Led Zeppelin will play Finland 2009

Alick

Steve

as you probably know, Jimmy hitch-hiked across Scandinavia in the 60's. Do you know if he visited Finland back then? He did visit Sweden and there have been rumours he may have taken a ferry across to Finland.

It's certainly plausible. Whilst touring Scandanavia with The Yardbirds they performed

in Stockholm, Sweden (April 4th 1967 (unconfirmed) ) and it aired on Swedish radio.

On the afternoon of Thu, Apr 13th they arrived in Kastrup, Denmark to catch the boat to Arhus, Denmark for that night's gig at Boom. That leaves over a week of down time

to travel to or merely transit thru Finland enroute to Denmark from Sweden. Sometimes

old passports can be helpful in this regard. Jim McCarty's (Yardbirds) was used to help piece together the travel routing and performances during '67 Australia/Far East tour.

I'll see what I can find out.

More nonsense from the infamous Sun:

THAT LED ZEP reunion tour is getting further and further away from happening, due to a speech by JIMMY PAGE going down like a lead balloon.

ROBERT PLANT is furious his riff-slinging partner failed to thank him as he collected their gong at June’s MOJO Honours bash.

The Best Live Act award recognised their triumph at the O2 last December but Mercury-nominee Plant was on tour with his musical partner ALISON KRAUSS, so could not attend.

During his lengthy acceptance speech, Page did not refer to Plant once.

A source said: “Robert was really disappointed that he didn’t merit a mention. The award was for the band’s performance, so he thought he should have at least been thanked.”

"Lengthy acceptance speech?! :huh: Unless I missed something, Jimmy was up there for about thirty seconds...

Best of luck. It's the most difficult of the Scandinavian languages to learn.

I've got a few friends there (if they do play there).

We'll wait and see until something official is posted in the meantime.

Maybe we can get an interpreter for the article...

What language would you like the article in??? :D

R B)

Finland, Finland, Finland,

The country where I want to be,

Pony trekking or camping,

Or just watching TV.

Finland, Finland, Finland.

It's the country for me.

You're so near to Russia,

So far from Japan,

Quite a long way from Cairo,

Lots of miles from Vietnam.

Eating breakfast or dinner,

Or snack lunch in the hall.

Finland has it all.

You're so sadly neglected

And often ignored,

A poor second to Belgium,

When going abroad.

The country where I quite want to be,

Your mountains so lofty,

Your treetops so tall.

Finland has it all.

Your mountains so lofty,

Your treetops so tall.

Finland has it all.

Finland has it all.

Very nice Knebby. You seem to have Finland in your heart. :D

I have a very fond memory of hitching a ride as a teen (don't do it kids!) and the guy allowed my mate and I to put our mix-tape in his car stereo. This song came on and we were laughing our socks off - till the guy revealed he was Finnish without much of a sense of humour! :o Wrong person wrong time! :D

Pony trekking or camping,

Or just watching TV.

It's the country for me.

You're so near to Russia,

So far from Japan,

Quite a long way from Cairo,

Lots of miles from Vietnam.

Eating breakfast or dinner,

Or snack lunch in the hall.

Finland has it all.

You're so sadly neglected

And often ignored,

A poor second to Belgium,

When going abroad.

Your mountains so lofty,

Your treetops so tall.

Finland has it all.

Your mountains so lofty,

Your treetops so tall.

Finland has it all.

Finland has it all.

FINLAND HERE I COME! P.S. I like your "I Am The Walrus" quote. ROCK ON!

It's all speculation but quite many sites have been reporting these news. I won't believe anything until it's official though. I think Finland is an ideal place to start a tour because it's north so then you can gradually move to different directions (and you can also visit other scandinavian countries). If a tour is confirmed and it starts in Finland then I will be there the day when they start selling tickets (not hard because I live there :D ).

It's all speculation but quite many sites have been reporting these news. I won't believe anything until it's official though. I think Finland is an ideal place to start a tour because it's north so then you can gradually move to different directions (and you can also visit other scandinavian countries). If a tour is confirmed and it starts in Finland then I will be there the day when they start selling tickets (not hard because I live there :D ).

I hear ya! I won't believe anything till I read it on the Achilles Last Stand website on led-zeppelin.org. ROCK ON!

This in finnish news today:

"According to reliable sources Led Zeppelin will perform in Finland in late summer 2009 as part of their world tour".

The rest of the news is just reminiscent of their previous gig in Finland in 1970 and general info of the band, no details of other shows.

But you get the point. The dream is coming true.

I really wonder if it is so?????

Linda.

I really wonder if it is so?????

Linda.

The finnish media is very reliable (unlike in some countries), actually I can't remember the last time a "confirmed" rumour such as this proved to be false. This is the fact that got my hopes up, I firmly believe it is true. Had it been in The Sun or some other similar rag I would not have even read it through.

I contacted the Finland's biggest promoter (most likely one to bring LZ), the reply was: "Unfortunately we don't have confirmed information about this event yet".

Of course they can't confirm it before LZ confirms anything. It was not an automated reply, and they could have just said they have heard nothing about it.

The finnish media is very reliable (unlike in some countries), actually I can't remember the last time a "confirmed" rumour such as this proved to be false. This is the fact that got my hopes up, I firmly believe it is true. Had it been in The Sun or some other similar rag I would not have even read it through.

I contacted the Finland's biggest promoter (most likely one to bring LZ), the reply was: "Unfortunately we don't have confirmed information about this event yet".

Of course they can't confirm it before LZ confirms anything. It was not an automated reply, and they could have just said they have heard nothing about it.

This news isn't even breaking into google news yet, unlike all the other false rumors.

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=...tnG=Search+News

I wouldn't give it much credence.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's some good news from the BBC:

Led Zeppelin musicians Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and Jason Bonham have been working on new material.

Drummer Bonham told a radio station in Detroit that the songs could be destined for a new Led Zeppelin album.

Writing new material has been "on the cards" since the band's one-off reunion show in London last December, he told 94.7 WCSX.

But lead singer Robert Plant has not been involved in any of the sessions, he added.

'Phenomenal thing'

"At the moment, all I know is I have the great pleasure to go and jam with the two guys and start work on some material," he said.

"When I get there [in the studio] I never ask any questions. If I get a phone call to go and play, I enjoy every moment of it.

"Whatever it ends up as, to ever get a chance to jam with two people like that, it is a phenomenal thing for me. It's my life. It's what I've dreamed about doing."

He added: "Lots of politics [would need to] get ironed out [before an album could be made]."

Led Zeppelin played their first concert in 19 years, in front of nearly 20,000 fans, at London's 02 arena in December.

Their two-hour set opened with Good Times Bad Times - the first track of their debut album.

Original band members Page, Plant and Jones were joined on stage by Jason Bonham - the son of their late drummer John.

Archived