"When I grow up I want to be...."

Little Miss

To the aspiring Egyptologists (because people always try to talk you out of the more interesting career paths): I took an Egyptology course in college, taught, of course, by an actual Egyptologist. So they exist! You can be one! And at least one of them is employed, too! :)

thank you for the support :P

but I already have some ideas for the case that I wont get the chance to Egyptologist...

I want to be a musical historian...so that I can study the history of all my fav artists...like Led Zeppelin :whistling:

Having said that - don't lose confidence in yourself and your abilities and don't think just because someone is older than you they know better than you.

Absolutely. You can continue following your dream with a safety net, or temporary safety net hopefully. When there's something you love to do, you have to find a way to do it.

When I was a little girl at the age of five I wanted to become a firefighter, a superhero or a viking.

Right know, at the age of fiveteen, I´d like to become a journalist or a teacher.

But the best would be, if I earn enough money with doing, what I like to do: Writing. No matter, if I write poems or for a newspaper(What I already do; I`m working for our schoolnewspaper)

I don´t want to spend forty years of my life or even more with something boring everyday, the best job is a job you really like to do, and not just for the money.

:lol: Cutest thing ever!

You already seem well on your way, good for you. If you're curious about different fields, try volunteering. It's great for experience and contacts, and you get a feel for your fit without spending years on schooling only to find it's not what you want to do.

There are literally thousands of books on the writing craft. Many are bad, a few, like John Gardner's On Becoming a Novelist and The Art of Fiction, are good. Not sure these would suit you at this point in your writing life, but they're very valuable resources should you continue to pursue writing fiction.

Reading about other writers is often helpful because writing can be solitary and has this aura about it where people start to question your sanity, intentions ('writer' often gets interpreted as 'unemployed'), and worst or all, ability. It's a craft, and like all crafts, there may be a natural talent, but that will only get you so far without putting in the work. Knowing what other writers went through offers support through the hard times.

The best advice I ever got about writing: ass to chair, pen to paper. Every day. That, and Read. A lot.

When I was young I wanted to write. I'm still working on it.

Best of luck to you.

Cheers,

P

I know what it's like to choose a career which has no guarantees of security, money or anything else (I work in film). The reactions most family/friends had and still have is that it's not a 'real job' or they say 'how hard it is' or some other rubbish. The fact of the matter is I know that this is the right job for me, and while it may be more difficult and less secure than many other jobs, I would be miserable doing anything else.

Some people just don't/can't understand why you would want to do something creative. Some people think if you aren't wielding a hammer or being an accountant, you're not doing something worthwhile. Don't listen to the dream-crushers, they are either ignorant or jealous.

I agree with you on that. My parents especially worry about where I'm going. And I tell them not to.. but at the same time I'm thinking that I can't really expect them not to worry. It's just something I'll have to accept. And hopefully in time things will start to become more stable. I am completely miserable when I get stuck in a mundane routine.

Absolutely. You can continue following your dream with a safety net, or temporary safety net hopefully. When there's something you love to do, you have to find a way to do it.

That's what I'm hoping for. Really.. for me, it either I go to college for art, and try to work things out that way. Or, I can wait tables or whatever just to get me by, while in the meantime working on my art, and trying to get the word out about doing commissions and stuff like that. I really would much rather have that sort of freedom to develop on my own time, rather than in a structured college environment. Although I'll probably be living the stereotype of the 'struggling artist', I think it will be the most rewarding for me in the long run, at least in a personal sense. Maybe not monetarily...but I guess I'll just have to hope, and work really hard for the best.

The list of what I wanted to be is so long.

It includes: Astrophysican, Astronaut, Historian, Archeologist, fashion designer, Mechanic...

It's time left for me until I have to decide, but in the moment I dream of being a musician (studying viola, jazz guitar and violin, maybe piano) or a writer or a hobo...

I think in the end it will be the musician, because my parents would rather die than see me as a hobo.

I don't care for money money can't buy me love. That's what I think about jobs.

Best of luck with that:)

You already seem well on your way, good for you. If you're curious about different fields, try volunteering. It's great for experience and contacts, and you get a feel for your fit without spending years on schooling only to find it's not what you want to do.

There are literally thousands of books on the writing craft. Many are bad, a few, like John Gardner's On Becoming a Novelist and The Art of Fiction, are good. Not sure these would suit you at this point in your writing life, but they're very valuable resources should you continue to pursue writing fiction.

Reading about other writers is often helpful because writing can be solitary and has this aura about it where people start to question your sanity, intentions ('writer' often gets interpreted as 'unemployed'), and worst or all, ability. It's a craft, and like all crafts, there may be a natural talent, but that will only get you so far without putting in the work. Knowing what other writers went through offers support through the hard times.

The best advice I ever got about writing: ass to chair, pen to paper. Every day. That, and Read. A lot.

Best of luck to you.

Cheers,

P

I thought that was so cute too :lol: I wish you both the best:)

thank you for the support :P

but I already have some ideas for the case that I wont get the chance to Egyptologist...

I want to be a musical historian...so that I can study the history of all my fav artists...like Led Zeppelin :whistling:

I also want to go into music. Except I'd like to open up a music store and sell vinyl.

I also want to go into music. Except I'd like to open up a music store and sell vinyl.

Best of luck to you, too:) Music is also my second passion. It's just as important to me as drawing and painting are. And that's wonderful about wanting to open up a vinyl shop.. I wish there were more of those around. I really feel as though I'm missing out, being stuck with CDs.

When I was a kid I wanted to be an airline pilot. Unfortunately I had terrible eyesight and there was no such thing as laser surgery in those days.

Thirty-odd years on, and I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up ... :blink:

I thought that was so cute too :lol: I wish you both the best:)

Thanks, Sugarplum! I knew someone who got very disillusioned with a fine arts program he was in. The focus was abstract rather classical drawing, and he grew frustrated because the more a drawing looked like something the worse his mark was. It actually caused him to stop drawing for a while. In time he worked on his portfolio and got into another school where things were much better. The point is that while developing your own style is the ultimate goal, knowing fundamentals is crucial. Even though it doesn't look like it, Picasso and Dali knew them, and that's why when they broke rules there were intelligent choices behind it. Some form of instruction can help. It's not even that you wouldn't get there on your own, but it sure eliminates a lot of trial and error.

I get that school can be tedious and too regimented, but its benefits may make it worth you. You learn to give feedback, deal with getting feedback, hone your instincts about it (some opinions are better than others), and school opens doors. Some have professionals that come to look at students' work and recruit them. But if you're totally averse to school, have you considered an art mentor or a private teacher? That environment might suit you better.

Best of luck to you too :D

Cheers,

P

Having an "impractical" major doesn't necessarily doom you to poverty, either. Many people's jobs are not directly related to their majors. You can study the humanities and still get a "safe" day job.

It is known in the world of business and management that often the best managers have Literature majors. It's also a statistic that 90% of CEOs read at least 1 non-work related book per month.

What does this mean? I believe it is about critical/lateral thinking, and people who value literature tend to be more open minded.

My point is, people who do straight Business Administration studies know only that one narrow field. Someone who has broader, less 'practical' education can be better managers because they are freer thinkers.

I'm coming to the sad conclusion that almost everyone ends up doing a job that in no way coincides with the dream they had for themeselves with they were young - convenience and money seem to become the greater priority..

My ambition is still to be a writer, preferably freelance... but we'll see. Writing is all I want to do, it's all I can do well. I have a vague plan of how I'm going to do it and I'm certain I'm ambitious and determined enough.

What were your original, childhood fantasy jobs? Did you get anywhere close? If not, why?

I'd like some hope... that not everyone ends up hating the monotonous meaninglessness of their job, and resents themselves for not doing what they wanted...

PS.

If this has been done before, sue me. I'm really not arsed with checking through every single page of threads to check it's not been done before. So sorry, whatever :)

You're right, many don't do what they "dream" of. Being a writer is very difficult. So competitive. But if that's your dream, get your education and focus on something like literature or communications and maybe you can make a great career out of it. My cousin's dream was to be a writer (he is now 47). He almost went to law school after majoring in Political Science, but instead kept his dream of writing. He worked in advertising for years and has done writing in that area and written for tv shows, though i don't much about his successes. He has lived in Manhattan for close to 20 years now. The point of my story is, follow your dream and maybe it will come true. But to be smart, have a back up plan, lol.

As a teen my only thoughts were to be an actress (as many young girls fantasize of) or a rock star groupie, lol. I didn't become either one...

I'm doing the same stuff I liked to do as a kid, so I'm happy :D Took me a long time to get full circle, though. I got off track for awhile, there. I think it could actually be heplful to consider what we liked to do the most, as opposed to what we may have fantasized about.

When I was younger, I wanted to be a doctor. I had a little lab coat, a little doctor's kit bag....whole nine yards. Of course when I got older and realized the amount of money it would take to do it, and the fact that I am also very squeamish around blood, it soon became but a dream.

The thread title does remind me of this, though:

I will forever have that jingle stuck in my head.

When I was a kid I wanted to be an airline pilot. Unfortunately I had terrible eyesight and there was no such thing as laser surgery in those days.

Thirty-odd years on, and I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up ... :blink:

terrible eyesight used to hinder you in the 70's, but no longer...you just need to have vision corrected to 20/20 with contacts/glasses...and if it is your dream, thirty is still not too late to start...if you want it bad enough you can make it happen...

...when i grow up i want to fly aid for an ngo in africa...

Best of luck to you.

Cheers,

P

Thanks, I´ll try my best ,I promise! ^_^

Thanks, Sugarplum! I knew someone who got very disillusioned with a fine arts program he was in. The focus was abstract rather classical drawing, and he grew frustrated because the more a drawing looked like something the worse his mark was. It actually caused him to stop drawing for a while. In time he worked on his portfolio and got into another school where things were much better. The point is that while developing your own style is the ultimate goal, knowing fundamentals is crucial. Even though it doesn't look like it, Picasso and Dali knew them, and that's why when they broke rules there were intelligent choices behind it. Some form of instruction can help. It's not even that you wouldn't get there on your own, but it sure eliminates a lot of trial and error.

I get that school can be tedious and too regimented, but its benefits may make it worth you. You learn to give feedback, deal with getting feedback, hone your instincts about it (some opinions are better than others), and school opens doors. Some have professionals that come to look at students' work and recruit them. But if you're totally averse to school, have you considered an art mentor or a private teacher? That environment might suit you better.

Best of luck to you too :D

Cheers,

P

Thanks so much, Patrycja:) That's a wise perspecitve, and I try to keep those points in mind. I went to school for a while, and the same thing happened to me. I began to hate drawing, and rarely even drew for enjoyment anymore. They were having us draw still lifes of kitchen utensils and a piece of fabric draped over a chair or something. And I did not feel my teacher was helping me to grow. I believe there are most likely teachers, and courses out there that would suit learning better, but that's not how it was in my case. I would much rather prefer to learn how to draw by drawing things that I'm interested in, and at the same time, be sure to focus on expanding my skills. I acknowledge that I have to learn the fundamentals, and I often do research on my own when I am trying to understand a certain technique, etc.

As for a personal art teacher.. I would love that.. an apprenticeship type of thing. However, I live in a VERY small town, and I have yet to move away from my parents' place. So.. I'm not quite sure how I could get into something like that. But thanks for the suggestions! It'll give me something to think about:)

I would say B is the closest you came to. They should have all the qualities you admire in a person, they should not have the qualities you dislike in a person. , and they should have the looks you have alway desired.

B was the only option I meant seriously.

The problem is that what you described is not "ideal" but rather unrealistic.

Archived