Page/Edge/White Documentary

Dandu

4. A scene where the Edge and Jack White start singing and trying to harmonize and Jimmy looks at them nervously and says "I can't help you, I can't sing".

That was one of my fave parts too. Pretty funny especially when the audience howled with laughter along with him. :lol:

I'll start.

The film was great, especially if you are a guitar player, though anyone will enjoy it. I was lucky enough to get down there early and was only 20 people from the front. When my buddy and I got towards the front entrance, the rock god himself showed up and all hell broke loose. I have to say, for a 64 year old man, he looks fantastic. At this point I was only about 10 feet away from him and I think I almost pissed my pants. He arrived with an older gentlemen. Anyone know who that was?

My buddy and I had really good seats, about 10 rows from the front and to the right of the stage. When Jimmy walked in, we were only a few feet from him. The reception this guy gets is phenomenal.

As he was leaving in his limo to go, we were about two feet from him. I know this distance thing is nuts but I'm on cloud 9 right now. For me, this was a once in a lifetime opportunity to get close to Page.

As for the film, it was really neat to see how enthusiastic he gets when he is playing some of his favourite records, like playing air guitar. What was also neat was when he went back to Headley Grange and you get to see where When the Levee breaks was recorded. (surprised how small the staircase is) They also have him on the lawn playing Battle of Evermore on the mandolin as well as some vintage footage of Zep dancing around on the grounds while they recorded there. The best is when he drops into Whole Lotta Love and The Edge and Jack White look like two little kids who see Santa for the first time. (the looks on their faces was priceless) At one point, The Edge is showing him one of his signature songs and Page was questioning him on whether or not he (The Edge) chose the right chord progression for the song he wrote. This was hilarious.

Page, White and The Edge had a pretty cool jam session that started off from In My Time of Dying. All three were playing slide. I think the highlight for me was seeing/hearing some new stuff from my idol entitled Embryonic 2. I think it was in an alternate tuning. (99.9% sure)

I am really curious as to who the older gentlmen with him was. When my friend and I sat down, this gentlemen sat right behind us and I almost shit myself as with him there, I knew Page was going to be with him. (overheard the staff say that the seats were to be given to no one under any circumstances) I was a little disappointed when the gentlemen left and took his proper seat in the centre of the theatre.

This is a little rambling as I still can't believe what a night it was. Page looks great and his playing is top notch. This legend really needs to start playing in public more.

Everyone needs to see this film!

Estofest,

Great, detailed reporting job. The documentary sounds fantastic with a lot of Zep and Embryo Parts I and II. Can't wait to here these new Page tunes and see the film. Well done!

The hair "Free at last, free at last!"

82685976.jpg

:)

Any idea when this might start hitting theaters? And then go to DVD?!!

Thanks to all for the wonderful reports!

Thanks for all the pics everyone! Glad to hear he had such a great time. I would love to get this on DVD! :D

The hair "Free at last, free at last!"

82685976.jpg

:)

One other thing I loved - and this is probably more for the female fans of Jimmy - is when he was going through his records and put on a song by Link Wray. He just kept smiling into the camera in completely mesmerizing way. Much like the picture above! It's been mentioned before, but I gotta say it again... he looks FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC!! B)

Dandu,

I have to agree that the point when Jimmy says he can't sing was hilarious. That being said, he certainly made up for it with a nice little solo on The Band's 'The Weight'. For everyone else, the three of them were playing this at the end of the movie, on acoustic, and it sounded REALLY nice. I'm getting chills thinking about this again.

Anyone know where the after party was?

Estofest & Dandu and others, thanks for the excellent reviews and posting the photos. I am looking forward to seeing this film when it is released (hopefully soon).

The older gentleman with Jimmy....perhaps his agent, bodyguard....Ross?

Jimmy's hair is so long....reminds me of his hair back in the day only it's all white but it's still beautiful.....:blush:

It's so nice to see Jimmy happy, healthy & out and about again....the Olympics, Toronto Film Festival, project with JPJ & Jason. It's been a good 2007-2008 in the LZ world. :D

Estofest & Dandu and others, thanks for the excellent reviews and posting the photos. I am looking forward to seeing this film when it is released (hopefully soon).

The older gentleman with Jimmy....perhaps his agent, bodyguard....Ross?

Jimmy's hair is so long....reminds me of his hair back in the day only it's all white but it's still beautiful.....:blush:

It's so nice to see Jimmy happy, healthy & out and about again....the Olympics, Toronto Film Festival, project with JPJ & Jason. It's been a good 2007-2008 in the LZ world. :D

Yeah, it's really exciting to be a LZ fan these days! And it's great that we have this great forum where we can talk to each other LZ fan all over the world.

I really look forward to seeing the film on DVD. Does anybody know whether the film will ever be avalible on DVD???

It was at the SoHo Metropolitan hotel. I didn't manage to get down there, but I don't imagine it would have been an easy one to get into.

No word yet on whether they jammed.

Dandu,

I have to agree that the point when Jimmy says he can't sing was hilarious. That being said, he certainly made up for it with a nice little solo on The Band's 'The Weight'. For everyone else, the three of them were playing this at the end of the movie, on acoustic, and it sounded REALLY nice. I'm getting chills thinking about this again.

It was cool seeing you down there estofest , didn't run into Dandu , sorry , and it was also a thrill to hook up with Roxie before the screening.

I just got back from the P/I showing at 12PM today.

I didn't get in , and nobody from the film appeared.

An insider claimed that the after party was held at a hotel called " Zoho " or something to that effect. No jam took place and according to the source is doubtful.

Also, it was mentioned that the older gray haired gentleman that arrived in JP's car at the beginning was non other then Ronnie Hawkins. I'm still not sure about that one.

I really look forward to seeing the film on DVD. Does anybody know whether the film will ever be avalible on DVD???

I think part of the point of being in the film festival is to showcase it to potential purchasers to put in theatres/on DVD. It was a good enough movie and got a good enough response that you would expect that someone would pick it up. The National Post went so far as to say it could get an Oscar nod for "Best Documentary".

didn't run into Dandu , sorry

That was my fault! I got there fairly late wanted to come to the front of the line to say hello, but didn't want to look like I was muscling in on your hard work in getting there early and didn't want to lose my spot at the back of the line (which ended up being about the halfway point by the time people started entering). My buddy who joined me didn't come until just before the show started. So I was in a bit of a catch-22

An insider claimed that the after party was held at a hotel called " Zoho " or something to that effect. No jam took place and according to the source is doubtful.

Your source seems pretty good! Here are some pics from outside the SoHo Metropolitan where the after party was held:

After Party Pics

First report on the After Party from the National Post:

TIFF: Five things we learned at the It Might Get Loud party

Posted: September 06, 2008, 12:06 PM by Brad Frenette

TIFF 2008, Parties

The party for the Jimmy Page/Jack White/The Edge documentary It Might Get Loud happened last night at Soho. Here are a few things we learned:

5. Two outta three ain't bad.

4. It's hard enough to play classic Led Zeppelin songs acoustically, let alone on a tiny stage in a room full of star-searching revellers with the man who wrote the songs within earshot. But the woman who was hired to do so, did a very fine job indeed.

3. An experienced bartender always keeps the bar open to some degree.

2. Michael J. Fox, Bryan Adams, Mats Sundin, Jimmy Page and Vernon Wells have probably never been in the same room together before last night. And no matter how many times people I heard people dare each other to go ask Mats if he was staying in Toronto, I'm pretty sure no one did. That likely had something to do with Tie Domi sitting beside him.

1. Geoffrey Rush never had his sights on Hollywood. It found him.

2. Michael J. Fox, Bryan Adams, Mats Sundin, Jimmy Page and Vernon Wells have probably never been in the same room together before last night. And no matter how many times people I heard people dare each other to go ask Mats if he was staying in Toronto, I'm pretty sure no one did. That likely had something to do with Tie Domi sitting beside him.

Michael J. Fox is apparently a huge Zeppelin fan. I remember reading he was at the 02 show as well.

Michael J. Fox is apparently a huge Zeppelin fan. I remember reading he was at the 02 show as well.

Didn't know that. Thanks!

Lucky for him he was already scheduled to be in town. He will be inducted into the Canadian Walk of Fame tonight. Wonder whether Jimmy is a Michael J. Fox fan and will go to that... :rolleyes::D

I think Jimmy is getting involved in all these award ceromonies , film projects and olympic games to annoy robert! Theyre is alot of unspoken rivalry there. I really cannot wait to see this, to see Jimmy at Headley would be awesome!.

I wonder if Jimmy is even still in town? Did anyone notice any other celebs there? I know Elisabeth Shue was there since she's married to the director (which I didn't know until yesterday). I passed by Cliff Burnstein which was kind of exciting even though he's technically not a celeb - but still cool since I'm a Metallica fan too. (Well I'm 95% sure it was Cliff) :lol:

What a wonderful night.

The audience was electric, and very responsive to both the film and of course the musicians in the theatre.

The documentary was not only really enjoyable (I don't think I stopped smiling throughout the whole thing), it couldn't be more necessary. At a time of fly-by-night counterfeit fame and cynicism, this film was so refreshing because it showed how unabashed their love for music and their instruments is. You really appreciate the sacrifices each has made, and the struggles they went through to get to where they are. Most importantly, they tap into deep pools of creativity and continue to hone their craft, and that's why they each have a unique sound. Oh, and they come across as really cool people.

The structure of the film is fairly simple, with essentially a series of questions being answered by each of them, interspersed with the round table discussions and jams. While that may not sound too exciting, is actually works very well. Because it is not over stylized, it does not get in the way of what everyone came to see - three musicians discussing their instrument and their craft. It does not have the too fast audio and video editing cuts that seem to creep into films from MTV videos, and so what you get is a finely spaced and paced film with plenty of room and respect for these great explanations and musical treats. As they were talking, some rare photos and footage were shown, so while many Zep fans will be familiar with Pagey's story, seeing these is a treat. But best of all, nothing beats watching Pagey being so excited, animated and accessible. Yes, he really is THAT awesome, and like Plant said long ago, he plays a little left of heaven. You can really see that he's always got a foot in some mysterious creative force and one in ours. Lucky for us, he channels it so very well.

And because the three of them had pretty much equal air time, I'm sure fans of Jack White and the Edge felt the same excitement (side note - I didn't know much about White but became a fan after watching this). It was a cool contrast between White who is about the stripped down pure sound and the Edge who loves to experiment with all that technology has to offer. He even joked about how lame one of his riffs can sound without the techie add-ons. That said, I gained some appreciation about his process. I really loved too the different approaches each of them has to sculpt their respective sounds.

The Q&A afterward was a delight to fans and was itself worth the price of the ticket and the wait in line. Everyone seemed loose and almost playful, definitely giving the vibe like they wanted to be there, and grateful for the warm and deserving reception they received. I would've liked for the Q&A to be longer, and for the audience to have been able to ask some questions (like when is touring again??? With or without 'the others', he's simply got to come and play!). But somehow I ended up in the third row, and feel very lucky and happy to have been there and experienced it all so close.

Music fans will love this.

Zep fans will love it even more.

Pagey fans (especially all you ladies), will be in rapture. You may need a cigarette after :D

So genuine. And like all great experiences, you really enjoy it and yet it leaves you wanting more. Raaaargh!

Twenty-six documentaries have been added to the lineup for the 2008 Toronto International Film Festival.

"It Might Get Loud," directed by Davis Guggenheim, USA (World Premiere)

The Academy Award-winning director of "An Inconvenient Truth" celebrates the electric guitar by examining the creative process of three virtuosos - Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin, The Edge of U2 and Jack White of The White Stripes - including their individual development of songs not yet released.

Linkage

...thanks Dandu and others for all of this effort to keep fans up to date...

after reading this thread one question comes to my mind and I am sure many others...

Does the film limits itself to "technique" of guitar, or does it greatly extends to cultural influences?...the Blues, Celtic, Eastern/Arabic... (relating to Page's travel in early 70's)

Page was a very very passionate musician in a "universal" sense, he had to be, and hopeflully remains such in this film... I don't know why but I think this film may not do justice to his true musicianship...I hope I am wrong...

..Basically what is Page's contribution to the film?...I really do want to see the film, but it appears it may not be theatrically released...

PlanetPage ( a fine name if I may say so ) -- lol

I assure you that JP's input was sincere and genuinely thorough.

He discusses his early days in the studio in great detail , and then takes great joy in explaining his musical influences as a child. However , perhaps a part of what you're saying is true, there are no references to the latter years , meaning the 70's.

So the whole middle eastern portion was not covered , but the director was adept at capturing what is that drives these guitarists. A great insight.

Watching JP smile like a child while reminiscing about his skittle days is something to see.

Good news ---

Someone within the film industry said that this film will definitely see the light of day on one of the many fine cable channels that feature documentary style programing.

Discovery and Bravo were mentioned.

My opinion is that this project will be picked up nationally and see cinema's first.

It's that well done .

...thanks Dandu and others for all of this effort to keep fans up to date...

after reading this thread one question comes to my mind and I am sure many others...

Does the film limits itself to "technique" of guitar, or does it greatly extends to cultural influences?...the Blues, Celtic, Eastern/Arabic... (relating to Page's travel in early 70's)

Page was a very very passionate musician in a "universal" sense, he had to be, and hopefully remains such in this film... I don't know why but I think this film may not do justice to his true musicianship...I hope I am wrong...

..Basically what is Page's contribution to the film?...I really do want to see the film, but it appears it may not be theatrically released...

Certainly there was a lot of focus on the blues influences. Not as much (if any) on the other influences. That said, I think it does justice to Jimmy, and you won't be disappointed.

I don't want to give too much away, but early on in the film there is a scene with Jimmy standing alone in a room playing Ramble On. No bass, no drums no vocals. Just Jimmy. When it is stripped down like that you get such an appreciation for just how creative it is. It starts so soft and melodically. It sucks you in then suddenly on comes the distortion and blows you back into your chair. Just as soon it is back to soft and melodic and so on and so on. It was so cool to see it played this way. I was sitting with a buddy who has probably never heard the song and the look on his face was priceless. Probably much like the look on my face the first time I heard zep.

Tons more examples, but I don't want to ruin it for those who haven't seen it.

PlanetPage ( a fine name if I may say so ) -- lol

I assure you that JP's input was sincere and genuinely thorough.

He discusses his early days in the studio in great detail , and then takes great joy in explaining his musical influences as a child. However , perhaps a part of what you're saying is true, there are no references to the latter years , meaning the 70's.

So the whole middle eastern portion was not covered , but the director was adept at capturing what is that drives these guitarists. A great insight.

Watching JP smile like a child while reminiscing about his skittle days is something to see.

Good news ---

Someone within the film industry said that this film will definitely see the light of day on one of the many fine cable channels that feature documentary style programing.

Discovery and Bravo were mentioned.

My opinion is that this project will be picked up nationally and see cinema's first.

It's that well done .

...thanks a lot Zepp-4-Life for your answers...I am looking forward to watching this film, but now that you have mentioned that he did not talk about his Arabic/Eastern influence, it does leave a "gap" and perhaps their older fans and (new fans) could have appreciated their masterpiece "Kashmir" truly..it would have been great education for all fans...but nevertheless, I will most definitely watch the film.

Archived