I don't see it as about "obligation" but interest. Obviously as Led Zeppelin were touring the world, the US especially, they were "involved" with many who DID speak about the war. I have NO DOUBT's they engaged in conversation about this, privately, and had their strong opinions. They may not have been published, but I know they didn't just ignore or have no interest in the Vietnam war.

I would bet the only one who would joke about it would be John Bonham. I could see him saying it was just a bunch of bullocks! :lol:

I've only seen him sing and voice his opinions. :D

Pearl Jam is my second fav band (Led Zeppelin #1 of course) and I have seen them 6 times. Eddie plays the guitar on occasion, more so when he, himself, opens up for the opening act at a Pearl Jam concert. Eddie has no problems voicing his opinion on politics. The band are vocal too, but Eddie especially.

Pearl Jam is my second fav band (Led Zeppelin #1 of course) and I have seen them 6 times. Eddie plays the guitar on occasion, more so when he, himself, opens up for the opening act at a Pearl Jam concert. Eddie has no problems voicing his opinion on politics. The band are vocal too, but Eddie especially.

Nice to meet ya fellow PJ fan! Not only do I agree with Eddies political leanings I respect that he has chosen to use his celebrity for good causes. He gives back...And his/their fans take up the causes. He's really contributed a lot to the betterment of the world....I respect that alot!

Archived