Jonesy: when/why did he use a pick?

Bluefalcon

It always seemed that Jonesy was a finger player, but I do recall seeing some pics of him using a pick. Anyone know if there was any rhyme or reason for this, or just personal whim for him? (I play bass with fingers and find it very hard to go back to a pick...)

Here is the answer you are searching for:

"When and why would you switch from playing fingerstyle to playing pickstyle?

My preference is fingerstyle, but I often had to play with a pick in the session days, so I got quite used to it. I can play “Immigrant Song” with my fingers, but it just sounds better with a pick. Same with “Black Dog.” It just gives you different phrasing, and a more metallic, guitar-y sound. I didn’t see any reason not to swap one for another if the occasion demanded it."

Bass Player Magazine

By Brian Fox | January, 2008

Yes it's not uncommon for good bass players to alternate between the two techniques. It totally depends on the sound you want to make. I do it myself (even though I'm a guitar player and just fake being a bassist to record my own songs-see link below) and it is a distinct difference in style and sound and sometimes the sound of a pick is great! Love it!

Here is the answer you are searching for:

"When and why would you switch from playing fingerstyle to playing pickstyle?"

JPJ: "My preference is fingerstyle, but I often had to play with a pick in the session days, so I got quite used to it. I can play “Immigrant Song” with my fingers, but it just sounds better with a pick. Same with “Black Dog.” It just gives you different phrasing, and a more metallic, guitar-y sound. I didn’t see any reason not to swap one for another if the occasion demanded it."

Bass Player Magazine

By Brian Fox | January, 2008

Archived