Page/Edge/White Documentary

Dandu

Pagey fans (especially all you ladies), will be in rapture. :D

I will have to agree with this. :wub:

Loved when they showed his solo from STH (Earls Court - which surprised me.) You could just tell everyone in the room was focused on the legend. For me, those few moments is what defined the movie for me. Absolute perfection in ALL aspects... talent, looks, attitude, skill, and just about everything else under the sun.

Another review:

It Might Get Chummy

Simon Houpt, today at 1:11 PM EDT

Just received a missive on my Blackberry from my colleague Guy Dixon, who will be at the 3 p.m. press conference at the Sutton Place for the new documentary by Davis Guggenheim (An Inconvenient Truth) titled It Might Get Loud, about the electric guitar. Guy was at the screening last night, and reports thus:

It wasn't a festival crowd jamming the Ryerson Theatre last night for the documentary It Might Get Loud. It was a rock crowd (albeit of the well-behaved Toronto variety). Then in came the dignitaries, none other than Jimmy Page, U2's The Edge and Jack White of The White Stripes. All wore de-rigueur black, but in their own expected ways. Page had on a long top coat, his new white hair shoulder-length. He was clearly the legend among the guitar legends, taking his seat in the theatre and smiling with that sour-lemon smile of his, the same face he always made during the Stairway to Heaven solo. The Edge looked neat as usual under his obligatory skull cap. (If Page can muster the courage to go gray, feel free to ditch the skull cap, Edge.) White was in usual sartorial splendor, a kind of New Orleans vaudevillian man, with a pork pie hat and tie (in fact, so well decked out it would be a surprise if White didn't have a stylist).

The best glimpse of them came when they appeared on stage for a brief post-screening Q&A. The Edge, who said that this was the first time he had seen the finished film, immediately joked that he regretted his choice of clothing in the film. Presumably he means the concert clip from U2's Pop Mart era, with his vaguely gay cowboy look with the muscle anatomy print. White, swinging between humour and earnestness, said it was "great to find out these guys were in bands too. I look forward to hearing their albums one days," gesturing toward the much older Page and Edge. As to their very different styles, White added about The Edge, "he's got more [effects] pedals."

The Edge retorted, "I'm older than he is," joking that the pedals are a crutch for old age. To which White responded that he may stop going the minimalist route and take up effects pedals too, "one day when I'm older." White's wife, model Karen Elson, bent over in her seat in an oh-no-I-can't-believe-he-just-said-that fashion.

Then came the burning question of the night just before the trio were whisked away to a very large (and as it turned out, not very exclusive - or even very loud) after-party given for the film at the SoHo Metropolitan Hotel on Wellington: Which one and only guitar would you choose to have among your collection of guitars on a desert island? (Agh! The obligatory desert-island rock hagiography!)

White's choice: Page's guitars. (He was half joking.) Page's choice: White's guitars. The Edge's choice? His old, trusty, wedge-shaped hunk of wood, better known as a Gibson Explorer. As innovative as his music may be, The Edge was never known for visuals

Zep 4 Life - you may want to whip over to the Sutton Place to see if you can get into that press conference... I am, unfortunately, stuck at the office. Especially unfortunate because I could hit a golf ball from my place to the Sutton Place.

Okay, I'm sure I'm a day late and a dollar short, but this looks like it was just added on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTm3lmoCWVY-

Jimmy , Edge and Jack doing stand up at Toronto, 3 min. long.

ps- Jimmy looks like the White Haired Grand Wizard, or something Snape-like, with the long black flowing jacket ensamble; very respectable indeed! :D

(Snape- best character in the whole damn H.Potter series...)

Super duper , gigantenormous colossal thanks to Dandu and Boogie With Stu !!!!!

Without the help of good people some of the best things in life just wouldn't happen.

I made it to the press conference and once again taped JP .

This is just too much for just under a 24 hour period.

I am also writing about this in my other thread so sorry for the dual identity-- lol.

I'm also thinking now of heading to the Foo Fighter's this evening.

It's almost a no brainer . Another encore with JP sounds possible.

Life is good and the TIFF has been a real thrill this year.

smiles 4 miles

Peace

Without the help of good people some of the best things in life just wouldn't happen.

I am also writing about this in my other thread so sorry for the dual identity-- lol.

Life is good and the TIFF had been a real thrill this year.

smiles 4 miles

Peace

So glad it worked out! Can't wait to see the footage. To think, Jimmy Page was a stones throw away from my condo!!!

Life is good and the TIFF has been a real thrill this year.

smiles 4 miles

Peace

Let us know if you go to the Foos' show and if the great one makes an appearance. Give us the lowdown.

It Might Get Loud: TIFF press conference diaries

Posted: September 06, 2008, 4:40 PM by Adam McDowell

TIFF 2008

“I think the interesting thing about this movie is there are millions of guitar players out there. This is just three of them.”

So observed Jack White at the It Might Get Loud press conference Saturday afternoon as Jimmy Page and The Edge looked on with a whole lotta love in their eyes.

We learn the following in Davis Guggenheim’s documentary about the electric guitar’s pre-eminent ambassadors: As a young man in economically depressed Dublin during the 1970s, the Edge was losing hope for his country. Jack White grew up in a predominantly Mexican neighbourhood in Detroit where hip-hop was king and playing blues guitar invited ridicule. Having to play bland music bummed out Jimmy Page when he was a young session musician.

Before it got loud, they talked quietly. Guggenheim started the process by holding marathon three-hour, one-on-one talks with each of the axemen behind closed hotel room doors — because behind the power chords are powerful feelings. Plus, guitarists are used to communicating to the world through their fingers, less so with their words.

By the time the three got together, their jam sesh looked something like a healing circle.

“I learned a lot about these guys," said Page, “but I also learned quite a lot about myself.”

And: “I’m a firm believer that when someone becomes proficient at an instrument, their character shines through.”

Call it string therapy.

THE WIT STRIPES

Jack White might look at times like a creature that crawled out of a Tim Burton movie (yes, he’s that pale in real life, too), so it’s a surprise that he cracks wiser than most — at least when it comes to Jimmy Page jokes.

It Might Get Loud shares a producer, Thomas Tull, with The Dark Knight. Jack White on why he signed up for It Might Get Loud: “I thought Jimmy was going to make a fantastic Batman. Then I found out it wasn't that kind of movie.”

In the film, on meeting The Edge and Page: “What’s going to happen? Probably a fist fight.”

On what he would say to inspire young musicians: “I would tell young musicians like Jimmy, ‘Don’t lose hope.’ ”

But seriously. On watching Page play Whole Lotta Love right in front of his eyes: “You kind of put everything aside for a second — ‘Let’s enjoy this.’ ”

THE TUNE REMAINS THE SAME

Jimmy Page on Led Zeppelin reunion album rumours: No Plant means zero Zep. “We did one date [in London last December]. That’s it.”

I will have to agree with this. :wub:

Loved when they showed his solo from STH (Earls Court - which surprised me.) You could just tell everyone in the room was focused on the legend. For me, those few moments is what defined the movie for me. Absolute perfection in ALL aspects... talent, looks, attitude, skill, and just about everything else under the sun.

Tip of the iceberg, that was! Yeah it was so personal, I would love it if somebody followed up with a more in-depth look at and with Pagey himself. Hear this documentary makers??? The incredible thing is that there's so much more info about him, his musical styles and influences (so cool how he was all excited when explaining how that vinyl song he played moved him, and the details of what they were doing with the guitar; same thing with White and Son House). He seems to keep his cards pretty close to his chest, and gave us a glimpse. I'd just want a few more peaks :D

p.s. glad to hear you got a ticket, Roxie. It sounded for a while like you wouldn't be able to make it...P

It Might Get Loud: TIFF press conference diaries

Posted: September 06, 2008, 4:40 PM by Adam McDowell

TIFF 2008

THE TUNE REMAINS THE SAME

Jimmy Page on Led Zeppelin reunion album rumours: No Plant means zero Zep. “We did one date [in London last December]. That’s it.”

Heartbreaker! :P

But like I said, I don't really mind that so much so long as it doesn't stop JP from touring and playing altogether. If anything this documentary has reinforced, it's that he's got it in spades (the same can't be said for many of his contemporaries), and it's clear what he thrives on - creativity, exploration and performance. Biological research - ahahahahahaha!

Before it got loud, they talked quietly. Guggenheim started the process by holding marathon three-Jimmy Page on Led Zeppelin reunion album rumours: No Plant means zero Zep. “We did one date [in London last December]. That’s it.”

Thank God. That brat better come out something instrumental or I'm gonna strangle him B)

The last thing a good conversation about a film and it's brilliance needs is another speculation on LZ reunion rumors.

We all want to know , and feel strongly , but save it for the reunion thread.

Just me --- sorry.

Just wondering if you read my response to Dandu...at all? It's not about LZ reunion speculation, the context is JP's response at a presser for the film.

Just wondering if you read my response to Dandu...at all? It's not about LZ reunion speculation, the context is JP's response at a presser for the film.

To be honest I was a little vague , and leaning more to the anti-reunion portions so --

You got me there --- nice.

I was only trying to deflect the usual barrage of typical hypothesis.

Sometimes we need to amuse ourselves.

Seriously , your discussion is true and speaks volumes about the depth of JP's character.

Character in many regards.

A full out documentary featuring singlehandedly JP material would certainly be respected.

And I believe that Guggenheim would or could be worthy of that task.

Once again , more speculative thinking.

After contemplating your question I began deepening my wishful thoughts .

As we all do .

Oh how Jimmy does tantalize.

Cheers

A full out documentary featuring singlehandedly JP material would certainly be respected.

And I believe that Guggenheim would or could be worthy of that task.

Once again , more speculative thinking.

After contemplating your question I began deepening my wishful thoughts .

It's less about who is 'worthy' - it's about who could get Page to agree to do something like that. Now, Guggenheim has built up a relationship with Page on this one, which means he would be more likely to agree, but Guggenheim might not want to do a Page doco, as it would be typecasting him as a rock-doc director.

Archived