Barack Obama in Berlin

SteveAJones

Yes I meant for President. I guess my issue is, and I know you've heard it before. They promise the moon and then when elected things are as always. Mostly corruption and not pulling through on pre innauguration promises. Yeah, mostly I'm conservative.

And it would seem to me that Barrack is making way more pie and the sky promises than McCain. Social programs, raising taxes.... not a good thing for an already slow economy.

That's one of my problems. I'm fiscally conservative but socially liberal. What I can not tolerate from the Republican party is their socialy conservatism. I want more personal freedom than the Repulican party offers.....

I'm not happy with how the Republican party squandered their power and their chance to be fiscally conservative, at least on domestic spending. A war is always going to be an expense, but I don't equate that part as not being fiscally conservative.

But I also don't think one can necesarily lump McCain in with the rest.

And it would seem to me that Barrack is making way more pie and the sky promises than McCain. Social programs, raising taxes.... not a good thing for an already slow economy.

I'm not happy with how the Republican party squandered their power and their chance to be fiscally conservative, at least on domestic spending. A war is always going to be an expense, but I don't equate that part as not being fiscally conservative.

But I also don't think one can necesarily lump McCain in with the rest.

No worries. I'm votiing conservative.

I don't need all the empty mouth running. Shit, if your gonna say something, make it smart.

That's one of my problems. I'm fiscally conservative but socially liberal. What I can not tolerate from the Republican party is their socialy conservatism. I want more personal freedom than the Repulican party offers.....

Medhb,I always enjoy reading your posts.You've got a great head on your shoulders.Please tell me in your words what "socially liberal"means to you.I don't ever recall a succinct definition from acquaintances or the press which satisfied me.Same with fiscal consevative.How do you define these terms?

Medhb,I always enjoy reading your posts.You've got a great head on your shoulders.Please tell me in your words what "socially liberal"means to you.I don't ever recall a succinct definition from acquaintances or the press which satisfied me.Same with fiscal consevative.How do you define these terms?

You should follow your gut and not listen to all these catch phrases people make up.

Trust me on this one.

No worries. I'm votiing conservative.

I don't need all the empty mouth running. Shit, if your gonna say something, make it smart.

Well, I wouldn't exactly call McCain a conservative. It's just that Obama is further to the left than any Democrat nominee of record.

Btw, don't be a smartass to the Thunderchief.

Not a very good conservative policy.

flamethrower.gif

Well, I wouldn't exactly call McCain a conservative. It's just that Obama is further to the left than any Democrat nominee of record.

flamethrower.gif

If you will. Show me where I've been a smart ass to you?

Please tell me in your words what "socially liberal"means to you.I don't ever recall a succinct definition from acquaintances or the press which satisfied me.Same with fiscal consevative.How do you define these terms?

Fiscal conservatism is a political phrase term used in North America to describe advocacy of lower governmental spending practices and a lower federal deficit; It is used to define someone who is an advocate of less government, fewer entitlement programs, earmarks, and lower taxes.

Social liberalism, also called new liberalism (as it was originally termed), or in North America and the United Kingdom simply liberalism, is a branch of liberalism which contends that society must protect liberty and opportunity for all citizens and that the state may have a role on this. For social liberals the lack of education, health, or employment is seen as a major threat to the freedom of state compulsion and coercion.

Like other liberals, social liberals support (with qualifications) free markets, private entrepreneurship and a small state. Social liberalism may also refer, as it usually does in the media, to support for among other things educational reform, civil rights, human rights and civil liberties, particularly in opposition to traditional values and beliefs. In this second sense, the liberal equivalent of social conservatism, one may therefore be socially liberal but economically conservative as in neo-liberalism, but in the first sense social liberalism clearly deals with the economic as well as social dimension of politics. Social liberals support a mixed economy of mainly private enterprise with some state provided, guaranteed or regulated public services. For example, some social liberals defend obligatory universal health insurance, with the state paying a basic health insurance to the most poor of the society.

Like all liberals, social liberals believe in individual freedom as a central concept. In the process, they expect legitimate governments to provide a basic level of welfare or workfare, health and education, supported by taxation, intending to secure economic opportunities for all, enable the best use of the talents of the population, prevent revolution, or simply for the perceived public good, and they accept some restrictions in economic affairs, such as anti-trust laws to combat economic monopolies and regulatory bodies or minimum wage laws. Moreover, the accumulation of wealth by a small group is seen as the consolidation of power within a small faction of society and, therefore, seen as a threat to liberty.

flamethrower.gif

Look at an atlas. O is even to the left of Guam.

Fiscal conservatism is a political phrase term used in North America to describe advocacy of lower governmental spending practices and a lower federal deficit; It is used to define someone who is an advocate of less government, fewer entitlement programs, earmarks, and lower taxes.

Social liberalism, also called new liberalism (as it was originally termed), or in North America and the United Kingdom simply liberalism, is a branch of liberalism which contends that society must protect liberty and opportunity for all citizens and that the state may have a role on this. For social liberals the lack of education, health, or employment is seen as a major threat to the freedom of state compulsion and coercion.

Like other liberals, social liberals support (with qualifications) free markets, private entrepreneurship and a small state. Social liberalism may also refer, as it usually does in the media, to support for among other things educational reform, civil rights, human rights and civil liberties, particularly in opposition to traditional values and beliefs. In this second sense, the liberal equivalent of social conservatism, one may therefore be socially liberal but economically conservative as in neo-liberalism, but in the first sense social liberalism clearly deals with the economic as well as social dimension of politics. Social liberals support a mixed economy of mainly private enterprise with some state provided, guaranteed or regulated public services. For example, some social liberals defend obligatory universal health insurance, with the state paying a basic health insurance to the most poor of the society.

Like all liberals, social liberals believe in individual freedom as a central concept. In the process, they expect legitimate governments to provide a basic level of welfare or workfare, health and education, supported by taxation, intending to secure economic opportunities for all, enable the best use of the talents of the population, prevent revolution, or simply for the perceived public good, and they accept some restrictions in economic affairs, such as anti-trust laws to combat economic monopolies and regulatory bodies or minimum wage laws. Moreover, the accumulation of wealth by a small group is seen as the consolidation of power within a small faction of society and, therefore, seen as a threat to liberty.

Wow SAJ! You took the words right outta my mouth!! :lol:

I would never have been able to state it so eloquently but yeah, that about sums it up for me! :)

Hi Jabe! Thanks so much for the kind words! And SAJ was sweet enough to put into words my feelings toward how our society should run... :)

Steve, do you live up the street from me?In Birmingham,Alabama?I recall a conversation with a neighbor some time back along these lines,but I recall no cool English accent.(I imagine you have one)

It's not a zero-sum game.

Steve, do you live up the street from me?In Birmingham,Alabama?I recall a conversation with a neighbor some time back along these lines,but I recall no cool English accent.(I imagine you have one) It's not a zero-sum game.

Been through Alabama the Beautiful a few times over the years but do not reside there.

:hysterical:

So we've got more than one serpent in our Garden of Eden and I'd like to hear what Hermit has to say... :)

Hemit could never be the serpent...

maybe a lizard with a bad attitude,

but never anything as important as the serpent.

Although there used to be this guy here named ~Scratch who did a really great evil snake thing. But alas he was banished from Eden forever.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...ideoID=13293829

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...ideoid=15559758

So if you meet him, have some sympathy.....

~665

natch!

:D

Wow SAJ! You took the words right outta my mouth!! :lol:

I would never have been able to state it so eloquently but yeah, that about sums it up for me! :)

And if you look up social liberalism in wikipedia it says the same damn thing, pretty much word for word.Did he write up that particular entry? :rolleyes:

Steve is Sprung....

Why in the world would anyone go through the trouble of typing up something that's already clearly defined. I appreciate that he took the trouble to find the proper definition and post it for me. Thank you SAJ. The question was answered to my satisfaction and I would think to all who wondered about it...

Why in the world would anyone go through the trouble of typing up something that's already clearly defined. I appreciate that he took the trouble to find the proper definition and post it for me. Thank you SAJ. The question was answered to my satisfaction and I would think to all who wondered about it...

Well,it's not hard cite where your information came from.Otherwise it appears to be that you wrote it yourself which isn't the case.It's flat out plagiarism.

People get sued for that every day,God forbid that it happens to our very own SAJ :rolleyes:

^ SAJ in a nutshell.

:rolleyes:

He copies text from somehwere else, gets praised for his eloquence, doesn't correct anybody, others point this out and ^ there you go.

He must have pictures of 98% of the members of this board in a compromising situation.

^ SAJ in a nutshell.

:rolleyes:

He copies text from somehwere else, gets praised for his eloquence, doesn't correct anybody, others point this out and ^ there you go.

He must have pictures of 98% of the members of this board in a compromising situation.

Hi Hickory! Would it make it any better if I retract my praise of 'his' eloquence? :D

Ya know, there's good money in being an information provider...our firm pays a LOT of money to other people for information....of course we package it all together citing sources and making business recommendations.

Just want to keep the disagreements on an opinion level and not a personal level...ya know? :hippy:

Archived